Cordite

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
cantona1

Cordite

Post by cantona1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Just something for anyone interested in ordnance, I found this un fired 30-06 round today along with a couple of buckle fragments,
DSC_0279.jpg
The spaghetti like strands are cordite, sometimes used instead of gunpowder, as it is not explosive but regarded as a slow-burning propellant I carried out a little experiment, and after 70 odd years in a wet Devon field it still works, Amazing :)

I think cordite caused less damage to the barrel of the weapon???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ten pence!

Re: Cordite

Post by Ten pence! » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm

That is a .303 round, it has a rimmed case, it's also not a good idea to ignite old propellant, whilst it may burn slow any confinement and that slow burn becomes very, very fast and those cords can move quick enough to bury themselves in fingertips, or worse..............

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Ten pence, you're right I've looked again and it is 303, it's safe enough though if you hold the cordite with a pair of pliers over a stainless steel tray :D
Very impressive to see it ignite though ::g
Just amazed that it still works.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Better safe than sorry so please do not attempt to replicate this 'experiment'! ss47
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Perfectly safe when done in a controlled manner ::g

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm

cantona1 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 pm
Perfectly safe when done in a controlled manner ::g
Excess charge bags from 105mm :D lots of fun ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Ooh, that would definitely be fun, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 pm

cantona1 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm
Ooh, that would definitely be fun, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"
"Smells of victory, son, some day this wars gonna end" :D :D -=+:-P

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm

As said, not always best to replicate the experiment. Certainly not without regard of ones surroundings!

I like putting the cordite strands end to end, and light one end. Gives a marvellous 'Gun powder trail' effect, like in the cartoons! (All done in a serious and controlled manner, of course!). =))

This is a photograph I took recently, to show how vigorous Cordite burns. These strands were from a .303 cartridge in a similar condition to yours, dated 1941. This is an entire cartridge load going up, after 75+ years in the elements.
It went up PERFECTLY, with the flame column about 9 inches high. Just goes to show that this stuff is never ever 'deactivated by time'!

s;.. s;.. s;.. ::g

Regards,

Simon
Last edited by MilitaryMetalMagnut on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military Firearms and Ammunition Historian, and published author to that effect! 12 years experience of collecting, researching and hands on shooting of WW2 weaponry!

https://wartimedalditchcamp.wordpress.com/about/

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 pm

cantona1 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:41 pm
I think cordite caused less damage to the barrel of the weapon???
It was a much cleaner burn than the Nitrocellulose (gunpowder) of the time. I personally was able to fire some original cordite loaded 1945 dated .303, and some Nitrocellulose loaded 1941 dated rounds and compared the amount of fouling in the barrel between the two. There was much less muck in the barrel with the Cordite than with the Nitrocellulose. Just that the primers were corrosive, and the barrel needed to be cleaned ASAP otherwise the bore will rust. ::g

Best regards,

Simon
Military Firearms and Ammunition Historian, and published author to that effect! 12 years experience of collecting, researching and hands on shooting of WW2 weaponry!

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Brilliant idea MMM, I'm gonna try that, "in a safe and controlled manor" B-)

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 am

Gee, and there was me tipping out the cordite thinking that it's all done after this time. So need to find another now for some special effects. :D s;..
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:56 pm

🤔-🤬-🤕-☠-👩‍⚕️-sounds good cantona-see you down thr R.D&E - lol !!

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 pm

MilitaryMetalMagnut wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm
As said, not always best to replicate the experiment. Certainly not without regard of ones surroundings!

I like putting the cordite strands end to end, and light one end. Gives a marvellous 'Gun powder trail' effect, like in the cartoons! (All done in a serious and controlled manner, of course!). =))

This is a photograph I took recently, to show how vigorous Cordite burns. These strands were from a .303 cartridge in a similar condition to yours, dated 1941. This is an entire cartridge load going up, after 75+ years in the elements.
It went up PERFECTLY, with the flame column about 9 inches high. Just goes to show that this stuff is never ever 'deactivated by time'!

Oh well there goes another coffee table.. h;@
s;.. s;.. s;.. ::g

Regards,

Simon

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Come on Bootneck B-) I'm pretty sure that 45 did a lot worse than that in your time, obviously "in a safe and controlled manner"

I saw the RM chucking around a bunch of stuff in Gibraltar in the early seventies and having some fun in Malta a year or two later :D

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Malta 73 to 75 (undisclosed fun !!) 🤐

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm

The Gut was on its last legs then I guess, Ahh, happy days B-)

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

I've not read the replies to this post as the first one concerned me so much.

