GP Pointer failing?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
RossDG

GP Pointer failing?

Post by RossDG » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 am

Hi all, thought I'd share a years experience with the GP Pointer (Kuman branded, but just a sticky label over the GP Pointer name!). I bought it originally as the GM5+ did not have a pinpointing function and depending on target size and shape I would often find the targeet in the sidewall of the hole.
It has worked quite well for the last year getting reasonable depth on targets, but over the last few outings has started to randomly "Indicate" a target in the hole, when the target is elsewhere then when the PP is taken out of the hole it continues beeping. This happened before and a new battery solved it, but this time it has not. Now I think it may be a temperature/humidity issue as the problem is far worse on cold/damp days. As a test I kept the PP on a radiator for a while (low heat though) open and no battery, reassembled and then tested indoors - all fine. I sealed the speaker hole, took it into the field....same problem. I could ocassionally get it to retune by powering on and off whilst holding the tip against the sidewall of a hole, but it soon reverted to random beeping..so I guess it is toast.
Since getting the Nox 600 my need for a pinpointer has reduced, but not gone, and having wasted time trying to locate difficult and small targets with a falsing pinpointer I have now taken the plunge and gone for a minelab 35 - Here is hoping this improves things!My detecting buddy also recently bought a GP - which suffers the same issue, even well away from the ground, minerals, iron debris etc. so is being returned.
In conclusion, for the money, the GP Pointer has worked well and done its job and it was a real toss up between buying a branded PP or just replacing like for like; but my buddies experience swayed it.

Happy hunting all - I know many people use the GP by the way, and get on great with them, I'm not knocking the product, just sharing an experience!

Equinox 600
Goldenmask 5+
Garrett EuroACE
GP Pointer
Leaky wellies!

Bors

Re: GP Pointer failing?

Post by Bors » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:48 am

Probably going by your post , something is definitely telling you its time to move on to another brand now. myself I have a GP pointer too but only because it came with one of my detectors when I bought it. I havn`t used it yet to be honest due to a spell of inactivity due to a shoulder replacement but I normally have always stuck to a Whites Bullseye 2 probe which for me does the job fine . As long as you put some protective covering taped over the on/off switch to ensure you keep the dirt out ,it will always perform adequately., well it has for me anyway.(the Bullseye that is ).
Last edited by Bors on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fisher F75 SE DST.
Tesoro Mojave.
Teknetics T2 SE DST.
Tesoro Bandido 2 UMax & NEL Snake coil.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am

I bought a GP pointer over 12 months ago, and it was great to begin with, but going from not using one, to using it was a big stepped improvement. I also suffered with the random falsing, and the only way to reset it was to undo the battery cap, move the battery and turn it back on again. It was a inconvenience but worked. I also used the 1p taped to the side trick to gain some more performance - this also worked OK. As I'd upgraded to the Deus, I decided it was time to upgrade the pinpointer. This was another huge stepped improvement. I went for the XP MI-6 to go with the Deus.
If any newbie wants my old GP pointer, it's yours, I'll even post it to you foc.

Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 am

shaggybfc wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am
I bought a GP pointer over 12 months ago, and it was great to begin with, but going from not using one, to using it was a big stepped improvement. I also suffered with the random falsing, and the only way to reset it was to undo the battery cap, move the battery and turn it back on again. It was a inconvenience but worked. I also used the 1p taped to the side trick to gain some more performance - this also worked OK. As I'd upgraded to the Deus, I decided it was time to upgrade the pinpointer. This was another huge stepped improvement. I went for the XP MI-6 to go with the Deus.
If any newbie wants my old GP pointer, it's yours, I'll even post it to you foc.

Andi
You can`t be fairer than that Andi, and even posted as well.
Good Man !!
Fisher F75 SE DST.
Tesoro Mojave.
Teknetics T2 SE DST.
Tesoro Bandido 2 UMax & NEL Snake coil.

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Haha, mine's just started doing the same thing though the seller accidentally sent me two so I've a spare until I have to stump up for something better.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:59 pm

My GP Pointer has been pretty reliable. It does occasionally start beeping away madly while not being near anything but restarting it seems to cure that. Good for entry level although I'm sure more expensive ones do a lot more.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Dave Lowe

Post by Dave Lowe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:12 pm

I have a GP pointer and sometimes mine just goes mad beeping, but as said you can just turn it off and on or better still if you just touch it to something metal, spade, trowel, whatever and it stops beeping and resets itself.

carlburt78

Post by carlburt78 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Mine was doing the same thing last time I was out , even changing the battery didn't help, I gave up in the end and managed just with my detector , it's been perfect every other time though .

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:51 pm

Mine's behaving itself again

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 pm

I do about 20 hours detecting a month and mines still fine. They don't like being used as a digging tool. I have always had insulating tape over the speaker and around the cap to keep it weather tight.

Does depend where you switch them on. They calibrate when they first switch on. If you switch it on 3 feet above the ground and the ground is mineralised when you approach the hole it will sound.

same the other way round. If you switch it in a hole and then move it away from the hole it will sometimes sound in fresh air.

The only problem I have had is when some clay was stuck to the end of it.

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 pm

Koala wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 pm
I do about 20 hours detecting a month and mines still fine. They don't like being used as a digging tool. I have always had insulating tape over the speaker and around the cap to keep it weather tight.

Does depend where you switch them on. They calibrate when they first switch on. If you switch it on 3 feet above the ground and the ground is mineralised when you approach the hole it will sound.

same the other way round. If you switch it in a hole and then move it away from the hole it will sometimes sound in fresh air.

The only problem I have had is when some clay was stuck to the end of it.
Yeah, problem was it just got worse until it either didn't react to metal an inch from the tip, and constantly buzzed other times, often nowhere near the target. Having extended several holes chasing false signals I have bought a minelab 35...at a good price.
Equinox 600
Goldenmask 5+
Garrett EuroACE
GP Pointer
Leaky wellies!

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”