Suggestion for wirless in-ear headphones?

Please feel free to post topics about metal detector headphones here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Headphones
Beany_bot

Suggestion for wirless in-ear headphones?

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:04 am

Two things bug me about my headphones (Koss)

1. The wire just plain annoys me
2. I dont need/want big DJ headphones slipping around my head.

So I thought wireless in-ear headphones. But not really sure which to get (for my exp2), any suggestions would be much appreciated. Being Scottish, the cheaper the better within reason. Want them to work good and last.

Thanks.

Ash_

Re: Suggestion for wirless in-ear headphones?

Post by Ash_ » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:02 am

Sony do some Bluetooth ones, they have a band that goes round the back of the head. I think the style is called neckband headphones. Then you get a little bluetooth transmitter (from ebay) to plug in the machine.
My Metal Detecting YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/imetaldetect

Ash_

Post by Ash_ » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:09 am

Something like these

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkm ... 610-series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but maybe without so many bells and whistles.
My Metal Detecting YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/imetaldetect

Nigel at regtons

Post by Nigel at regtons » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:11 am

& then invest in a calendar so that you can be reminded when to receive the signal from the machine :D

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 am

Nigel at regtons wrote:& then invest in a calendar so that you can be reminded when to receive the signal from the machine :D
Is there quite a delay? Could make locating the target a nightmare

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:19 pm

all bluetooth headphones have a delay mate, and yes it can be a nightmare ;)

neil.
Just using the Force Image

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:32 pm

THE MOLE wrote:all bluetooth headphones have a delay mate, and yes it can be a nightmare ;)

neil.
Yep, bad lag with bluetooth. You need RF phones.....http://www.tdkperformance.com/en-eu/Hea ... nes/WR700/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Lemmy

Post by Lemmy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm

The TDK WR700 seem good, and are selling for £63.50 at the moment on a well known auction site, anyone tried them ? ::g
Minelab Safari

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Nigel at regtons wrote:& then invest in a calendar so that you can be reminded when to receive the signal from the machine :D

Hi Nigel , while I understand that you can't really promote cordless headphones , I have an AT-PRO that I bought from you in august , and I would like to get cordless headphones for them .As the main distributor , for garrett , can you not let them know there could be a market , for cordless headphone in this country for all their models of detector , I will be buying The TDK WR700 for my machine I would really value your input on this , thanks mate ::g ::g unless you can suggest an alternative , to use ,,

MarkSussex

Post by MarkSussex » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:53 pm

I've had a pair for a while now and they have been brilliant, minimal lag but If you are not swinging the coil like a madman, you don't notice it. Also with the headphones they switch off after a certain amount of time If no noise is going through them, the hum of the threshold on my etrac, solves that problem and I don'#t suffer with the problem.

All in all, a really good set of headphones. ::g

Lemmy wrote:The TDK WR700 seem good, and are selling for £63.50 at the moment on a well known auction site, anyone tried them ? ::g
Check out my youtube channel

XP Deus Detecting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS-zm ... Pow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:01 pm

taken from tdk website

There is a delay of 0.125 seconds during transmission from the audio source to the wireless headphones. The delay is required to give the headphones an opportunity to request a retransmission of data or to select a new frequency channel when interference is detected, greatly improving the quality and reliability of the audio signal. Unfortunately, when playing a musical instrument the time delay is unexpected, making it very difficult to simultaneously play and listen. Professional wireless in-ear monitors and instrument pickup systems are designed for minimal delay using analog VHF radios.

so they do have a delay be it minimal ::g

neil.
Just using the Force Image

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:28 am

Nigel is right. As such all Bluetooth headphones currently available are no good for metal detecting but are just usable if you are happy listening to a delay in signal however small. They even admit they are not good for using an Instrument in music. Perfectly ok for listening to music generally.

I know for a fact that there will be genuine Bluetooth earbud headphones available in the near future that will have total zero lag. They have been in use now for over 12 months in the US on a CTX under test and they work perfectly. They will be in the ear type buds powered by small lithium rechargeables and will work on any detector with a normal headphone socket. Battery life will hopefully be a full day in the field. When all the systems are finally tested, and production issues are sorted they will be available for sale. Theres no indication on price yet Im afraid. Keep watching my posts on this forum and on my own Detectorbits website, thats all I can say for the moment. I honestly think that these will be the answer to all our cable problems with headphones. Not everybody can afford expensive detectors like the CTX, Deus or Whites that have their own wireless systems.

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 am

It's impossible to get zero lag if using bluetooth however some companies have the technology to reduce the delay by using special chips or clever codecs, to get it to a point where most people cant notice the delay. One such technology is called aptX and its been in use in high-end equipment from the top manufacturers like Sony, etc, for about a year. Unfortunately its expensive stuff and not in-ear like you wanted but as that's not available yet you don't really have that as an option at the moment.

http://www.csr.com/products/aptx-low-latency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read about some waterproof in-ear phones for swimmers 6 months ago but can't find the info any more. Its only a matter of time before the technology gets miniaturised and marketed though.

The battery tech also isn't really there yet. Some Lithium batteries if they get wet can end up exploding. Just imagine that happening in someones ear if it wasnt sealed up properly, would be nightmare PR.
There are some rechargeable hearing aid batteries nowadays but in order to power a wireless device I can't see them lasting very long. The best design would probably look like a hearing aid, with a battery pack behind the ear, like google glass.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:05 am

I forgot to mention that if you are DIY savvy and you have a smartphone then you can make a low power FM transmitter to connect to the detector which communicates with the phone in your pocket, effectively making your detector wireless. You do need to fiddle around to get the correct frequency but its easy enough. You can use any sort of earbuds you want then. ::g
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:12 pm

I also looked into wireless h/phones for my Goldmaxx Power and got some to try. Although they e are in my opinion, the best of the none specific types available, the slight delay was never a problem. I finally went for a pair of XP WS3's which really are worth investing in. ::g ::g but pricey!! The TDK's are now used with my laptop and are very effective in that role. I should add that concerning the 'switching off' problem with the TDK's, this does not occur so long as there is a 'threshold' or occasional iron target signal to produce the necessary iron 'grunt'. ::g
Good Luck to all and a Happy Christmas ::g ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Metal Detector Headphones”