Bullet ID

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
Steve_T

Bullet ID

Post by Steve_T » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi
Could someone give some details on this bullet, diameter of 13mm

Found 3 in total this is in the best condition of them.

Heavy at 46 grams, what is the core made of, one damaged one doesn't look like a lead core

Regards Steve

IMG_20181010_181728459-590x1133.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Re: Bullet ID

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Looks like an Armour Piercing .50 BMG. AP rounds, even just the projectile is illegal to own, so will need to go off to the police. ::g

Best regards,

Simon
Military Firearms and Ammunition Historian, and published author to that effect! 12 years experience of collecting, researching and hands on shooting of WW2 weaponry!

https://wartimedalditchcamp.wordpress.com/about/

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Thank you for that ::g

Will take to the police station and get rid, from looking at other types was pretty sure it was not an incendiary when i saw it as they have two rings around from memory?

What material is it made of to pierce armour ?

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------

Albert Einstein

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Steve_T wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 pm
Thank you for that ::g

Will take to the police station and get rid, from looking at other types was pretty sure it was not an incendiary when i saw it as they have two rings around from memory?

What material is it made of to pierce armour ?

Regards Steve

They have a hardened steel core inside the copper jacket, a magnet will stick to the side of the bullet and incendiary rounds have a light blue tip, I've found a few of those intact as live rounds in fact I've rarely found fired bullets of this calibre, virtually all the ones that come up here in East Anglia are complete, perhaps they were jettisoned from stricken aircraft?

When discovered dig an even deeper hole and rebury, I'm not keen on transporting them anywhere.

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:46 pm

MilitaryMetalMagnut wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 pm
Looks like an Armour Piercing .50 BMG. AP rounds, even just the projectile is illegal to own, so will need to go off to the police. ::g

Best regards,

Simon
Out of interest why is it illegal to own a 'spent' armour piercing round? Surely it's no different to any other spent round(excluding incendiary of course)?

chip

Post by chip » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:56 pm

In case it is recycled I should imagine.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Raptorman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Best regards,

Simon
Out of interest why is it illegal to own a 'spent' armour piercing round? Surely it's no different to any other spent round(excluding incendiary of course)?
It does seem odd, indeed, as an AP is just a bit of high speed steel with some copper around it. But, like Incendiary, Tracer, etc, live AP rounds are classed as section 5 ammunition (the illegal stuff section), so even having just a projectile on its own is illegal as could be reloaded to make live section 5 ammo. ::g

Best regards,

Simon
Military Firearms and Ammunition Historian, and published author to that effect! 12 years experience of collecting, researching and hands on shooting of WW2 weaponry!

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Simon is very correct, except for one tiny detail. Tracer aren't illegal to possess. Standard ball and tracer are the only ones noted quoted in section 5 1A(g) of the firearms act.
www.stephentaylorhistorian.com

Lots of videos of WW2 relics being recovered on my channel! Go view it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg"

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 pm
Raptorman wrote:

Best regards,

Simon
It does seem odd, indeed, as an AP is just a bit of high speed steel with some copper around it. But, like Incendiary, Tracer, etc, live AP rounds are classed as section 5 ammunition (the illegal stuff section), so even having just a projectile on its own is illegal as could be reloaded to make live section 5 ammo. ::g

Best regards,

Simon
I see, but surely any bullet can be 're-loaded' into a cartridge to make live ammunition?

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Raptorman wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 pm
Raptorman wrote:

Best regards,

Simon
I see, but surely any bullet can be 're-loaded' into a cartridge to make live ammunition?
It's possible.
Having done reloading myself, you need a firearms licence to make live rounds with ordinary bullets (Lead, copper jacketed), making the 'special' types of ammo requires a Section 5 licence. Not forgetting a firearms licence to buy in the gunpowder and primers. ::g

Regards,

Simon

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Don't worry chaps, they have been handed into the police.

The process is likely to put a lot of people off and I know what I will do next time ::g

If I come across any more which is highly unlikely if you know what I mean, but if i do they will be safely treated and never see the light of day again or get in the wrong hands

Regards Steve

Albert Einstein

chip

Post by chip » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 pm

I had a .50 Cal incendiary bullet, took it to two police stations both closed ;;z the first one had a sign on the door saying to use the phone on the wall next to the door. So went to use the phone which had a sign on it saying only use this phone in an emergency for all over reasons use 101. B|

The other police station was now luxury flats :-L

I disposed of the bullet myself.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”