Finding LIVE Ammunition

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
RRPG

Re: Finding LIVE Ammunition

Post by RRPG » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Golden - Best advice I can give you is go find somewhere else to detect ! Drop me a PM about specifics and I'll help as much as I can.

RRPG

Men can only ever do one thing at a time so, whatever it is you want me for, SOD OFF ! I am doing THIS !

Lots of videos of WW2 relics being recovered on my channel! Go view it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

steve123

Post by steve123 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Golden.

Think your scare as a youngster may have made you slightly paranoid about explosives etc :D . As RRPG says, you can never be too careful when it comes to unidentified objects but as I mentioned in another post, i live a couple of miles from you and have done a lot of research in the area, especially on WW2 air bases. You are detecting near to Wethersfield air base that was built in 1942/3 and was used by the americans until the early 1990's. Although there may be the odd bit of ordanance around i can see no reason why land mines would have been planted in the area. I have a good knowledge of firearms and would be quite happy to meet up and view some of your finds (or at least put your mind at rest)

Regards.

Steve, (Great Sampford)

ww2

Post by ww2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Explosives:

Last Monday at the beach (Den Haag, Netherlands) was hunting for usual coins and jewellery.
After an hour walked near a beachclub about 50 meters away, a big hit.
Carefully i dig about 40 cm depth, what is that, seems like a metal stake.
I dig it out larger with my hands, o.m.g. a shell of explosives, complete intact.
Dectonator head all complete, closed the hole temporary, walked to the policestation on the beach.
Agent walked with me to the explosive, when he saw it, i never have seen a man look so pale :))
Oke oke we need the bombsquad over here, located 88km from this place.
Waited about 2 hours, and when they arrived, the took it out of the hole (course its harmfull to the beachclub) walked about 300 meter to the sea, diged a new hole, and placed the shell into it.
Placed some C4 to the shell, the put it in the sand about 1 meter deep.
After a hand signal the soldier pushed the button and the explosive was dectonated.
I was asking the soldier, what kind of explosive it was.
It was a 3.7cm flak german shell, used to shootdown airplanes.
remarkable the shell was made of steel instead of brass, course in 1944 the germans run out of copper.
So this was my first explosive that was big enoug to blow up a hummer
From a german website:
3.7cm shell range 4200 meters, penetrate inpact on 100 meters, a sloped armor 60 degr. of 37mm
Placed the news on my dutch md website, i know it is not allowed here so i only put in my comments, without the pictures.

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:41 am

Hi WW2,

sounds like you had an interesting day. ::g

ww2

Post by ww2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 pm

It was indeed, today the same policemen said:
Do not come with another one please.
It depends on how carefull the beach workers do there job

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 pm

ww2 wrote:Explosives:

remarkable the shell was made of steel instead of brass, course in 1944 the germans run out of copper.
So this was my first explosive that was big enoug to blow up a hummer
From a german website:
3.7cm shell range 4200 meters, penetrate inpact on 100 meters, a sloped armor 60 degr. of 37mm
Placed the news on my dutch md website, i know it is not allowed here so i only put in my comments, without the pictures.
I think you can post your pictures WW2, its just when the item is already on somebody's kitchen table that there is a problem :D :D :D ::g :D

RichieH

Post by RichieH » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:05 am

hi guys,

enjoyed reading this post and thought you might enjoy the following front page news article from 1988 when i found an unexploded bomb (:|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Detecting since 1987 at the tender age of 11...
CTX 3030 and MineLab Pro-Find 25.
Travel the country for good detecting spots & always happy to meet new people :-)

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:30 am

ww2 wrote:It was indeed, today the same policemen said:
Do not come with another one please.
It depends on how carefull the beach workers do there job
:)) Too much paperwork for the Police me thinks.

Welcome to the forum ww2! Safe hunting [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

matty74

Post by matty74 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:58 pm

today i was out detecting when i got a signal i dug down to find it was a world war two 20mm anti aircraft round live i have reported it to the local police ..

