Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

All topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own category here.
Other Brand Videos
Post Reply
Dom
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Thanet, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Dom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 am

... and it didn't like it one bit. Was trying to detect on the wet sand as that's all I'm interested in, tried everything, got it kinda stable but the depth was hugely reduced and still false signals.
Auto Ground balance was just maxing to 250 and manual just confirmed it.
I'm using the 10 inch coil, not sure if that matters, I'm guessing not.
Still, on land I'm very happy with it and that's what I got it for.
Kinda makes sense as it comes from Bulgaria and they have just a small stretch of coast.

Anyone else tried it on the beach?

Think I might look up to see if there are any old model detectors that are good on the beach that I could pick up on the cheap.


Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

User avatar
mrix
Founder
Posts: 9034
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:59 am
Location: UK South Coast
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 477 times
Contact:

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by mrix » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 am

Sorry to hear the machines is struggling on the wet sand dom, its quite common with a lot of machines, should be fine on the dry but with the wet you may have to reduce the sensitivity down for it to cope.
Hopefully we may have some members here which use this machine on wet sand and can give you some tips / settings ::g
mrix

Dom
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Thanet, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Dom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks Mrix. I wasn't giving out too much hope to begin with, I'm very happy with it on land and I got talking to the grounds maintenance guy who works for the land owner who gave me permission and it turns out he owns more land than i thought! Though he lets it out to the farmer so I would have to speak to him separately

.
So generally I'm a very happy guy.

Was thinking of maybe getting an older model machine like a fisher 1265x for the beach or a whites classic 3 sl.
Not sure as I've only started looking into it.

I know PI detectors are the way to go really, but i was thinking a back up general detector might be good to have as well.
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

User avatar
Machinist
Posts: 2248
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: DANVM
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Machinist » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Dom, unfortunately the problem you are having is common with all VLF machines. One of my machines is a Golden Mask 3 and it is just the same and I would never use it on wet sand. For the land and dry sand they are good machines.

Lots of people say this VLF or that VLF machine is great on the beach but they may be detecting on a beach that is exception and they will not be any good on all beaches so be careful if you are buying another machine you may be buying one that is just as bad. The only detectors that can be said to be good on salt water sand are the multi frequency machines such as the Minelab machines with BBS or FBS technology or other makes that use Pulse Induction (PI). The trouble is the Minelabs that are capable of that are expensive.

I personally only use PI machines on the wet but there is no discrimination so you are digging everything but I have been using them since about 1992 so I am used to that. C.scope do a cheaper PI machine but be warned you will be digging a lot of deep holes.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Dom
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Thanet, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Dom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks Machinist, yup, I'm gathering the same as what you've just said.
I'm a patient person so the dig everything is not too awful a proposition... though how the hell does one dig deep holes in wet sand!? It fills up as soon as you dig the first bit!
At the moment my funds are low anyway, so i'll just keep researching.

I'm guessing you were referring to the c-scope cs4pi?

My real aim was to detect for 'older' things at dead low tide...though that might be fanciable in itself.

It'd be useful to have a beach detector, as the beach is only 5 minutes away and reculver is only a 15 minute drive.
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2017
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 685 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Saffron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:50 am

Dom wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 am
... and it didn't like it one bit. Was trying to detect on the wet sand as that's all I'm interested in, tried everything, got it kinda stable but the depth was hugely reduced and still false signals.
Auto Ground balance was just maxing to 250 and manual just confirmed it.
I'm using the 10 inch coil, not sure if that matters, I'm guessing not.
Still, on land I'm very happy with it and that's what I got it for.
Kinda makes sense as it comes from Bulgaria and they have just a small stretch of coast.

Anyone else tried it on the beach?

Think I might look up to see if there are any old model detectors that are good on the beach that I could pick up on the cheap.

As mrix said a lot of machines do not like the beach and you may have to reduce the sensitivity down for it to cope.

You say "I'm using the 10 inch coil, not sure if that matters", what other coils do you have?. Reason I ask is that I had a Garrett 250, again not a recognised beach machine, and it was OK on the wet sand with only occasional falsing on the wet sand with the standard coil but when I tried it with a larger Nel Tornado coil it falsed a lot more (near constantly!), so if you have a smaller coil you could try that.


Dom wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

<cut>
I got talking to the grounds maintenance guy who works for the land owner who gave me permission
<cut>
Does the "grounds maintenance guy" have the authority to give you permission to detect??.
Somebody like a farm / estate manager might but just a "grounds maintenance guy" I would have doubts about, and there has been more than one instance where a worker has casually said it would be OK and the landowner has not been aware and thrown the detectorist off when he found out.

Evan

Koala
Posts: 4319
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 1143 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Koala » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:22 pm

I found on other machines lowering the threshold helps more than lowering the sensitivity. Ground balance can be a bit of trial and error. Manually move it up or down to an area that give less false signals. Might mess up your discrimination . Best test silver and copper are still detected with some test targets on the surface.


