Roberts Research Labs, cutter, cartridge activated

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
Jungle

Roberts Research Labs, cutter, cartridge activated

Post by Jungle » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Model A1-4 SEC
RRL 0881

Found next to Salisbury plain.

It now out of the house as from limited information I can find, may contain explosive.

Anyone have anymore information?

DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

Saki

Re: Roberts Research Labs, cutter, cartridge activated

Post by Saki » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:58 pm

If its RRL, then it only existed after 1964.
This is the most vague post.
And lots of alarm bells and red flags going off everywhere with MDF users typing Bomb or Mine or Missile into Google .
I hope you have informed the relevant authorities and you are safe.
Some more info for the MDF might be appreciated ::g :D ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 pm

It looked like a promotional item such as a thin led torch which might have been dropped by a vet. 5mm x 60mm cylindrical, red. Cutter to me initially suggested it had a fine retractable blade for cutting glass vials.

Still don't know what it is. Part of a safety mechanism for pilots breathing equipment which is deployed on seat ejection?
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Jungle wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:58 pm
Model A1-4 SEC
RRL 0881

Found next to Salisbury plain.

It now out of the house as from limited information I can find, may contain explosive.

Anyone have anymore information?
A photo is worth a thousand words....to an ID'er - Regards ss4
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 am

It sounds like a cutter for electrical lines......
http://aldsystems.com/products/CMA8.html

Could also be "live"

https://aerobasegroup.com/part-number/A ... 0-489-1527
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 am

Yes JCM, similar.

One of the most valuable items I've found in this field!

I wonder how it arrived in the field, no other evidence.

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:29 pm

I don't exactly know what you have found, however the 4-Sec in the military world would normally be associated with a delay on a detonator or primer of some description, ie a four second delay before it initiates. Main Pylon overhead power lines have explosive couplings that explode to separate the lines at the nearest point should a dead short circuit occur, they are concealed in the insulators at the point where each cable meets the next section, they explode to blow the wires apart as an obvious visible fault and to ensure the wire cant reconnect by blowing in the wind, and clear the gap far enough to stop any arcing, like railway detonators and airbag charges they are explosive and should be stored safely and only handled by trained personnel. Identifying something without a picture is not good, the markings on military kit and similar items often means nothing even to the people that use them and are often just for manufacturers to record specific batches for safety reasons. Good luck.

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:21 pm

If indeed it is an ald adaptor then it poses no threat, however the comment that it was found "next to Salisbury Plain" - an area that expressly forbids the removal of items that may be ordnance under the threat of heavy fines, not to mention the risk to life and limb concerns me.

The Police will also take a very dim view of such antics. In future I would suggest that if you don't know what it is then leave it be. Photograph if need be but don't take it home. Contact Police on 101 if you feel it is in a place where it may be picked up by a child for example.

If it does contain any explosive charge you have already broken the law by possessing it.
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Return to “Military - Ordnance”