50cal with black paint

All Military and ordnance topics here.
Forum rules
Ordnance Forum Rules and Guidance :
By entering this forum you agree to accept the additional rules and guidance listed on the link below:
Ordnance Forum Rules

Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....
H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
alloverover

50cal with black paint

Post by alloverover » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Just thought i would post this up as its got a lot more paint still on the tip than the ones i normally find, its black so i think AP ? Thats a part of the case around the base, plough damage.
This has also reminded me that i have (somewhere) got a few green tips, is my memory correct that these are AP also, but with an amount of tracer ?
Thanks for you time chaps, AOO :D :D :D ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RRPG

Re: 50cal with black paint

Post by RRPG » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Yep. Armour piercing and, I'm afraid to say, illegal to possess.

As for green tips, there was no 50cal with a green tip. Are you sure they aren't 303s or 30cals ?
www.stephentaylorhistorian.com

Lots of videos of WW2 relics being recovered on my channel! Go view it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZxrI- ... SoD8F8kebg"

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Yes, absolutely sure, havent seen them for a few years but yep, will try and (re) find them, ive 3 or 4 i think :-/ :D :D ::g

egon999

Post by egon999 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 pm

RRPG wrote:Yep. Armour piercing and, I'm afraid to say, illegal to possess.

What is it about APs that makes them dangerous to have? Do they have an explosive tip like cannon shells?
:-/
Veni Vidi Detecti!

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:19 pm

AP's have a steel core, so as a double-check, you can see if a magnet is attracted to it. Also, the rear end of the bullet will usually have rust showing. Yours is definitely AP.
Egon: They aren't dangerous per-se, but technically, you could reload them into regular ball-round cartridges (which you could own legally - you know, for wild hippo hunting, etc) and have an illegal munition.
Last edited by Fusion on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:(

del1969trotter

Post by del1969trotter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:21 pm

looks like a dogs pecker,not that i'm into them....lol....sorry s;..

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 pm

del1969trotter wrote:looks like a dogs pecker,not that i'm into them....lol....sorry s;..
Bloody hell, that would be a real status symbol on the estate, a dog with an APC, Armour Piercing Cock X( X( X( ::g

hobster

Post by hobster » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Regarding .50 cals with green tips. I personally have never seen any but have a look at this link http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

del1969trotter

Post by del1969trotter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 pm

alloverover wrote:
del1969trotter wrote:looks like a dogs pecker,not that i'm into them....lol....sorry s;..
Bloody hell, that would be a real status symbol on the estate, a dog with an APC, Armour Piercing Cock X( X( X( ::g
lllloooollllll.like that =))

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 am

You learn something new every day :)

The headstamp shown in the link was only used on ammo the Americans made for the British, hence the use of the green tip which was standard for 303s. I presume they wanted to keep the same nomenclature to avoid confusion.

Intersting :)

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Fusion wrote:AP's have a steel core, so as a double-check, you can see if a magnet is attracted to it. Also, the rear end of the bullet will usually have rust showing. Yours is definitely AP.
Egon: They aren't dangerous per-se, but technically, you could reload them into regular ball-round cartridges (which you could own legally - you know, for wild hippo hunting, etc) and have an illegal munition.
Sad,if you think someone who own a Barrets Anti Material Rifle,
is going to put that found crap thro his rifle your sadly mistaken.and if you can spending £6.000 to 13.000,on shooting a "hippo",£50 for a round or two of .600 Nitro Express,aint a problem. (:| (:| :)) :))
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

Verulamium

Post by Verulamium » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:11 pm

The blue tips can look a little green at times depending on the type of ground etc. I find loads of these at my farm in St Albans either complete of in parts, none of them fired. Our club dig in Essex last weekend turned up a bucket of them found all over the site.

My land up near Norwich also turns up loads (home of St Faiths USAAF WWII base). I'd heard that US bombers damaged during raids over europe would bung all their ammo out of the aircraft before landing in case of fire so that's why fields around that area have so many. Some of the cartridges still have the rusted steel clips attached......
Looking for stuff.....mainly in fields.......

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Quote: "sad....... your [sic] sadly mistaken"

I'm not saying it's good, bad, wise or foolish to do it. I'm just interpreting what section 5 (1A) (g) and (e) of the firearms legislation is stating.
Here's a link, see what you make of it:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27

Also, this forum thread covers the topic, with some interesting comment...
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 61&t=20638
:(

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 pm

All fusion was saying was that it is illegal to possess an AP bullet, which is absolutely correct. It doesn't matter what you intend to do with the bullet, or how feasible it maybe to reload it, but that it is illegal to possess in any form.

:)

dylan1273

Post by dylan1273 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Are the red tracer tips illegal to have?

