Seriously need AKA Sorex help please

All topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own category here.
Other Brand Videos
blueonceagain

Seriously need AKA Sorex help please

Post by blueonceagain » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Im beginning to regret buying this one now.

Sensitivity 10,threshold 10,gs filter max,even lowered gain,tried the different algorythmns,ground balanced properly.

Result,ding,dong,snap,crackle and pop everywhere.

So logical guess is Im doing something wrong.Even iron appears right hand side as a good straight line reading +55. B| B|

Any suggestions much appreciated for sake of mental well being.

Xp gmaxx ll.Whites M6.Sovereign GT.Nokta Fors Core.Sorex Pro

BlackBridgeBoy

Re: Seriously need AKA Sorex help please

Post by BlackBridgeBoy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Hello again blueonceagain.
You may not have Ground Balanced the Sorex properly. It took me some time to get the hang of ground balancing my Signum but now I know how to do it it's only a matter of seconds.
There are a number of youtube videos that show the correct way to ground balance the machine.
Iron should not appear on the right-hand side of the Hodograph, unless it is VERY large iron - in which case it will show low on the RHS of the Hodograph.
Have you tried a full reset to factory settings?
Can I ask, did you buy the machine new or was is second-hand?
Regards.
Nick.
BBB.
Last edited by BlackBridgeBoy on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Born & Bred

blueonceagain

Post by blueonceagain » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:32 pm

New from Wiltshire detectors.

All seems ok with balancing.Up and down approx 3 times,straight line and then it pings.

Ive read the extensive manual several times watched youtube videos.

Now Im stuck.

Thank you for replying again.

BazButtons

Post by BazButtons » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I owned one a few years back,I can't remember what settings I used as I've owned one or two machines since. But it was a very capable unit with great depth,but I do remember that correct ground balancing was crucial or you found the responses all over the place, on some ground it was very hard to balance so i balanced it over a magnet ( feriite) I believe,then it would balance very well,

blueonceagain

Post by blueonceagain » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 pm

OK.Not heard that one before but I will try anything.Ill try some hot rocks first.

Thank you for that suggestion.

BlackBridgeBoy

Post by BlackBridgeBoy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 pm

BazButtons is correct. On very trashy sites you can balance with a piece of Iron (or magnet).
However, I'd suggest that try manual GB. I always GB mine manually. Check out the YouTube videos.
Don't use Hot Rocks, as they will not give you the correct reading for GB.
Regards.
Nick.
BBB.
Yorkshire Born & Bred

bob79

Post by bob79 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Check out Ziggyjink YouTube channel, one of them he ground balances an Aka Berkut 5 with a fridge magnet, same principle applies to the Sorex Pro.

Bob ::g

BlackBridgeBoy

Post by BlackBridgeBoy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Don't lose faith in the machine - it's a very capable bit of kit. It just needs to be set correctly.
I nearly threw my Signum away after the first few attempts with it. Then I got the hang of it, and now I wouldn't swap for anything else.
Regards.
Nick.
BBB.
Yorkshire Born & Bred

Rah7265

Post by Rah7265 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 pm

I have one that works fine but I must confess I didn’t set it up. The only time it has misbehaved is when the battery’s were low and it did all kinds of strange things.

If you live in the north west you are welcome to try mine and copy the settings.

BlackBridgeBoy

Post by BlackBridgeBoy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Best thing that I can suggest is to get in touch with Wiltshire Detectors and tell them that you are having problems with the machine.
I'd start there, rather than driving yourself crazy trying to set it up.
Best regards.
Nick.
BBB.
Yorkshire Born & Bred

Copperballs1

Post by Copperballs1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I loved this machine when I had it 3 or 4 years ago. I wish I could remember the settings. The ground balance procedure you have described appears to be correct. To date this is the only machine I used in which I never dug iron or foil. Iron was always on the left and foil as I remember gave a ‘hollow’ different tone to a good signal. The hodograph always showed foil correctly (can’t remember now if this was a straight line going straight up on the display). There were a few times my machine was erratic but lowering the emi setting and sensitivity seemed to address these problems. I also once had a loose connection where the cable plugged into the control box. Disconnecting this cable and then reconnecting it remedied this. Overall the machine was excellent (especially working amongst iron infested sites and the depths it achieved). Let us know how you get on - good luck with sorting it out. ::g

blueonceagain

Post by blueonceagain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 am

Thank you all for your replys.Very helpful on this forum.

