AA shrapnel

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
Koala

AA shrapnel

Post by Koala » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:42 am

how far away would it typically land

keep finding bits 3 miles from any likely target.

wondered if it would be form an outlying battery

fred

Re: AA shrapnel

Post by fred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:59 am

I presume that you are talking about bits of brass nose cone and copper drive bands (commonly called shrapnel but isn't really :D ) . Unless you are detecting on an old range it's likely to have been fired upwards during WW2. Antiaircraft (AA) strategy varied as the war progressed so AA batteries can be found almost anywhere. Some potential targets were directly defended whilst others were defended along the route that bombers took to reach them. Add in the AA shell's trajectory and the corialis effect (basically the earth spinning) and it becomes clear that the debris from a shell fired high into the air could land many miles away from any obvious target. In terms of a smallish island the upshot is that 'shrapnel' can be found almost anywhere. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:32 am

Hi K,
This might help, I know exactly where our gun sites were as I played on them when they were abandoned as a child, later on finding many fragments when I started detecting as far away as half a mile.....HH....Johnnn
All cleand up 2010.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JBM

Post by JBM » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 am

It can be found in abundance in the docks and factory areas of Bristol.

WHRADA collect it for scrap for the Children's Hospice South West.

As a youngster we used to shelter from shrapnel as it fell.

This was the order of the day.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes I have been finding both drive bands and parts of nose. Find a few bits every time I go detecting.

As far as I know only 3 bombs landed in the village during the war.

There was a barrage balloon anchored a few hundred yards away.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:31 pm

I fully blame the Germans for this rubbish scattered over the fields of south Essex....absolutely littered with the crap! B| ;;z
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:51 pm

My village is many miles from any strategic target, and roughly 35 miles south of Birmingham and Coventry (I know from the older inhabitants of the village that the red sky could be seen of the fires in Coventry when it was blitzed on 14-15 November 1940).
But a search light unit was based here, which would have been for local AA units. One bomber was actually caught in the lights and in an attempt to avoid them dropped a string of bombs from just outside the village to near the next village.

So as said above some AA units were placed near the potential targets while others where a long distance away on the routes the bombers would have taken.

Evan

Return to “Military - Ordnance”