Finding LIVE Ammunition

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
Justme18

Re: Finding LIVE Ammunition

Post by Justme18 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi guys, wow thanks for'the replies but no worries. I found out they're British not german. They are loaded still but no longer dangerous according to a military friend who takes care of old ammo and bombs. Also I now have 78 after looking a bit longer. I was very glad to hear that I could keep them.
I have them now in my garage all cleaned up now seeing they are brass.

My location is near Luxembourg by a village called Bure where was a big battle in the second world war.

Greetings from here ::g

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Nice part of the World, ::g

British 303 cartridges look very different to the German type because of the pronounced rim at the bottom. Try detecting along the edges of locations as it all got dumped in ditches or in foxholes/trenches after the fighting was done.

W [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

ICENI

Post by ICENI » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am

Went to my local Police Station with 6 live 303 bullets tried to hand them over to the officer on duty but she would not accept them as the armoury was locked up , my response to her was do you realise its an offence for me to have these in my possession , her response as i said the armoury is locked end of conversation .
Garret Seahunter mk 2. with 10" x 14" Elliptical Coil.
Vallon VMH3CS
Nox 600 with 15" coil

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 am

It may have been worth phoning them first to see if there was an appropriate time to hand them in. Or I guess you could have just left them on the counter and walked out but that isn't helpful.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 56 Hammered

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 am

ICENI wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am
Went to my local Police Station with 6 live 303 bullets tried to hand them over to the officer on duty but she would not accept them as the armoury was locked up , my response to her was do you realise its an offence for me to have these in my possession , her response as i said the armoury is locked end of conversation .
Perhaps you should have reminded the officer that ammunition should never be stored in
'The Armoury' as that would co-locate them with weapons! Ammunition should be stored in the 'Magazine', though I can guess what the reply would have been! Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:31 am

ICENI wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am
You attempted to do the right thing, well done.

Unfortunately nowadays there are fewer Police stations, armouries as less armed Police units per county. Yes, phoning in before is always worth remembering. Alternatively rebury them deeper, note the location with GPS or leave with the landowner and say you will contact the Police.

It pays to be polite to them, you never know when you might run into them again ;)

W. [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”