Heres a clue if it helps.I thought I would try it in my concrete yard.Just switched it on,nothing else,practiced with various objects,gave no false signals and picked up even small objects at a very good distance from the ground.

Then out in the field again.Not trashy apart from the usual farming iron.Rush hour at an amusement arcade on a Sunday afternoon during peak of summer holidays. B| Sounds like an ace 250 picking up a row of coins.

Ive had lots of machines down the years.Worst Ive ever had was during my school years when I owned a crappy old fieldmaster.Piece of junk.

So to sum up it does work but there is nothing to be found in concrete yards.Manual ground balancing does not help???????

blueonceagain

Post by blueonceagain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:38 am

Sorry forgot to add its not the field.I can even use my Nokta fors core in it on D12 for those who know that machine.A lot of the time it is very chattery unless run in D13.

BlackBridgeBoy

Post by BlackBridgeBoy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:14 am

Have you considered that there might be underground power cables in the field that you are detecting. That would really screw up the machine.
Try it on another field, or on a garden.
BBB.
Yorkshire Born & Bred

blueonceagain

Post by blueonceagain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am

Definitely no cables.Plenty of coke though.ID mask on Nokta removes at 45.Thanks again.Will take machine elsewhere though before I give up.

Copperballs1

Post by Copperballs1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 am

I’ve been looking at one of the AKA forums and someone else suffered similar problems as you . They suggest a factory reset, lower gain, sensitivity and EMI. Failing that, one of the users suggests this...”It seems you are suffering from iron "side" signals. Switch economy mode on and reduce Gain to 3 and Sensitivity to 8, Threshold to 6. Right swinging technique is another side of a coin, check thread "Those little bleeps"”.

I clicked on “Those little beeps thread” as per this link below:-

https://en.akaforums.com/threads/those- ... #post-1873

Don’t know if the link will work as I had to create and sign in as a guest on the AKA forum.

Hope this helps you a bit more. ::g

Copperballs1

Ps. I clicked on the link and looks as though it focuses on right swinging technique. I’m sure you have the correct swinging technique so didn’t mean this to come across as patronising! I thought the link may provide better information for you.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am

hello, sorry to hear your having problems with the AKA, did you contact Wiltshire detectors on this, if so what was the response ?

blueonceagain

Post by blueonceagain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Copperballs1 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 am
I’ve been looking at one of the AKA forums and someone else suffered similar problems as you . They suggest a factory reset, lower gain, sensitivity and EMI. Failing that, one of the users suggests this...”It seems you are suffering from iron "side" signals. Switch economy mode on and reduce Gain to 3 and Sensitivity to 8, Threshold to 6. Right swinging technique is another side of a coin, check thread "Those little bleeps"”.

I clicked on “Those little beeps thread” as per this link below:-

https://en.akaforums.com/threads/those- ... #post-1873

Don’t know if the link will work as I had to create and sign in as a guest on the AKA forum.

Hope this helps you a bit more. ::g

Copperballs1

Ps. I clicked on the link and looks as though it focuses on right swinging technique. I’m sure you have the correct swinging technique so didn’t mean this to come across as patronising! I thought the link may provide better information for you.
Thank you for taking the time to do all that for me.I tried those suggestions but nothing worked-until for some reason I thought I would try the trashy MM mode even though its not a trashy area.Like magic the machine became stable.I could raise both sens. and threshold to 15,gain to 6.Now I have a working detector and feel I am getting somewhere.Many thanks to all who gave helpful suggestions.

Return to “Other Brands Forum”