Need help choosing a detector for my Daughter

All topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own category here.
Other Brand Videos
Michaelknight

Re: Oscar - the latest finds

Post by Michaelknight » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Hope u dont mind me posting here but it seems to fit best with this thread. Impressive finds Oscar.

I'm currently considering buying a detector for my 7 year old daughter, who is very tall for her age and q technically minded.

CTX_Phil, I see you've owned 2 detectors that I'm looking at. Would greatly appreciate a quick opinion fr yourself, and anyone else who might like to comment.

Looking at the Bounty Hunter Junior which I can get for £55 (seems pretty good). Also the Minelab 22 for £112. Tempted by the Bounty hunter price but wondered if the Minelab would be easier to use with its visual elimination display. That said, noticed ur comment Phil that it's a little clumsy. The £57 saving on buying the Bounty hunter could be put towards an upgrade one day, or a detector for myself, if she was enjoying going out hunting.

Other outside options appear to be the Minelab 44 (with National Geographic branding) at £139 but getting painfully close to Garrett Ace 150 pricing (altho I'd imagine it's not wise re weight and size); also the Joan Allen Coinshooter jnr at £77 but can't find a single review of it, or the chinese machines at £60 odd that seem to get mixed reviews e.g. Dr Otek lightweight altho also the one on here that people seem to q like which visually appears the same as the Otek https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... its/104328

Overall thinking Bounty hunter jnr but if you believe one of the other detectors might be easier to use (esp with better visual info) or get better results then please let me know, thanks. I had a metal detector years ago and would like to get back into it, this could be the opportunity.... thanks again in advance for any thoughts. All the best M

Blackadder43

Need help choosing a detector for my Daughter

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Hiya and welcome
I thought it best if i split your post off the old topic and make you a new one
I think you will get a better response here
Good luck with your choices
The only one thing i will say is try to keep away from the chinese makes as they will only frustrate you and your daughter
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Michaelknight

Re: Need help choosing a detector for my Daughter

Post by Michaelknight » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks Blackadder43

chillidog

Post by chillidog » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 pm

personally i would go for the ace 150 @£149.95 for the full kit & 2yr Warranty better kit for your ££ than the others you mentioned.as to the weight she should be alright i seen many kids using them at her age on rallies in the past.and even if she don't want to do it at the later stage you got yourself a machine to carry on with and a good return if you want to sell it later for a upgrade its a no brainer
when i 1st started detecting i had the ace 250 and a great time with it and some great finds.
i think you be ok with the ace ::g ::g
hammered coins : 2018 =6
roman coins :2018 = 5
roman silver coins :2018 =1

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 am

What a great idea to buy a detector for your child. I have experience of the Garrett Ace 250 as I started out with one. It was fantastic and I found loads. The 150, in my research has never had a bad word said about it. I have no experience of other 'starter' machines, but suggest you do loads of on line research before buying. the Garretts come out very well all of the time. Good luck
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:41 am

I started with the ACE250 and it proved to be a great bit of kit which was easy to use. Good luck and may the Gods grant you many finds. ::g

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:02 am

Save a bit of money to buy a pinpointed, essential kit.
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.
C.Scope CS4PI

So many fields, so few permissions

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 am

The 150 / 250 is a very popular choice but there are now newer models available like the Garrett 300i,
400i
For a 7 year old these models are still on the heavy side to swing for a considerable amount of time, if you have the option to try one out before purchase that would be the ideal solution ::g
Best of luck in whatever you decide on.
mrix

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:31 pm

I tried to get my 10 year old to try out my 250 and he found it was too heavy for him.
or the chinese machines at £60 odd that seem to get mixed reviews e.g. Dr Otek lightweight altho also the one on here that people seem to q like which visually appears the same as the Otek https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... its/104328
He has the one you linked to, it's not too bad really. We've found quite a lot in our garden (mostly scrap) and one or two nice finds on pasture (medieval jeton and small Roman nummus). So it works but it's not one I'd recommend for an adult. But it's worth a shot for a child, you don't really want to spend a lot of money before finding out whether or not your child will maintain an interest.
So what if I don't know what Armageddon means.
It's not the end of the world.

CTX_Phil

Post by CTX_Phil » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Sorry only just spotted my name mentioned on this. The main thing you'll need to consider for your daughter is the weight of the detector. Obviously performance is a factor too but there's no point buying a machine she won't be able to use for more than five minutes. Out of the go find & bounty hunter the later is defiantly the lighter but performance wise the go find has more options & better depth I would say. However as I said before I did feel it was a bit clumsy as it's a very chunky square looking machine. Although a garrett is a good starter machine your daughter will struggle with it unless she's stronger than your average young child! Not sure if I mentioned it on the thread you've read but my son also used a technetics digitek which was still light and offered the best performance out of the three but was also the most expensive from memory. To begin with as a starter machine I would maybe go for the bounty hunter to begin with & go from there. Although it's not the best performance wise she'll still find bits and it will hopefully get her interested in the hobby. ::g

Michaelknight

Post by Michaelknight » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks very much to everyone for their friendly welcome and advice. Although I'd like to go for the Garrett with it having better relative performance, as Phil, mrix & wessexlad suggest I just fear my daughter will get tired out using it v quickly, so all and all will go for the Bounty Hunter Junior for now, and if we get on okay, will quickly buy a Garratt 150 or 250 for myself, that she could make some use of. Incidentally, on this occasion Amazon's German site was much cheaper than the UK one offering the BHJ for £55 (incl delivery) rather than £92 from Amazon UK. Teknetics Digitek does look good but unfortunately currently difficult to buy with UnearthedUK (officially the sole supplier) out of stock. Thanks again. I'll post again if/when I have something to contribute!

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Hello, ive just bought a go find 40 second hand, and its really good, and ive got other high end machines, bought this as it was going cheap, and to pass on, good depth good iron discrim, light as a feather, bluetooth for use with free app pinpoint, ect only prob i have with it is it eats batteries!

Return to “Other Brands Forum”