Wartime relic exhibition display.

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
MilitaryMetalMagnut

Wartime relic exhibition display.

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 am

Hi all

On Saturday just gone, I was asked to take part in a Wartime exhibition, with my own display of artefacts of my local wartime history, here in Devon. So, I thought I would do some pics!

Dalditch camp was a training camp for the Royal Marine commandos, just outside of Exmouth Devon, on Woodbury common. It was built in the summer of 1941 and was closed down in November 1946, with around 6-7,000 troops stationed there at it's height. The camp played a vital role in the training of men in the run up to D-Day, with also the Americans training there for the upcoming invasion. Much of the camp today is just rubble and foundations. The various rifle ranges, ammunition storage buildings and anti-gas decontamination chambers are all that is still standing today.
The entire table (with the exception of the deactivated firearms and a few other little bits!) were all recovered by me from the site.
With firearms and Small Arms Ammunition being my area of expertise, my knowledge of cartridges, led to the discovery of several different ranges that have long been forgotten and undocumented (a PIAT range, rifle grenade range, sniper range, to name but a few). I’ve just got a very small selection of what cartridges I have found, displayed on the table.

I must stress that all of the ordnance is all inert!!

Additionally, my work recovering relics and preserving the history of this site sparked some interest. Back in April, I was also asked by the Commandant of the nearby Royal Marine camp to conduct a guided tour around the remains of the old wartime camp, along with the RSM and the Leftenant. Here, we're inspecting the butts of the old 25 yard rifle range, you can just see my brown coat at the back!

Was a brilliant day out :)

Best regards,

Simon

Military Firearms and Ammunition Historian, and published author to that effect! 12 years experience of collecting, researching and hands on shooting of WW2 weaponry!

https://wartimedalditchcamp.wordpress.com/about/

sweepstick47

Re: Wartime relic exhibition display.

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 am

Hello Simon ::g That's a fine display you've produced ::g Been involved with Army Display teams and military Tattoo's so I can appreciate just how much thought and effort goes into the designing of the stands alone. Excellent photo's too, thanks for sharing your exhibits::g Regards ss47.
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 am

Top display indeed. ::g ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am

Brilliant Simon - well done! ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Et scrutatus est, et inventum: et effossa

chip

Post by chip » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 am

Being born in the early seventies I was brought up watching war films, had toy guns, toy soldiers and action men and Regularly played war with my friends. All the pensioners of the time had lived through and many had fought in the war (some being quick to remind you when you kicked a ball in their garden) and despite it having ended thirty years or more previously it still played a large part in my childhood. And it’s because of this I still have a great respect and admiration for our armed forces.

Three of my nieces have 4 boys between 5 and 10 and I don’t think they have a toy gun or soldier between them and they probably have never given the war a first thought never mind a second. Which many would think could only be a good thing brought about by the many years of peace time we have been lucky to have enjoyed. And now there are very few of the people who fought in the war still with us it is starting to slip beyond living memory.

So I think displays like yours are all the more important now to remind us what life was like then and what great sacrifices were made by the many who fought and lived through it.

Keep up the good work.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Well done.

Huge amount of effort.

A lot of our more modern history is being lost.

A brick hut near me was just flatterned when Whimpy built some houses. It was for the opperators of the barrage ballon.

Its hard to get people interested in the more modern history.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Good work, well done ! Sharing the results of our hobby with our communities is so rewarding and such a boost for positive opinions of the hobby of metal detecting. ::g
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

Count de Washers

Post by Count de Washers » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Super display, fine work!

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi MMM, I follow your exploits from Canada and like all things military, my collections are from three wars , the one I find most interesting is the war of 1812 between Britain and the US been able to get onto a lot of sites that were going under the bulldozer salvaging some interesting bits.
I also get requested to show-n-tell with displays...Also I have like you found WW1 and WW2 training areas which resulted in some nice finds.....HH...Johnnn
1812 Howizter shell segmented with contents.JPG
1812 cannonballs.JPG
IMG_3644.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Simon,
Well done with the display and also on keeping a memory alive of the camp for future generations. As you already know my Grandfather was there for a while, "Joined 9th Battalion at Dalditch as Cpl,"extracted from his RMAS, newsletter profile of 1987. If he was still here today, he would have been impressed with your efforts. Have been looking at your blog about Dalditch this morning, really fascinating and well researched.
Now you have a connection with the Marines, may lead to doors opening for you, on further research. Every artifact recovered adds to the story.
Appreciate your passion for this subject.
Cheers ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Brilliant stuff, I lent my WW11 collection of ordnance to a primary school teacher for her to show the class, if you don't know about your history how can you avoid making the same mistakes again??

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 pm

I would had loved to have seen that, ::g
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:45 am

Hi chaps,

Many thanks, indeed! The table is the result of 9 years of work and I'm continuously adding to it. Was a really great day of displaying, met a few people who could remember certain events on the common during the war.
It is a shame that as time progresses, the memory is gradually fading. But, It was really great to see some children at the exhibition on Saturday, keenly interested in my display, keeping the history alive.

::g ::g ::g

Best Regards,

Simon
Military Firearms and Ammunition Historian, and published author to that effect! 12 years experience of collecting, researching and hands on shooting of WW2 weaponry!

https://wartimedalditchcamp.wordpress.com/about/

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 am

Well done Simon, a great display and always good to get feedback and further anecdotes from those that still remember their experiences there.

Happy hunting!
W [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”