GP Pointers - Any use?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
Frenchieboy

GP Pointers - Any use?

Post by Frenchieboy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:14 pm

I am about to start metal detecting again after a good few years away from the hobby. I never used to use a pointer and didn't have too much trouble finding my targets. However after looking at countless videos on Youtube is strikes me that Pointers are all the rage with metal detectorists nowadays. Please can anyone tell me if they really are an asset or if they are sold and used just as a gimic/accessory that isn't really necessary.
The one I am thinking about getting (If they are an asset to the detectorist) is the GP Pointer..

I have also watched this video which shows how to "Super Tune" the GP Pointer, does anyone know about this also please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVphPxPjcp8

Any help and advice will be more than welcome.

Mod Edit - PM Sent

Wessexlad

Re: GP Pointers - Any use?

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:30 pm

I've got one, seems to work ok. Not sure I'd do the mod from the video.
So what if I don't know what Armageddon means.
It's not the end of the world.

Frenchieboy

Post by Frenchieboy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Wessexlad, what sort of depth do you get from your GP Pointer on (Lets say) an average silver hammered please. Also do you think it helps with your detecting and the recovering targets?

Many Thanks
Frenchieboy.

Saxo45

Post by Saxo45 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:42 pm

I've never used one and never will.You only have to watch you tube videos to see people faffing about trying to find a small target.......it takes them ages and they end up going over the spoil with the detector again anyway.I've never had a problem finding any target by just waving the soil under the coil,no matter how small it has been.
Some will disagree but i think they are one of the most useless gimmiks in metal detecting.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 pm

I wouldn't use it for depth, that's what the pinpoint mode on your detector is for. I use it after digging the plug to find out where in the hole the target is. I'd be surprised if it could detect anything more than a couple of inches away in the soil. An air test isn't a fair test.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:51 pm

As Wessexlad has said, they're "ok".

I've been using mine for a little while, and as has been said, no issues and definitely useful.

The depth isn't great, but it does help if you've literally just missed the target.

I did try out a friends Garrett pointer, and it's no comparison on depth.

I find mine to be accurate enough to show me where i'm supposed to be going with my little digging spoon.

I will say, the only reason I bought it is because we are very tight on money, and it's all I could afford.

When I can afford a better one, it will be replaced.

But until then, it does do the job "just fine"

Cheers
Rob
Garrett Ace 400i Still on "L" plates! ------------- NCMD registered

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:18 am

Hi, moved your post to the pinpointer section ::g

This topic might help viewtopic.php?f=71&t=90979
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 am

"An air test isn't a fair test."

Pinpointers go deeper in-ground than in air. Air-tests are fair, in the sense that air is the same everywhere. So comparing one pointer with another will at least be done under identical conditions.
:(

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:55 am

Mines still going strong. You can see when I bought it from the original thread.

There are some iffy GP supplier around sell the old version that doesn't work as well

Why would you want it to go any deeper here in the UK

It fine for finding things in the hole. Any more and it will sound everywhere in the hole on larger targets.

Might be different if you are digging in a park and retrieving targets with a knife or screwdriver
Without digging a hole.

the-roman

Post by the-roman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 am

The only advantage to having a pointer is is that you can pick out a cut half or cut quarter in amongst the grass roots in the winter when the ground is muddy and wet. ::g
Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 am

A Pinpointer I wouldn't be with out....which one that is the million dollar question...with out mentioning brands maybe the one with least functions, I've found with the 2 I have 1 is wireless and with sens at 50 I find struggles on small stuff u have to give yourself a clue again with the detector(the detector outperforms the pinpointer)and the other orange one I keep changing the sens way too easily....maybe I'm unlucky and get the Friday afternoon ones....good luck

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:31 am

Would say the consensus on any pointers regardless of make is that they can be a useful addition but never a replacement for the detector itself (or good eyes).

W [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:38 am

If you are on a field with a lot of Surface 22 bullets and cases it will save a lot of time and make much less of a mess of the clod with a pinpointer.

