Some landmine education please.

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
Christoph1945

Re: Some landmine education please.

Post by Christoph1945 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks RRPG,

prior to our exchanges here, I had already adopted a more cautious aproach to my digging at Talacre. I avoid the second Narcon Pillbox area because it is littered with spent 50 cal and 303 projectiles. A local told me of an area at Prestatyn where, as youngsters, they used to fish live ammunition from a stream. "I aint goin fishing there!"

When a friend told me that he had a handgrenade in his garage that he found as a child; I nearly pooped me self and insisted that he showed me the said object. It turned out to be quite safe.....no ring and pin, no clip, no filler plug, and no detonator! Inside was emty also.

As an aside question............have you ever investigated the American dumps at, and around, the old USAF base at Burtonwood?

Chris

stargazer1

Post by stargazer1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Christoph1945 wrote:
As an aside question............have you ever investigated the American dumps at, and around, the old USAF base at Burtonwood?

Chris

That's Choppers stomping ground ! ;)
I use a CS3MX and my mighty Minelab Etrac !

Formerly known as Stargazer.

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks Stargazer,

lest any one misunderstood my intentions in asking about Burtonwood; I was just being sociable and wondered what anyone had turned up there. As a kid, in the fifties, many of my friends would visit the Yankee dump and return home with goods that the Americans had thrown away.

To us, we couldn't understand why they had thrown the darn stuff away. But now I am letting the thread digress. Sorry for that.

Chris :)

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah......that's chopper's stomping ground. I am much further south. Only one problem I have with burtonwood is that it was active post WW2 so its actually one I would avoid. There are plenty around my neck of the woods to keep me busy :) I've had allsorts out of one dump..... Throat mics , dogtags, mg barrel tubes, ration tins, aircraft dials.......LOADS of cool WW2 stuff :)

Best find was a watch I returned to the American officers family :)
Men can only ever do one thing at a time so, whatever it is you want me for, SOD OFF ! I am doing THIS !

Lots of videos of WW2 relics being recovered on my channel! Go view it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Aaah Dogtags, Any ID's on those?

Chris

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Sorry....missed a word out :)

GERMAN dogtags :) So no, no luck tracking down the original owners.
Men can only ever do one thing at a time so, whatever it is you want me for, SOD OFF ! I am doing THIS !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi RRPG,

Mmmm plot thickens. Maybe one could track down the individual or his family. Any chance of posting a photograph of the said dog tags. I have never seen a set of German tags. Compared to American dogtags; my father-inlaws RAF dogtags were rather flimsy.

Chris :)

nonmotion

Post by nonmotion » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:46 pm

RRPG i thought you only collected shells and projectiles? I can lay my hands on a spitfire exhuast manifold if you want one. Postage would be a bit steep though =)) =))

Maybe just get aphoto of it when im past that way. kids have it under a dirt ramp. :D No respect for their history. =))
One pound coins for 2012 so far = 180! 2013 =6

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 pm

nonmotion wrote:..... kids have it under a dirt ramp. :D No respect for their history. =))
THEY WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recover and preserve anything to do with WW2. I'll bloody drive there and get it from under their ramp !!! Just tell me where it is.

RRPG

nonmotion

Post by nonmotion » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 pm

will be by there at the weekend if its still there i will pull it out and get you a pic. See if its got any markings on it. :D

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Great !!

It should have Air Ministry stamps on it somewhere, along with part numbers and, if we're really lucky, even a serial number :)

I'll come and build them a new ramp and have the manifold !

Oh and Chris, there is a thread on this forum entitled 'German finds' in which are pictures of the dogtags :)

etruscan

Post by etruscan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 pm

I remember as a kid, many many years ago, holidaying at Prestatyn (next place along from Talacre). The beach was cordoned off and there were a lot of soldiers digging in the dunes for mines. I know that was what they were after being a cheeky little brat, I went through the cordon and asked them.
Some years ago on Ynyslas beach across from the estuary from Aberdovey, my mate called me over to show me a live shell he'd just dug. I made great steps in the opposite direction. We phoned the coastguard, they told us they get one a week whenever there's a stormy period.

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Etruscan,

Oops, a live shell. Were you both metal detecting at the time, and how deep was it in the sand?

