GP Pointers - Any use?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
Pathfinder1977

Re: GP Pointers - Any use?

Post by Pathfinder1977 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Glad to learn the GP pointer is not a 'motion' unit. My own Garrett Mark I was already falsing when I bought it second hand. Its quite an old one, but I managed to repair it OK (fingers crossed). The problem was the common one of internal wiring shorting on the circuit board. The first attempt was nearly disastrous though because when switched on the unit stayed silent and a few seconds later the battery got so hot it had to be removed or it would have melted the casing! The cause of this new short circuit was probably a board component that had been accidentally bent over by me and was touching another component. That solved, it was then very very hard to put the inners back into the casing! Thats why I recommended to buy new if youre not prepared to put up with this sort of hassle.

Agreed -certainly dont recommend using probes to dig with either. These are sensitive electronics - not spades!
Which reminds me of a joke. A new starter lumberjack got a job to fell the trees in a forest. So his boss gave him a brand new chainsaw, and said "Here, use this", and left him to it. The first day he felled 40 trees. The second day he only felled 10 trees, and the third day only 1. So the boss went up to him to find out what was wrong. He thought the chainsaw must be starting to malfunction, so he took the chainsaw from the new starter and switched it on to check it out. The new starter said ''Whats that noise?"
Digging with probes? Nah!

Patience
Persistence (sometimes sheer pigheadedness)
A good detector
Fully charged batteries

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:46 pm

so had mine in the field last weekend. dose it turn on as quick as any other, no. dose it bleep as quick as others, no. dose it find your target, yes. no problem at all ::g thats all it needs to do in my book

neil.
Just using the Force Image

peteh

Post by peteh » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Horses for courses Mole, I have commented before and we have used a couple for a good while now and ours does the job with no fuss. Maybe coming from a better brand, with various other function sensitivity adjustment, ground balancing etc might be a let down but the detector gets us close enough.
Interesting to read that some don't work straight out of the packet or after a few day. May be a poll of suppliers might be helpful to those who are new to the hobby or interested in trying one out to determine if there is a supplier or suppliers selling faulty/poor quality units?
Equinox, T2 classic, GP Pointer and a bucket full of optimism :D

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:39 pm

well unless it stops working in the next couple of weeks i wont be spending around £100 on another cause this dose what its supposed to

peteh

Post by peteh » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Either an expensive or cheap pointer, this weather when the ground is baked hard, a pointer has saved me damaging two nice finds. In my opinion a pointer is part of the necessary equipment. Conversely I'm on my sixth shovel/spade. expensive and cheap ones... decided i'm too eager find out what is under there so small bites from now on. Shovel Thread anyone ? :D :D :D
Equinox, T2 classic, GP Pointer and a bucket full of optimism :D

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:06 pm

THE MOLE wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:39 pm
well unless it stops working in the next couple of weeks i wont be spending around £100 on another cause this dose what its supposed to
Does what it says on the box :D

Feel sorry for people that it hadn't worked for them.(two I believe now) But there no point in throwing the toys out of the pram. Performance is fairly similar to the gen 1 Garrett. Try again would be my advise.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:57 pm

It depends on what detector you run. I use a GMP and I never have needed a pinpointer. X always marks the spot. Exactly.
I think as its an extra if you are going to get one it may as well be one that absolutely does the job and improves on the pinpointing your detector can manage...otherwise why bother? Just because they are all the rage doesn't mean a thing. It has to suit your detector and your permissions. I see lots of people on Youtube faffing about with pinpointers and it seems to waste more time than it saves. On the other hand if your soil is problematic like gloopy clay for example I am sure a pinpointer can help. (Unless you have a GMP and know how to use it. :D _
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:11 pm

i agree littleboot every machine ive owned pinpointed fine and the targets always in the hole, unfortunatly my lamps arnt what they used to be and need one for the smaller targets. if i didnt have one and found say a 2.2 pellet i would be at that hole for hours ;;z

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”