Roundshot

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules

Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....
H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Wigeon

Roundshot

Post by Wigeon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:08 pm

This round shot was dug up a few years ago by one of our parish council staff about 250 yards from our medieval church. I have only just become aware of it.

Our church has some civil war period damage on the west front but this was inflicted with case shot 1.5 inch balls in clusters.

This ball is cast iron and weights 2lbs 3.3ozs (1,002 grams). It is not truly spherical with measurements between 2.58 inches (65.33mm) and 2.35 inches (59.69mm).
There is no clear evidence of impact, nor can I see any hint of a casting line.

Norman Cross Napoleonic prison depot is only about three quarters of a mile away and the current owner of the ball has speculated that it came from there. However we know that 6 pounders were stationed on the main gates and 3 pounder swivel guns in the central blockhouse. I would have thought that musket balls would have been loaded for close quarter riot control though ?

A bit of a mystery. What are your thoughts please ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

Koala

Re: Roundshot

Post by Koala » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 am

difficult one as weighs approximately correct for solid iron

but seems a bit to perfect for cannon shot.

Don't know. Could be

or is it agricultural ?
bb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lewscope79

Post by lewscope79 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Is that not a ball bearing above? Its been electroplated. Hence the shine

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 pm

the one above I posted is just an old chrome plated agricultural ball bearing to show they go up to 3" diameter and to bump the post as it was about to drop of the bottom without any replies

the original post could be civil war. But would have expected it to be made in a much cruder fashion and my gut feeling is more machinery the weapon but am no expert in Canon balls.

neither it would appear some auction houses as I have seen a flypress counter weight listed as a cannon ball

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:09 pm

My ball is definitely iron, with no sign of any coating at all.

I doubt that is it a bearing of any type as it is too far out of the spherical.

We have no record of a powder mill or similar, where iron balls could be used as part of the reducing process.

I suspect it may be civil war from a small field artillery piece but perhaps we will never know for sure.

Cromwell's soldiers certainly wrecked nearby Peterborough cathedral. A troupe of dragoons under the command of one Captain Richard Beaumont were billeted here, broke into our parish church and did a fair bit of damage too.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Not really a standard size but early cannons weren't. The slight mishape also suggests that, if it really is a cannon ball, it is early. I like it anyway. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm

fred wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm
Not really a standard size but early cannons weren't. The slight mishape also suggests that, if it really is a cannon ball, it is early. I like it anyway. ::g
Exactly so Fred. We got visited early in the civil war ….June 1643, so well before things got more standardised in the parliamentary army. Could be earlier even. Evidently Elizabethan militia kept their armaments in our church tower. Unfortunately we cannot find the original documents that tell us what field artillery pieces they had.

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”