Headphones - L & R

Please feel free to post topics about metal detector headphones here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Headphones
Saffron

Headphones - L & R

Post by Saffron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:02 pm

I am below quota for cups of coffee so apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.

The headphones I have had always have the one earcup marked "L" and the other "R" for left and right. But what difference does it make which earcup goes on which ear, the shapes are identical so its not for a better fit :-/

Evan

Fusion

Re: Headphones - L & R

Post by Fusion » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Please, drink more coffee.

Try watching a movie with headphones reversed. When the squadron of Spitfires approach from the right, and you hear them coming from the left, you'll be wanting to swap them round.
:(

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 pm

No such thing as a stupid question

As Fusion said.......... ::g re left and right

all the detectors won't out put stereo as far as I know, the sound would be sent in mono to both left and right so no real issue.

Some over ear cups are shaped to allow for the ear shape to fit also may be designed to fit with comfort in mind on head band. My Bose noise cancelling over ear phones only fit properly the correct way round

As for ear buds, some it doesn't matter too much but back to as Fusion said again re sound direction, for a detector I don't think it matters as its in mono, but some are shaped especially the sports ones that have a clip like thing that fits over the back of the ear

Regards Steve

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 pm

Steve, there are a few stereo detectors out there, notably the US-made Nautilus machines, but among others there's the Rutus Jupiter, and the newer Alter, and the White's V3i, I think? All of them do 'mixed-mode', with a disc tone in one ear, and all-metal in the other. I guess you may have preferences which ear gets which channel, so fitting your headphones 'reversed' may be an option. But re-wiring them (swapping L and R, leaving Ground unaltered) would work if the headphones were not symmetrical, eg. XP backphones.
Other reasons 'phones may not be symmetrical include those with a single cable going to one earcup only (with an internal cable running to the other earcup). If you wanted the cable to always be on a particular side, you may have to re-wire them if you're using a mixed-mode detector.
And then there's the type of 'phones with independant volume controls for each ear. If you're hard of hearing, I said if you're hard of hearing, you may have them set quite different, and putting them on your head the wrong way round isn't going to work...
:(

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks guys.

Re "Please, drink more coffee.", I normally do. But before retiring I had a final health check and knowing the doctor would go nuts if I admitted to the amount of coffee I drunk I halfed the true figure, I still got a right telling off for drinking too much!! - good job he did not know the true figure. But since finishing work I am less stressed so drink less.

Re "Try watching a movie with headphones reversed. When the squadron of Spitfires approach from the right, and you hear them coming from the left, you'll be wanting to swap them round." I am not too worried about getting it wrong in a movie but when WWIII starts in the next few months due to North Korea and the USA I would be worried about knowing which way the missiles or MIGs were comming from!.

If watching something like a movie with stereo output I understand the rational of having the headphones marked.

Likewise if they are shaped differently so only properly fit the one way around.

But like Steve I was under the impression that all detectors were mono. The two I have (a Garrett and Makro Racer 2) certainly are so supplying them with headhones marked L & R and identical shaping seemed to make no sense, hence the question.

So basically if you have one of the few machines with stereo output, or the phones are shaped differently or have independant volume controls for each ear there is a valid reason for the L & R and using them the correct way around.
But in a case like mine, and the majority of cases, where the machine is mono and the headphones are shaped the same then it makes no difference what so ever.

Evan

Return to “Metal Detector Headphones”