Tragic death in our Norman town.

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
littleboot

Tragic death in our Norman town.

Post by littleboot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:56 pm

I thought I'd post this story here as it is so appalling....but sadly it isn't surprising.
It is a regular occurrence in Normandy for the bomb disposal teams to be called out to deal with WWII ammo of varying sorts. As one might expect. Only last week the roadworks on a quiet stretch of road between Orbec and Livarot were halted because of an 'obus'....a shell. We'd driven past just the day before. It was safely dealt with.
(Apparently the team deals with 15 tons of such material every year.)

The incident that happened in our nearest town....a medieval town that, ironically, escaped unscathed while other towns were virtually flattened.....ended rather differently. https://t.co/FK4e2aNzG4
https://t.co/ywy46Fecfa

It turns out this chap was keeping shells in his cellar. One of them exploded and killed him. Perhaps the most shocking aspect is his wife and child were also in the house. Mercifully unharmed (physically at least). How could anyone be so lost to common sense as to do such a thing? With his own child in the house! There were other shells in his basement and the bomb squad had to deal with them...most of that street were evacuated as this ensued.
Collecting WWII ammo is a huge obsession in Normandy....when we detect it is the thing we get asked about most. It changes hands for a lot of money I suppose. Conversations usually go: ' We know a cave where we think German ammunition was stored. Will you come over with your machine an have a search? '
And my response: Not on your nelly (or words to that effect)...but thanks for letting me know so I can give it a wide berth!

GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

cantona1

Re: Tragic death in our Norman town.

Post by cantona1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Really strange thing to do, especially given that the streets are very small, it could have set the rest off and taken 1\2 the houses with it.
Very brave guys those ordnance boys to do that time after time knowing that one day........
Cantona1

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Many thanks for posting this very timely reminder .. things that can go bang in the night. Its what I have been bleating on about for ages, and thankfully incidences of crass stupidity seem to be on the decline... but there is always going to be at least one idiot prepared to dig up, and then take home unexploded weaponry.
They should have an O'level in "how not to behave like a ttarp, and how not to die like one"
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Exactly what motivates people to do such patently dangerous things is a mystery, but he paid for it and his family will continue to pay for it for many years to come.

A sad but salutary tale.
John

Roger Williams

Post by Roger Williams » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Hello all, I know this is slightly different, but still frightening. This Grand Slam bomb was used as a gate guardian at RAF Scampton until the late 1950s and needed to be moved to widen the road. The crane couldnt move it and it was assumed it had been filled with concrete.......it hadnt. Its been estimated that if it had exploded, RAF Scampton would have dissapeared, plus much of Northern Lincoln !.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Roger Williams wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 pm
Hello all, I know this is slightly different, but still frightening. This Grand Slam bomb was used as a gate guardian at RAF Scampton until the late 1950s and needed to be moved to widen the road. The crane couldnt move it and it was assumed it had been filled with concrete.......it hadnt. Its been estimated that if it had exploded, RAF Scampton would have dissapeared, plus much of Northern Lincoln !.
and the crane operator ... would have been the first to go.

If all my "in your face" warnings ... when yet another unexploded device surfaces ... saves one life, one limb, .... one finger... then its "job done" in my book. Sadly not everyone sees life like I do B-) B-) B-)

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Roger Williams wrote:
Its been estimated that if it had exploded, RAF Scampton would have dissapeared, plus much of Northern Lincoln !.
And bang would have gone my first posting. Sorry, that pun was handed to me on a plate, couldn’t resist.

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 pm

I found 2 mills and 1 WW1 trench german mortar shell in the Thames called bomb squad thrice........

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:57 pm

JWL wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 pm
Roger Williams wrote:
Its been estimated that if it had exploded, RAF Scampton would have dissapeared, plus much of Northern Lincoln !.
And bang would have gone my first posting. Sorry, that pun was handed to me on a plate, couldn’t resist.
I did the rounds back in the 60's and 70's
Dishforth
Thorny island
Abingdon
Stanbridge
Lyneham
Northolt
Did our paths cross?

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:04 am

I just don't get why any sane person would choose to keep unstable live shells anywhere, never mind under their house! Clearly not a very healthy obsession as has been demonstrated. Let's just hope the other collectors of these deadly devices take heed, but probably not. ;;z
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil, 2nd Garrett Carrot. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:18 pm
Many thanks for posting this very timely reminder .. things that can go bang in the night. Its what I have been bleating on about for ages, and thankfully incidences of crass stupidity seem to be on the decline... but there is always going to be at least one idiot prepared to dig up, and then take home unexploded weaponry.
They should have an O'level in "how not to behave like a ttarp, and how not to die like one"
"O'level"!!! :)) :))
You're so old, Oldartefact!!
You crack me up!! =)) =))
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Easylife wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:04 am
I just don't get why any sane person would choose to keep unstable live shells anywhere, never mind under their house! Clearly not a very healthy obsession as has been demonstrated. Let's just hope the other collectors of these deadly devices take heed, but probably not. ;;z
You've hit the detonator on the head!!! Boom baby!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Ravenrook wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm
oldartefact wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:18 pm
"O'level"!!! :)) :))
You're so old, Oldartefact!!
You crack me up!! =)) =))
Yeah the O'levels ... they went bang also !!! ::g ::g ::g

Return to “Military - Ordnance”