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 am

matty74 wrote:today i was out detecting when i got a signal i dug down to find it was a world war two 20mm anti aircraft round live i have reported it to the local police ..
Well done you! Unusual to find a live one like that. [:)

My Finds Gallery

roddas

Post by roddas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 am

Very interesting thread and goes to remind us all of the possible dangers out there lurking at the next signal. s;.. Goes to prove this is a great forum with some very clued up guys out there keeping us all on our toes ::g

roddas
Will today be THE day ?
Tesoro Cibola
Garrett Pro-Pointer

SniperR27

Post by SniperR27 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi,
I am reposting this from an earlier thread as it is relevant here [:) .

Having spent 14 years as a Sergeant on SO19 the Met Police Firearms Unit, I have seen and come across many items covered under the Firearms Legislation. And it is amazing WHAT people have kept in their homes!
It is indeed illegal to possess ammunition such as this and it is covered under various Sections of the F.A. 1968.
However, Don't panic. As you will not be sent straight to jail without passing GO.
As far as I recall the offence is triable either way Summarily or on Indictment and does not carry a MANDATORY 5 year imprisonment penalty, that is the maximum penalty on indictment (unless it is Aggravated Possession which carries a maximum term of 7 years). Summarily this offence can be dealt with by way of anything ranging from an Absolute Discharge to 6 months Imprisonment.
You will not be in trouble for handing it in, and, you are much safer with a photo!
Any Firearms or Ammunition removed from the public arena is a positive step!
Deus 3.2 & Chef CP6 Headphones for Deus.
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk11 & Chef CP2 Light Blue Headphones.
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Molle Tactical Vest,
Black Ada S/S Dagger & Bigfoot,

A bucket full of persistence

SniperR27

Post by SniperR27 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 pm

In relation to the above, diiffferent laws apply in Scotland> [:)
Deus 3.2 & Chef CP6 Headphones for Deus.
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk11 & Chef CP2 Light Blue Headphones.
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Molle Tactical Vest,
Black Ada S/S Dagger & Bigfoot,

A bucket full of persistence

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks for clarifying the law and possible penalties Sniper :)
Men can only ever do one thing at a time so, whatever it is you want me for, SOD OFF ! I am doing THIS !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheeseaddict

Post by cheeseaddict » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:47 pm

RRPG wrote:Here's the link...

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/8 ... -law-stand.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Tony E is the guy. Can't remember his full name but he knows what he's talking about.
Tony Edwards-member of the Durand Group who explore WW1 tunnels and expert on small arms ammo

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:53 pm

nonmotion wrote:I find allot of .303 heads, i guess these are ok? i dont keep the casings as they are like ring pulls where i live and usualy well rotted.
You don't find heads you find BULLETS.!.and keep them!
The head of a cartridge,is at the bottom of the cartridge case,it holds the primer,and is were the cartridge case is HEAD STAMPED,with makers name,caliber.etc.
Hope this clears up a few points.
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

Peter Pearce

Post by Peter Pearce » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 am

I am organising a search on an old American war time site. I had in mind to contact the Military have an expert on site do you think this to be a good plan or alternatively I have an ex Regimental Sergeant Major ,Infantry, who is an expert on ammunition. I could have him on standby for advice and let him take the appropriate action. What do you think my best plan of action ,any reply would be welcome. Pete.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Peter, drop Steve (RRPG) a Pm, he knows all about these type of sites

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/me ... ile&u=5385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave s;..

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 pm

I've seen it thanks Dave :)

First question I have to ask is, if you have no or little knowledge of military ordnance, why are you searching a site that will undoubtedly have some??? The Americans were very loose with their ordnance and you will find live stuff. If it is an old camp, it will just be live cartridges. These can be safely removed from the ground, gathered up and handed in to the police. If the area contains a range, I would strongly urge you to find another site. Old American ranges are full of unexploded mortars, grenades, rockets, rifle grenades and artillery shells.............all of which will remove you from this earth if you disturb them. Some will no longer look like they did when new, but all are still live. Without knowledge of ordnance you are at much greater risk of being injured. The best advice I can give is, if you are not 100% (and I mean 100%, not 99.9%), sure that what your digging is safe, leave it alone and call the authorities. If it looks like a grenade, feels like a grenade and smells like a grenade, guess what? It's a grenade !!!!!