You feel like it is a bit of fun to ignite some 70+ year old cordite? Fine. You want to play with 70+ year old cartridge propellent?......fine. That is entirely up to you. But when members of this forum contribute with their own experiences of setting light to 70+ year old cordite, I really do begin to worry. Do you all really not care about old ordnance that much that you think it is funny/appropriate to show your own experiences?

If you feel like setting lite to 70+ year old cordite, that is up to you. But If you want praise and admiration for what you're doing, look somewhere else. In reality you are being a total idiot, thinking that 70+ year old ordnance is 'safe' and not at all dangerous. Ordnance was, and always will be, designed to kill people. You want to make believe it wasn't? Go find another forum. Simple as.
www.stephentaylorhistorian.com

Lots of videos of WW2 relics being recovered on my channel! Go view it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg"

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:20 pm

RRPG wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm
I've not read the replies to this post as the first one concerned me so much.

You feel like it is a bit of fun to ignite some 70+ year old cordite? Fine. You want to play with 70+ year old cartridge propellent?......fine. That is entirely up to you. But when members of this forum contribute with their own experiences of setting light to 70+ year old cordite, I really do begin to worry. Do you all really not care about old ordnance that much that you think it is funny/appropriate to show your own experiences?

If you feel like setting lite to 70+ year old cordite, that is up to you. But If you want praise and admiration for what you're doing, look somewhere else. In reality you are being a total idiot, thinking that 70+ year old ordnance is 'safe' and not at all dangerous. Ordnance was, and always will be, designed to kill people. You want to make believe it wasn't? Go find another forum. Simple as.

This was the whole point to my previous post. I posted a picture I took of some Cordite I safely lit, to show that this stuff is very much viable. When those who don’t know this subject, or even those who disrespect ordnance/ammunition can VISUALLY see that Cordite is still viable, I thought my post was helpful for that.

Just my tuppence worth.

Best regards,

Simon
Last edited by MilitaryMetalMagnut on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:09 pm

I presume that I am "the idiot" that you refer to RRPG?

Firstly I still maintain that me igniting one single strand of cordite in a safe and controlled manner was a perfectly safe experiment for ME to make.

Secondly I had not realised that this was your forum, until it is please keep your suggestions on membership to yourself.

Thirdly, whilst I value your contributions and knowledge on the subject matter there is still no excuse for your rudeness.

Finally I was neither seeking or indeed wishing for praise, merely making an observation on something that I had done in a perfectly safe manner for my purposes at the time. You do yourself and your undoubted knowledge a disservice by your arrogance and rudeness.

Cantona1

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm

You want to play with fire, that is entirely up to you. When you make it public on a forum like this, you have to be prepared for people to disagree with what you are doing.

As for suggesting that this is 'your forum', what an utterly ridiculous thing to say. There are many young people that frequent this forum, and showing yourself setting light to 70+ year old cordite is foolish to say the least. I have no regrets about what I said, nor will I change my opinion. Piddle about with old ordnance, you will eventually be admitted to the Darwin Award Hall of Fame.
www.stephentaylorhistorian.com

Lots of videos of WW2 relics being recovered on my channel! Go view it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg"

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:40 pm

One strand of Cordite is hardly an atom bomb.
What we have shown on this public forum is done safely with common sense, and with very small quantities of Cordite. One strand of Cordite produces a flame no bigger than a small candle and a .303 load I posted, is far less hazardous than even the smallest of fireworks.
I respect your opinion, but I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal.

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:49 pm

I find lots of .50 cal broken by the plough which when the mud is removed still has a lot of propellent left in it. I tip it out into a container and the .303 I find with the cordite present gets added to that container. The joys of a first world war British and second world war American airfield.

When I get a small amount I take it to the bottom of the garden on concrete slabs and set light to it to dispose of it. In the open air it poses little risk in a controlled manner. I have total respect for it and would rather dispose of it that way than keep it contained in the cases which would eventually get thrown into the scrap skip at the recycling centre.

At least Cantona now knows what he has and how it reacts. He seems a sensible chap and I am sure he wouldn't do anything stupid. As for anyone copying, people do far more stupid stuff on YouTube.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 7 Hammered

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”