Golden Mask 5+ upgraded model, anyone use one?

All topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own category here.
Other Brand Videos
Mud Max

Golden Mask 5+ upgraded model, anyone use one?

Post by Mud Max » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Curious about the upgraded GM5+ as it seems to have a lot of plusses at a reasonable price. Is anyone using one and can you get them in the UK ?
Xp Deus 11" coil
Garrett 400i + Nel Tornado coil

Jedi Master button finder

Koala

Re: Golden Mask 5+ upgraded model, anyone use one?

Post by Koala » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Koala wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 pm
link
Thanks for the link, I get the feeling these are very underrated machines. I am yet to read a truly bad review.
Xp Deus 11" coil

pistolpete

Post by pistolpete » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi mud max,I'm probably kicking myself in the teeth here as I own a 5+ and have done since this January gone.are they any good, the short answer to that is yes! ,but! And it's a big but! I don't know where you detect ie north or south , but up here in the north we have a thing call coke,no not the stuff you shove up your nose, lol, but the black kind.the problem is you can't disc it out, and iv tried ground balancing it out it works for a time but then it's starts to drift back in, small bits register in around 87 -88 mark on the vdi but the noise on a coke infested field is terrible.two other things that it doesn't really need are power box, this feature is practically useless in my neck of the woods all it does is amplify the signal of an already sensitive machine. The other thing is a feature called disc depth, this feature is something we definitely don't need on a machine in this country, in short it does what it says , on a scale of 1- 15, it would be ok if you could switch it off but you can,t. If you still decide you want one, keep the gain on 2 and the threshold on 20 no more or youl be getting excessive chatter, oh and keep the power of switched off , it's a gimmick, P's if I wanted a go again I'd go for the British version 1+, iv seen one in action and they're just as good for half the money. Hope this helps.

GC-1023

Post by GC-1023 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 pm

i would be inclined to go with what pistolpete says .
I owned 1+ ,4wd,and 5. the 4wd was the best of the bunch giving a inch more depth on coins when ground balanced slightly positive ,but when set that way you do dig more deep iron .
the 5 was ok but when cranking power up to increase depth it did get fooled by deep iron like the 4wd ,maybe with time i could have recognised it using the spectragraph .
I still own a gm1+ and for what it cost me it performs truely amazingly .
only thing i would say after trying three models and several coil options is the older round 10.5" and 7" coils were noticably better (more sensitive to small stuff) than the newer spider coil options that are lighter and more pretty .some might not agree ,but i would be happy leaving the 10.5" on my GM,sadly it arrived with a 9" and the vendor couldnt put error right .
Only other coil that might outperform the 10.5" is the mars tiger , deep ,very sensitive ,super separation , but doesnt like wet grass .
minelab musketeer ts800 ,13" ultimate ,15 x18 sef
Etrac , 6" eq2,10 x12" sef,detech 18"
GOLDFINDER GF2
Golden mask gm1+
garrett groundhog
BH Junior(for kids on beach)

pistolpete

Post by pistolpete » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:04 pm

One more thing,the 5+is the only go that has disc depth, my mate has the 4wd gm and he says cokes not a problem with this machine.

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks all this is very interesting feedback, especially in regards to the GM1+. I know a chap who grabbed one second hand for his son and he says he's impressed with the depth. The telescopic stem is pretty good for ease of transport too methinks.

Mars Tiger coil - I had one on my old Sorex Pro and I had the same problem, after rain it went nuts !
Xp Deus 11" coil

pistolpete

Post by pistolpete » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:32 pm

A friend has the 1+, it's the one with the union jack on, he's very impressed with it.

pistolpete

Post by pistolpete » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:48 am

Just an update on the 5+,mines back in Bulgaria getting an update,apparently mine was one of the faulty ones with a software bug, so I'm hoping it's going to perform properly. Iv also just bought a golden mask thracian 15th uk edition for the missus to use , a simple switch on and go machine ,ideal for anyone starting in the game.

Return to “Other Brands Forum”