Danger UXB ! 'Bomb Finders' Please Read

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules
panzer

Re: Danger UXB ! 'Bomb Finders' Please Read

Post by panzer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:13 am

Cheers Dave, I did spot your picture but somewhat after the fact. I reported it as the farm where I found it is a training centre for people with learning difficulties to learn farming skills and the thought of something happening and all that. Some of the replies were quite alarming, although with hindsight,innacurate! ::g

Every days a learning day

Dave8472

Re: Danger UXB ! 'Bomb Finders' Please Read

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 am

panzer wrote:.... Every days a learning day
It is, always something new turning up, it is always best to air on the side of caution with anything unknown, the main thing to do in any situation is not to take anything home that you don't know exactly what it is. Just take a photo like you did, leave it on site in a safe and secure place, preferably back in the ground then once you have more idea what it is the EOD can be called in to deal with it, or if OK then safe to remove it.

The most common mistake people make is to transport it to either there home or take it to the Police. If live a criminal offence has been committed either way and the Police won't thank you for taking it to them lol !

With reference to nose cones, most are just mechanical clocks, the small charge (gaine) is normally fixed to the bottom of these, I have never found one live so they are generally safe, the ones to watch out for are Mortars and Hand Grenades, there was a high failure rate on Mortars and these need to be reported straight away

Dave &*(
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
XP Deus : 11", 9" Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”