Not all beaches are created equal. You need to find nice even ones. Sometimes just a hundred yards further along makes all the difference. Rock, pebbles on the surface of the sand are normally no go areas


At the end of the day its not ideal often frustrating. But if you don't do much beach detecting it can be make to work at push.

Dom
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Thanet, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Dom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Dom wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

<cut>
I got talking to the grounds maintenance guy who works for the land owner who gave me permission
<cut>
Does the "grounds maintenance guy" have the authority to give you permission to detect??.
Somebody like a farm / estate manager might but just a "grounds maintenance guy" I would have doubts about, and there has been more than one instance where a worker has casually said it would be OK and the landowner has not been aware and thrown the detectorist off when he found out.

Evan
[/quote]

Sorry,I could have worded that better, yes i have permission off the land owner, i use to rent a workshop off him.
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

Dom
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Thanet, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Dom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Koala wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:22 pm
I found on other machines lowering the threshold helps more than lowering the sensitivity. Ground balance can be a bit of trial and error. Manually move it up or down to an area that give less false signals. Might mess up your discrimination . Best test silver and copper are still detected with some test targets on the surface.


Not all beaches are created equal. You need to find nice even ones. Sometimes just a hundred yards further along makes all the difference. Rock, pebbles on the surface of the sand are normally no go areas


At the end of the day its not ideal often frustrating. But if you don't do much beach detecting it can be make to work at push.
Yup, I tried all sorts of things, have to admit though i was targeting area's where heavier pebbles were collecting.
It was 6 in the morning and i wasn't at my best :))
I will experiment a bit more... maybe not so early though.
Thanks Koala :)
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2017
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 685 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Saffron » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Dom wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:27 pm
Dom wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

<cut>
I got talking to the grounds maintenance guy who works for the land owner who gave me permission
<cut>
Does the "grounds maintenance guy" have the authority to give you permission to detect??.
Somebody like a farm / estate manager might but just a "grounds maintenance guy" I would have doubts about, and there has been more than one instance where a worker has casually said it would be OK and the landowner has not been aware and thrown the detectorist off when he found out.

Evan
Sorry,I could have worded that better, yes i have permission off the land owner, i use to rent a workshop off him.
[/quote]

As you gathered I read it that GMG had given you permission rather than the land owner ;;z

Sounds like you are well sorted inland anyway even if having issues on the beach ::g

Evan

User avatar
Twit
Posts: 779
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm
Has thanked: 1316 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Twit » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:53 am

The G2 I use is high frequency also and balances to salt, but in practice depth is limited. It seems to be happier in salt with the smallest ( 5") coil, but I pretty much give it a miss on wet sand and shallow water in favour of a PI. Like mentioned the cs4pi is very good value, will work as well as other salt dedicated machines that tend to start over three times its price... just no real disc. If you like detecting for the sport of it as much as anything, and if your beach is not packed with rubbish or iron, it is worth trying... I guess people take to it or not - it is quite a purist approach, but with practice you learn to disc out about half the trash/iron signals by sound. Works fine on all substrate, but is not a land machine if the soil has any iron mineral (or similar) in it. So rocks, hardpack etc. at the beach no problem. Digging is easier on the beach also. I have used it for years and it works:

https://image.ibb.co/fBZ6v6/20171127_042427.jpg


Maybe you could get hold of one to test it ?

::g
Last edited by Twit on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dom
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am
Location: Thanet, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Dom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks Twit, the c-scope looks more viable to me. Not sure how trashy the shoreline from reculver to Margate is.
If anyone has used a pi detector a long that coast it'd be great to hear how you fared?
Equinox 600, GM5+ and a broken Deus Lite :(

User avatar
Mega B
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:59 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 99 times
Contact:

Re: Just tried the GoldenMask 5 + on the Beach

Post by Mega B » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 am

It basically all depends on how much beach detecting you plan on doing,if you do just say the odd few days a year while on vacation then it just does not warrant the expense of a dedicated machine,but if you plan on doing it alot or live near the sea,then the only way forward is using a multi freq VLF machine or a Pulse.

It also boils down to budget,a 2nd hand multi freq machine/s like say the Minelab Sovereign or DFX can be bought reasonably cheap these days and do offer full discrimination or of course the Pulse option,you can buy a straight forward PI machine like the C-Scope and they do work very well for the price bracket,but some Pulse machines like the TDI pro or GPX offer in my mind superb discrimination,but of course these come with a massive price tag attached with them but they are at the pinnacle of Pulse technology.

Some single freq VLF machine does work better than others on the wet sand,but for the most part they still need de-tuning so that they can run of a fashion,the main VLF machine that i use on the beach is my old faithful DFX and also i use my TDI Pro or for macro gold jewellery i use the Mirage with the small 5'' Mono coil on.

Once again it all depends on how often you go detecting on the beach

Post Reply

Return to “Other Brands Forum”