Poor Man's Bluetooth Headphone Setup?

Please feel free to post topics about metal detector headphones here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Headphones
detectorman5050

Poor Man's Bluetooth Headphone Setup?

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:17 pm

I was wondering what you thought of this 'poor man's' bluetooth setup for metal detectors.

I was thinking of getting something similar to the following. It's a bluetooth transmitter you stick in the headphone jack. I am providing this link as an example, and not suggesting that anyone buy the following:

No Ebay links allowed, sorry, Liam

You can then pair the above with bluetooth headphones, and voila you have wireless headphones 'on the cheap.'

Is this is a good plan, or what? I was thinking of trying it with my Makro Racer.

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

Easylife

Re: Poor Man's Bluetooth Headphone Setup?

Post by Easylife » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:15 pm

I think that some work much better than others and one main aspect is the latency / delay of transmitting. Even if there is a noticeable delay before hearing the target signal, you could still pinpoint with the detector to accurately dig. That one may work great or not so, but not too much money to gamble and you can always use it for music. ;)
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

daparat

Post by daparat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:00 am

Was looking at similar things

Jimtom

Post by Jimtom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Looks like a good idea. There will be a delay/lag in the signal, some headsets are better than others. Don't forget a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter if you've got the big plug :)

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Here is my 'poorman's bluetooth' setup. Total cost to me about £19.50. Yes, I'm sure there will be some lag, but can't complain at that price!

I got the headphones in Tesco for £12.50 (Kitsound Slammers,) and the bluetooth transmitter off Ebay second hand, for about £7.

The headphones deliver quite a 'punchy signal.'

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

James G

Post by James G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 am

For low latency transmitter try https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7days ... wh2-ds-184

and for headphones

Can confirm this works superbly in the field

the-roman

Post by the-roman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am

There are some really interesting things out there to play around with. Thank you too for posting the links so we can all see what exactly is around. It helps out a lot. shame the ebay ones were not allowed when others are. I don't get that bit. it's this sort of thing that helps people out who are on a low budget. Well done for posting ::g ::g ::g
Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

cookertron

Post by cookertron » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 am

I have a TaoTronics Bluetooth 4.1 aptX low latency transmitter with Senbowe wireless headphones (also with aptX). I love it and never have a problem.

I will say this though, make sure you get a good quality cable joining the detector to the Bluetooth module. I've tried 3.5mm (jack both ends) cable into a 6.35mm adapter and that fails quite quickly as do cheap 3.5mm to 6.35mm all-in-one cables. I tried to look for the cable I purchased for you but can't find the order now. If I find it I'll update this reply with a link :)

Edit:
Found it... Neutrik Mini Stereo 3.5mm Jack to Mono Cable 6.3mm Jack (eBay)

Ant
Today Red, Tomorrow Dead

DionAstro

Post by DionAstro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 am

cookertron wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 am
Edit:
Found it... Neutrik Mini Stereo 3.5mm Jack to Mono Cable 6.3mm Jack (eBay)

Ant
You will never go wrong with Neutrik kit, their connectors are very highly regarded in the audio industry.

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Am looking for cordless headphones now ..as I've broken two pairs of wired headphones in a month and am already tired of the constantly getting tangled or snagged when I'm digging and retrieving. I've tried ear plugs, but they fall out too easily every time I bend over a hole and the wire gets pulled, so I'd like to find a pair of over the ear cordless phones which are reasonably snug fitting and yet do not pinch m' old lugs.

I gather from the above - a low latency transmitter is required to minimise lag, but what about the headphones themselves do they need to be low latency as well ?

I'm a big fella with have a round shape of head, so any recommendation from persons of similar size n' shape would be appreciated.

Otherwise, any updates to this Poor Man's topic ?

Thanks,
Bfg. ::g
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm

I've made a decision, for better or for worse, and followed James G's (above) recommendation with their Fusion low-latency transmitter, from 7DAYSHOP which is 'on offer while stocks last' at £17 inc postage. And from the same store I've gone for their 'Aero Freedom Wireless Headphones' for a little under £41 inc post. These have dial volume controls and 15 hour battery life when their noise cancelling is off.

Next week we'll see how they do in conjunction with my E-trac.

Bfg ::g
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Return to “Metal Detector Headphones”