When I saw the name " Etruscan ", I thought of the poor man's antipersonell weapon the "Caltrop ". The Caltrop is still used today. Cheap to produse, low maintenance , and easy to install. I remember some miners trying to use home-made Caltrops to noble police horses during the big strike. Nasty little blighters. Caltrops, not miners!

Note that the points are barbed and could even be covered in toxins.

Chris :-O

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks RRPG, will have a look at the German dogtags.

nonmotion

Post by nonmotion » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm

went by the kids ramp on the way home and ist still under there. :D tried to pull it out but it wont budge. will take a spade at the weekend. if i remember (i saw it before it got buried) it has the steel block that the pipes go on and one remaining pipe attached.

the pipe is shaped round at the engine end and flattens out at the other. thick wall section too. dont know what its made of but it hasnt rusted.
:D

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Where the heck did they get it from ? Is there an old airbase nearby?

nonmotion

Post by nonmotion » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm

yes it near an air base. about 30 years ago parts of it were cleared for factories and all the stuff from an air raid by stukas was bulldozed in as land fill. we had a great time picking through it and every day the dozers dragged up more.

one of the kids i knew back then pulled out a full propeller with a yellow nose cone and black spiral on it.

Found this on youtube of a RR merlin engine. look at the pipes when he zooms in. im pretty sure its one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprfH5ZsAHk

:D

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Getting back on track a little. How many different types of landmine do you suppose the British used on their own beaches in 1939/40 whilst preparing for invasion?

Chris

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Standard tactics were to use a mix of anti personnel and anti tank mines, with some bakelite or glass ones mixed in. I'd think between 4 & 6types.

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Just been on Flickr and come across a photograph of a WW2 British Type C Anti-Tank mine recovered from Cley Beach. Photo was posted by Grinandtonic and he gives some relevant information concerning the said mine.

Chris

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:05 pm

RRPG wrote:Here ya go. Just in case you have a million to one find. Here are some of the common British and American WW2 era mines. Most look like mines, some like grenades, some like a little Bakelite tube........

That last one is a doozie.......looks nothing like a mine but is quite capable of removing your foot and/or testicles. :) :) :)

RRPG

PS This is NOT a definitive list of British and American WW2 mines, just a sample.....

You are right Steve, that last one would have fooled me; as would the No 75 Hawkins a/p mine above it. Who would have thought that a one pint oil can was a land mine?

Chris

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi RRPG,

looks like someone has nicked one of our landmines.

Chris

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Ooops, it has just returnd. :-O

wallydog1

Post by wallydog1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

i found this great British Pathe Newsreel of Post ww2 landmines being found and detaonated in Folkstone! and well if ever you didnt realise just what you may did up on Kent beaches heres an eyeopener!

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/minef ... query/kent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wallydog1

Post by wallydog1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:35 pm

ok here's another of a town in kent with various ordenance to see also mines being de fused then detonated by bomb disposal looks like early 70's

wallydog1

Post by wallydog1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:36 pm

sorry forgot link!! here it is:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/bomb- ... query/kent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Have a look at the English edition of Der Spiegel on the internet; they are running an article on UXB's in Germany. It's totally gob smacking. :-O

Chris ::g

amphora

Post by amphora » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 pm

The anti-tank mines are not the problem. They are not made to go off on light weight like a person. They need i believe something like three hundred kilograms or so.
The anti personel mines are the !@#$%.
Christoph1945 wrote:I have been assured that our military masters cleared the area of mines after the war and the area is totally safe.
:D :D :D :D :D
Same here. But still ugly stuff is found regularly. s;..
RRPG wrote:Nope. Bouncing betty mines were German 'S' mines, designed to jump 2ft in the air and then explode, sending steel balls flying out at crotch height. The Americans coined the term 'bouncing betty'.
Here some bouncing betty steel balls.
Can you imagine about 250 thrown around on stumach hight?
Also found on a "cleared area" open for public. 8-} Everywhere on every hunt we find traces of WWII.

Image Image Image
Good luck hunting.

jamie18thmo

Post by jamie18thmo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:33 am

I found these in an abandoned vehicle on a training area (don't worry, I'm allowed to be there!). They look like anti-tank mines to me, but I'm no expert. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Metal detecting is like a box of chocolates.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Only just spotted your post but sadly can't help. I bet Steve will know what they may be. ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Return to “Military - Ordnance”