On dry ploughed its as quick to wave soil in front of the coil

Where they come into there own is on deep targets on there edge as these are rarely in the centre of the hole.

I use both the waving the soil and pinpointer methods.

But was glad of the pinponter last Sunday as it was difficult to take a second spade full out of the ground due to the dry conditions.

Pathfinder1977

Post by Pathfinder1977 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 am

For me it depends on what detector youre using. For 30 years I used to use only early C-Scopes (up to the 950-D), which were quite good on pinpointing the finds. However now Ive just bought an Arado, which seems to find things deeper - and found for the first time I needed a pinpointer!! There were so many signals the Arado found that I couldnt locate, or it took ages to find (and even gave up on a few) that the pinpointer was now an essential item if detecting was to be the pleasure it used to be. If other brands of detector are anything like this, the target area is now larger than it was, and so you will need a pointer or you will spend most of your time digging instead of actual searching! You will find this out soon enough when youve been out with your machine a few times and learn how well it can pinpoint objects. If you think youre spending too long digging, then get one.

But a couple of things to note here. Avoid the cheap pointers, and the foreign copies of the good brands. They usually work via motion only, so as soon as you keep the probe still you lose the signal. Not only that they tend to break down too easily due to cheap materials. Even some expensive probes can give problems when they age, such as false signals as in the Garrett Mark I Pro Pointer for instance. You can sometimes repair them, but as a new starter, I recommend you avoid this kind of hassle and buy a brand new one, which will have a time guarantee, and help save you from being put off the hobby.
Patience
Persistence (sometimes sheer pigheadedness)
A good detector
Fully charged batteries

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 am

I disagree with the comments on the garrett mk 1. I have been using mine for 3 years with no problems. Never have. But then i don't dig with it as I found it falses if you push on it which I think is a lot of peoples problems. Just run it around the hole and it is enough for you to locate the target.

I think a lot of the copy pointers are copies of the MK 1 garrett now they have moved on the the mk 2 and carrot. You can see why they are popular when the cheapest branded one is now over £100. Gone are the days of even a £75 garrett.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 53 Hammered

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 am

Pathfinder1977 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 am
They usually work via motion only, so as soon as you keep the probe still you lose the signal.
This is not true of the GP Pointer, it's non-motion. I've been using one for a few months and it's worked very well up till now. The fact I've only been finding nails and scrap iron is neither here nor there, it still finds them in the hole and indicates where to dig further.

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 am

Been using the GP Pointer for about 9 months, no issues at all, it is very useful for finding tiny targets in the hole, and also pointing in the right direction if the firts plug isnt deep enough. One thing to note, when the battery is getting low it tends to beep continuously - I threw the instructions away so don'y know if it is supposed to. It is rugged, and does the job. Others may do it better, but I have not had cause to think I need a more expensive one.
Equinox 600
Goldenmask 5+
Garrett EuroACE
GP Pointer
Leaky wellies!

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm

RossDG wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 am
Been using the GP Pointer for about 9 months, no issues at all, it is very useful for finding tiny targets in the hole, and also pointing in the right direction if the firts plug isnt deep enough. One thing to note, when the battery is getting low it tends to beep continuously - I threw the instructions away so don'y know if it is supposed to. It is rugged, and does the job. Others may do it better, but I have not had cause to think I need a more expensive one.
cheers for that I have never changed my battery yet.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 pm

RossDG wrote:
Just checked the instructions , "When the battery becomes low, the detector will sound an alternating dual-tone alarm". Mine does the continuous beeping now and then, turning off and on again seems to resolve it. Not sure what causes it, I thought at first it was only if it was wet but it happens when dry as well.