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:00 pm

No. Perfectly legal to possess tracers.

dylan1273

Post by dylan1273 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:25 pm

RRPG wrote:No. Perfectly legal to possess tracers.
Thanks for that ::g

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:13 am

I have been speaking to the owner of my new permission and he showed me some of the rounds he found when he was a boy. He had a box full of 50 calibre and said he used to find 20mm as well. He used to polish them up and sell them on the local market many years ago! He had deactivated them by pulling the heads off and emptying out the cordite. Except the time it went wrong and he nearly lost his eye :-SS

He said that he used to remove the copper jacket of the AP rounds and use them as dot punches as they were so hard :))

He found loads just laying around as Verulamium said, when they got back from raids if the links broke or they had them left they would just throw them around the airfield.

I hope to get on my permission this weekend.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

Tombs

Post by Tombs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:26 am

its funny that armor piercing rounds are illegal.....i would have thought a 50cal would cut through most stuff, armor piercing or not! i know my .556 blows a hole clean through 1/4 inch plate steal and thats with expanding ammunition! x;
E Trac
deus for rainy days
Garrett pin pointer

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:44 pm

If you do find live rounds f8met, please do not attempt to pull the bullet and empty out the cordite. Not only is it rather silly to attempt it, it is also illegal. You have to be a registered firearms dealer to de-act live rounds.

Gary Huston

Post by Gary Huston » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 pm

RRPG wrote:If you do find live rounds f8met, please do not attempt to pull the bullet and empty out the cordite. Not only is it rather silly to attempt it, it is also illegal. You have to be a registered firearms dealer to de-act live rounds.

That's if you're silly enough to tell anyone you're doing it of course!

Wish I'd never seen this thread! I have a .50 cal that I brazed a ring to and have been using as a key ring for the last 10 plus years!
It had no colour tip as it has been polished but is extremely magnetic which according to some could be amour piercing and from the link in the other thread on the subject could also be an incendiary! s;..

Tombs

Post by Tombs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 am

Gary Huston wrote:
RRPG wrote:If you do find live rounds f8met, please do not attempt to pull the bullet and empty out the cordite. Not only is it rather silly to attempt it, it is also illegal. You have to be a registered firearms dealer to de-act live rounds.

That's if you're silly enough to tell anyone you're doing it of course!

Wish I'd never seen this thread! I have a .50 cal that I brazed a ring to and have been using as a key ring for the last 10 plus years!
It had no colour tip as it has been polished but is extremely magnetic which according to some could be amour piercing and from the link in the other thread on the subject could also be an incendiary! s;..
lol, i wouldn't worry to much seen as you brazed it, if it was going to go bang it would have done...as for being illegal, i think you should hand it in to you nearest police station :D

its not a hundred percent true that you have to be a firearms dealer to take apart live rounds, but you do have to have that round on your FAC.
old ammo is mega dangerous and suprisingly its not just the powder but also the primers, in fact the explosive in the primer as far more powerful than the powder... dont play with them unless you want to be bird food.
E Trac
deus for rainy days
Garrett pin pointer

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 am

Congrats on this thread going over 1000 hits. Can't believe the interest in one AP round can generate... I-)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Wansdyke44 wrote:Congrats on this thread going over 1000 hits. Can't believe the interest in one AP round can generate... I-)
Why thank you very much Wansdyke44,for a moment i thought you were being sarcaaarstic, i cant believe it either, the dogs APC is interesting to people :)) :)) :)) , its not an AP round though mate, its an AP BULLET =)) <:-P =)) <:-P =)) <:-P 1000 views :D Do i get a prize :) :) :) ::g ::g ::g

RRPG

Post by RRPG » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 pm

alloverover wrote:......its not an AP round though mate, its an AP BULLET .....
Aaaaahhhh.........makes me so proud........my teachings are getting through to someone....

::g ::g ::g :D :D :D l;. l;. l;.

:-*

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 pm

RRPG wrote:
alloverover wrote:......its not an AP round though mate, its an AP BULLET .....
Aaaaahhhh.........makes me so proud........my teachings are getting through to someone....

::g ::g ::g :D :D :D l;. l;. l;.

:-*
:)) :)) :)) ::g ive loaded a lot of rounds in and shot a lot of bullets out in my time from .22 to 105mm which is a big bullet indeed, most calibers in between as well at one time or another, as well as the odd missile :))
By the way RRPG, ive not forgotten about the green tips mate, just havent located them yet ( although ive found more stuff than i remembered having ), will pop a photo up when i do though, cheers mate :D :D :D ::g

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:43 am

alloverover wrote:
Wansdyke44 wrote:Congrats on this thread going over 1000 hits. Can't believe the interest in one AP round can generate... I-)
Why thank you very much Wansdyke44,for a moment i thought you were being sarcaaarstic, i cant believe it either, the dogs APC is interesting to people :)) :)) :)) , its not an AP round though mate, its an AP BULLET =)) <:-P =)) <:-P =)) <:-P 1000 views :D Do i get a prize :) :) :) ::g ::g ::g
=)) And so it goes on.... [:)
I'm calling it a round as it clearly hasn't been fired and still has the end of the cartridge attached to it. ;)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Return to “Military - Ordnance Forum”