RUTUS ALTER 71

Topics related to RUTUS metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
FULLTIMER

RUTUS ALTER 71

Post by FULLTIMER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:41 pm

I know a few of you have these machines so how you getting on with them, have they made your previous detectors redundant etc do you have any favourite settings to share, you might have guessed by now that I have just ordered one hopefully should be here tomorrow and might get a chance for a quick session after a bit of work.

MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES
BEST FINDS HERE; https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/v46/my-ads.html

tcawood

Re: RUTUS ALTER 71

Post by tcawood » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 pm

I upgraded from a Chinese detector to the Rutus a month or so ago and I love it!

I'm a complete newbie detectorist so I'm still learning everytime I go out, so apart from altering the audio elements I'm pretty much sticking to the pre-programmed settings, though I'm switching between basic and coins, and occasionally deep on the same stretch of ground to see what differences I get.

I'm mostly using the larger coil in the understanding that I'm getting a little more depth, but did try the smaller coil on stubble and found my first Victorian penny with it.

I've also gone over some ground on my hill-farm permission and the Rutus has found things my first detector had missed, including George III penny.

I've also invested in the Rutus rucksack which is great for carrying it (with both coils) on digs.

Good luck with your new purchase!
Last edited by tcawood on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 600, Rutus Alter 71, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Congrats on your Rutus.

Since I bought mine earlier this year, my finds rate has gone through the roof, especially silver coins ::g Now I am not saying that any other detector would not have found the same coins, but my Rutus did. Including a gold stater.
My Rutus is an equal match to the other detectors that my buddies use, which includes two Deus machines, an AT Pro, and a Nokta impact. I also have an GMP, and an old E-trac, the Rutus is always first choice. Light, stiff, and great battery life, the build quality is first class, I think you will love it.

Now as you may well imagine, I have run mine in all the pre set modes, and have also played with the majority of the settings, but I come back to just two, for the most time out detecting. First choice is always coins, although I may bump the frequency up a few notches, I always use this setting on pasture. but out on plowed or disked fields I run in Fast, just as it is loaded, and it always amazes me how much depth this setting gives me, and also how it nails very small silver.

If I broke my Rutus tomorrow, I would drive down to Fontwell to get another immediately, That is the best review I could say about it, it rocks. ::g :D

BM B-)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 pm

An interesting Vid for the Rutus owner...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiEmQsvsowY

::g

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Sounds like it's all good then, strange thing is I was only intending to buy a lighter back up machine to go with the Safari that I've been using for years and love but after reading about the Rutus I just had to give it a go so i still havn't got the lighter backup detector for when the arm/shoulder plays up but never mind I can always use a harness if need be.Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips, now gold stater sounds good to me I can only live in hope

Mark

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Ah yes thanks for the link I watched that last night along with a few others.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:05 pm

You will not need a harness with the Rutus, it is very light and very well balanced ::g it is no secret that my only criticism of the Rutus is the wireless module, but my one is an early version, I have been told that has been improved. ::g

I have always said if anyone wants a try with my Rutus at a rally or dig, just ask, that still holds true, I am quite happy to take time out to show how it works. ::g

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 pm

FULLTIMER wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 pm
now gold stater sounds good to me I can only live in hope

Mark
A solid 75 on the display, same as a pull tab :D ::g

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Bargeman wrote:

That's not a true comparison. Just because both machines are on Reactivity 2 it does not mean they process at the same speed, also the discrim is different on various machines. If your going to go over a heavy iron patch, set both machines in the mode suited to it and then compare them when they are set up to run in the conditions. And you can't go into Deus fast and drop the reactivity because that' NOT DEUS FAST ANYMORE !! The Rutus has had some great reviews, and I am sure it's a solid performer, but I honestly don't think the comparison is fair on either machine regardless of what came out best.
Last edited by Mud Max on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Quest Q40 combo pack

Jedi Master button finder

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Agree with Bargeman, it's pretty light, no issues swinging it...

Not sure if I've got an early or late version of the wireless module, but I've got it connected to some £30 Garrett headphones (needs a jack adaptor) and they seem okay to me... once ive ticked them down my shirt and into a back pocket... certainly beats being connected to the detector.

Best of

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:28 pm

Bargeman wrote:

Fulltimer I am sure you will be happy with the machine.
I do not use a Rutus Alter 71 but have only heard good reports about them, and one of the detecting magazines some time back had a review of them and they were impressed. They certainly seem to offer a lot for the money.

However, what worries me about ALL reviews is how independant the reviewer is. The video that BM links to certainly looks impressive, however if you look at the comments there are serious issues raised about how valid the comparison is. Considering that Des is wearing a Detecnicks (sole UK seller of the Rutus) sweat shirt and he thanks them at the end it woud be rather surprising if he said it was a poor machine.

Evan

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 pm
not fair on either machine regardless of what came out best.
I never said anything came out best, I just said it was interesting ::g

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 pm
Mud Max wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 pm
not fair on either machine regardless of what came out best.
I never said anything came out best, I just said it was interesting ::g

Sorry Bargeman I was not criticising you in any way mate, I just think the video was misleading.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Quest Q40 combo pack

Jedi Master button finder

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 pm

I've no ability to compare my Rutus to anything other than my other machine... but the nagging doubt I was missing things with my first detector has completely gone, because now I can check the faintest signal in other modes very quickly even down to non motion.