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Wessexlad wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 pm
RossDG wrote:
Just checked the instructions , "When the battery becomes low, the detector will sound an alternating dual-tone alarm". Mine does the continuous beeping now and then, turning off and on again seems to resolve it. Not sure what causes it, I thought at first it was only if it was wet but it happens when dry as well.
Oh, interesting - mine has only done it the once (well several times in one detecting session) and a new battery seems to have stopped it, but only been out twice since replacing the battery with little pin pointer use.
Equinox 600
Goldenmask 5+
Garrett EuroACE
GP Pointer
Leaky wellies!

pengles

Post by pengles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 pm

There have been good and bad reports about the GP pointer. I've had mine for a year, used it really extensively and it has honestly been faultless.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 pm

i also have to agree with f8met, my garrett mk1 pointer died last week after 8 years faithfull service and no problems previous to that. i saw the GP pointer on fleabay for £16.99 so i thought for that price i would chance it, it will work or it wont. it arrived yesterday.

to compare to my old garrett, it dosent beep the second you switch on maybe 1-2 secs later. its exactly the same shape and size as the garrett same holster battery etc. air test it finds a 5p at approx 1 1/2 " where the garrett is about 2" it doesn't beep as quick and its not continuous when touching the target. (but almost)
you cant discrimanate like you can with the garrett and its mode is vibrate and sound, no other option, the vibrate is a bit weak. it also has the low battery sound.

in my opinion 1 1/2inches for detection is ample when looking for your target, if you need more then you might need to concentrate on your pinpointing.

i dont know what its like in the field yet but so far i can cope with its performance for £100 less than some other pointers after all its only an extra for if and when needed. how long it will last might be another story.

hope that helps

neil.
Just using the Force Image

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Wow that was a bargain Mole. About the price of the holster and cable.

Let's hope it stands up to a bit of use.

Be aware there not waterproof. And the o ring in the battery compartment is a bit small. Nothing a bit of insulating tape will not cure.

My holster is a bit big but it doesn't fall all the way through.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm

my holsters a bit large have you tried it upside down koala?. the holster that is lol

my mistake not £16.99 but £18.99 and it came from the uk within the week although the seller is in china ::g

item number 152978161577

peteh

Post by peteh » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 am

£18.99 ? that's £12 cheaper than we paid for ours almost 18 months ago!
Will order a spare in case one gets lost again :))
Cheers Mole
T2 classic, GP Pointer and a bucket full of optimism :D

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:20 am

Any pin pointer is an indispensable tool on a wet beach, especially in black areas. Who wants to pick up a handful of that stuff to wave over the coil, not me.
In the field, no matter how well you pin point with the detector, there are many times when you’re a bit off. Pin pointer, at the very least, tells you which side of the hole to extend.

A Gimmick, no. An absolute essential, no. A useful Time saving tool, definitely. ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:20 am
A Gimmick, no. An absolute essential, no. A useful Time saving tool, definitely. ::g

Well said. Need adding to all do I need a pinpointer theads.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Koala wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 am
Ladybird66 wrote:

Well said. Need adding to all do I need a pinpointer theads.
I absolutely agree! Back in the day I didn't use one and wasted so much time. I'm on a meadow with deep finds and loads of air rifle pellets and small studs... I would hate to search for those little blighters without my carrot. I still sometimes wave over the coil, but the pp is far easier. Also useful to check for an iffy foil signal just under the surface.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Any pin pointer is an indispensable tool on a wet beach, especially in black areas. Who wants to pick up a handful of that stuff to wave over the coil, not me.
In the field, no matter how well you pin point with the detector, there are many times when you’re a bit off. Pin pointer, at the very least, tells you which side of the hole to extend.

i agree all the way lb66 and yes even if you pinpoint spot on you can still get it in the side wall, what i was getting at is that you dont need a pinpointer that reads more than 1 1/2 " its ample so no point in spending over a hundred quid because it will read at 2-21/2 inches. quality and how long it last could be a total different story ::g

DAVYBFAST

Post by DAVYBFAST » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 pm

friend had one last week to try £20 not much good get a garret ::g

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”