There are also parts of ordnance that will happily remove a couple of fingers for you if disturbed. No expert, not even me, will be able to ID these bits without seeing them. Having someone on the end of a phone will be little help.

Long and short is, you will find live stuff......cartridges just hand in, everything else, leave it alone !!!!

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Peter Pearce wrote:I am organising a search on an old American war time site. I had in mind to contact the Military have an expert on site do you think this to be a good plan or alternatively I have an ex Regimental Sergeant Major ,Infantry, who is an expert on ammunition. I could have him on standby for advice and let him take the appropriate action. What do you think my best plan of action ,any reply would be welcome. Pete.
As you suggest yourself about contacting the military are we to assume that your potential search site is MOD property? If it is or even was and appears no longer in use you will get a flat negative from them.

Apart from that, if the site was used as a camp then you may find the odd item of ordnance as RRPG says. If you need help in ID's then send me a pm and I will be glad to help if I can.

But first, sort your permission!
W [:)

My Finds Gallery

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Quite right Wan :) You may have a permission of sorts as, if it is an official camp, there will be a bye-law covering what you can and can't do on the site. The bye-law may be lapsed or even revoked, but may also still be active meaning it is an offence to take any material from the site.

Thinking about it, I could ask the RRPG member that lives in Oxfordshire to accompany you. This will get you advice on the spot regarding military items :)

itsmebob

Post by itsmebob » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:37 pm

darthdamo74.
If you find a soldiers museum ,they sell decommisioned or used bullets there.I myself have purched a load of pistol bulleds and machine gun ones.
good hunting .

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi all, Was out today in a large wood that has a quarry in the middle. I came across, in the north side of the quarry 3 mini balls mid 1800s. As I made my way through the wood and down to the river bank I got a cracking signal, out came 4 x 303 WWII rounds all live I phoned the land owner then the police who sent a unit to collect them. I got a big thank you from the two officers and explained how I came across them. In all a strange day. I did manage to take a quick pic before they arrived
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 pm

roamingrob wrote:Hi all, Was out today in a large wood that has a quarry in the middle. I came across, in the north side of the quarry 3 mini balls mid 1800s. As I made my way through the wood and down to the river bank I got a cracking signal, out came 4 x 303 WWII rounds all live I phoned the land owner then the police who sent a unit to collect them. I got a big thank you from the two officers and explained how I came across them. In all a strange day. I did manage to take a quick pic before they arrived
Interesting finds roamingrob, strange to find 4 in a hole though, maybe they were in a charger clip when dropped and 1 fll out, was there any traces of iron on the lower part of the cartridges ? :D :D :D ::g

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:41 pm

No mate the rest of the area was clean. I know the home guard use the area for practice. But will recheck the area later this week.
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 pm

The police probably enjoyed the stroll trough the woods, beats chasing scallies!!!!1
I'll know what to do next time i find ammo, not that i will go looking for it!!!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:11 pm

roamingrob wrote:Hi all, Was out today in a large wood that has a quarry in the middle. I came across, in the north side of the quarry 3 mini balls mid 1800s. As I made my way through the wood and down to the river bank I got a cracking signal, out came 4 x 303 WWII rounds all live I phoned the land owner then the police who sent a unit to collect them. I got a big thank you from the two officers and explained how I came across them. In all a strange day. I did manage to take a quick pic before they arrived
Looked in fairly good condition. Home guard training area makes sense, may find grenade fragments too? :-w

My Finds Gallery

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:24 pm

thanks guys, I hope they remain fragments, and not a live grenade x; x; Rob
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade

rugerrog

Post by rugerrog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 pm

They look fine to me ::g if they were a bit cleaner I would put em through my .303 Lee Enfield :))
CTX3030
Minelab Pro Finder
Loads of enthusiasm

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Take great care; you ,may even come across live grenades. x;

Return to “Military - Ordnance”