Based on the research I did, the Rutus is ridiculously feature rich at its price point and the dual coil deal just seemed too good to be true. My reckoning it should have been pushing £900 for what you get and I got mine for £500 (2nd hand)... and I've no regrets.

I do however like the look of the Equinox too... if I had a spare £900 that'd be my backup machine :))

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Well it arrived late this afternoon so never had a chance to try it out, looks like it's first outing will be on old stubble as the field I was intending to try it on was being ploughed and drilled when I passed. All looks good so far, was assembled in a few minutes and ready to go although I thought the lower stem and the lugs on the coils looked a bit thin but certainly all seems pretty sturdy.

looksold

Post by looksold » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 am

hi fulltimer, i use one and i do like the machine and out of three machines use it the most.
I dont know how tall you are but on my first outing i found the armrest was situated too far forwards for me to be comfortable (i am 6'3") i then discovered it is adjustable so i put it in its rearward position and is now really comfortable. the two programmes i use mostly are coins and fast and i will say it loves hammered coins i have found about a dozen with it since april including a farthing last week but i think my other machines may also have found them, really its me that found them by walking in the right place!! GOOD LUCK i am sure you will not be disappointed.
i also watch this forum looking for tips and settings Bargeman seems to be very active! i still feel i have not yet found the perfect settings, i normally only spend an hour or so out in the field at a time, but go out regularily, and cannot be bothered to spend some of my time messing about with settings but any good tips i am listening.....

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 am

FULLTIMER wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 pm
Bargeman wrote:

Ah yes thanks for the link I watched that last night along with a few others.
Different coil sizes. Different coil types. Different settings (possibly) Equals different results.

What it does show is both are excellent machines.

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am

Wish people would show what a machine can do. It was enough just to test the 71 on its own without trying to score points over a different manufacture.

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Concentric coil vs DD as well i agree not an equal test.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I've only had the machine out for quick half hour session mainly using the preset coins setting , seems that most people are tending to use either the coins or fast settings do you apply any discrimination at all, I've been using the deteknix wireless headphones with no problems. Oh and you were right about the solid 75 bargeman, found my first ever ...................

RINGPULL ;;z

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 pm

I found a gold colour ring pull today, just to rub salt into the wound :D rl; I find the pre loaded discrimination to be about right for most situations, but I will adjust threshold volume a little occasionally.
The notch function works well, but too many of the good targets have sound profiles that match junk targets, so I now tend to not use notch very often. but I do trust the VDI screen and the little vertical line, the shorter and more vertical the better.

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

neeilix

Post by neeilix » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Congrats Mark on the new machine and the ringpull!
Look forward to hearing how you get on with the Rutus and hope the first stater appears soon, I keep hoping my first one will pop up soon too.
Neil

alec

Post by alec » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Had a lovely phallic geometric quarter stater with mine last week. 3-4" and gave a scratchy signal. I was in basic but running at 14.2khz with zero discrimination using relic 2. I had previously buried a hammered penny as a test piece at around 5" and struggled to pick it up cleanly which was a surprise so got my mate to run his deus over it and it couldn't find it.. Must of been down to soil conditions as balancing was around the 79 mark. Had mine couple of months and finds rate has soared!

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Cheers Neil, early days yet, had another hour this afternoon nothing totally spectacular but a good few buttons,buckles etc and topped it off with a Viccy sixpence and what I think is a jetton in pretty poor condition but can just make out some detail hopefully be better with a little cleaning.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:47 pm

alec wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 pm
Had a lovely phallic geometric quarter stater with mine last week. 3-4" and gave a scratchy signal. I was in basic but running at 14.2khz with zero discrimination using relic 2. I had previously buried a hammered penny as a test piece at around 5" and struggled to pick it up cleanly which was a surprise so got my mate to run his deus over it and it couldn't find it.. Must of been down to soil conditions as balancing was around the 79 mark. Had mine couple of months and finds rate has soared!
sounds like you are getting on with the Rutus, I've had very little time with mine so far so alway's interested in other peoples settings ,opinions etc, one thing I would like to do is to create my own id tones in the user group so low numbers have low tones high numbers higher tones etc I assume this can be set up and would save having to keep checking the screen so much.

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Yep you can set the tones exactly as you like, and with 3 user profiles you can experiment a little too!

I was lucky as I bought mine second hand and the original owner had set up one of the User sound profiles so tone went up with each ID number... think it would have taken him an age to do!

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 pm

I think I'll give it a go sometime after a good read of the instructions, pity they didn't do one of the preset profiles like it in factory,

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm

I always do my experimenting with one of the programs I am least likely to use, in my case that is "Ultra Deep" I set it all up the same as one of my preffered choices, for example "Coins" and then start changing the things I want to try. This way I always have an unmolested version of my preffered program ready when out in the field.
And if it all goes horribly wrong, I can just reset the modified program back to factory and start again ::g

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm
I always do my experimenting with one of the programs I am least likely to use, in my case that is "Ultra Deep"
Dunno what version of the machine you have , BM, but mine says 'Ultra Fast', not 'Ultra Deep' - - is that just wishful thinking? Sorry I'm being pedantic :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Makro multi Kruzer
Deus Lite v.3.2 + WS4
Garrett Pro Pointer

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Phil I have 7 pre loaded programs ....

Ultra Deep
Deep
Big Silver