ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Which pinpointer to buy?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
JunkFinder

Which pinpointer to buy?

Post by JunkFinder »

I'm thinking about treating myself to a new pinpointer. I had the original garrett and when that packed up I bought a cheap gp pointer but I'm looking for something better.

The 2 that have cought my eye are the Fisher F-pulse and the XP MI4 anyone have and good or bad experience with these.
XP Deus Lite 11" Coil
Minelab Equinox 600
Garret Pro Pointer
1x Hammered

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

My mate The Fenman on here has had a few problems with the XP pin-pointer. Its been back for repair once and intermittently unreliable since. Very good when its not playing up though.
I have had the Garrett Carrot for the past two years, which has been completely reliable. I have it on vibrate only, so the battery lasts for ages too.
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

JunkFinder

Post by JunkFinder »

That kinda puts me off the XP a little. The Fisher seems to get great reviews across the pond but i've never actually met anyone over here that has one!
XP Deus Lite 11" Coil
Minelab Equinox 600
Garret Pro Pointer
1x Hammered

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood »

I definitely recommend the Nokta pointer!
Nokta/Makro Multikruzer
Nokta pointer

Doyoudigitman

Post by Doyoudigitman »

I'm with wigeon on this one I've had the Garrett carrot
On vibration only,saves battery life and a reliable bit of
Kit. ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

This is probably the one Roughwood means, (Nokta and Makro have merged and are now the some company), and I would also recommend it.

https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... ter/103558

Evan

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood »

Yes, that's the one Evan. ::g
Nokta/Makro Multikruzer
Nokta pointer

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

No problems with my Mi6 (same as the Mi4 except for the wireless connectivity) and they appear to have been a very reliable pin pointer. But it’s the same with most of them today I suspect. The nokta looks good too, and is cheaper ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

cammann

Post by cammann »

Bought a Garrett years ago.....never had a problem and due to its simplicity and rock solid performance would buy another in a heartbeat. Was tempted by the XP as I love my Deus but decided to stick with what works for me.
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring and the quiet enjoyment of the countryside.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick »

Pretty much the same as Cammann above. Works perfectly (withstood some rough treatment), so no reason for me to move away from the carrot. ::g
Equinox 800
XP Deus
C-Scope 1220b

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.

Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult and we truly understand and accept it, then life is no longer difficult.

JunkFinder

Post by JunkFinder »

The problems I had with my original garrett have kinda left a bad taste. I'm a bit reluctant to buy another. On doing some further research it seems some of the Fisher pointers had problems too.

I can get the MI4 for £105 which is as cheap as the nokta. So I am once again leaning towards this one.
XP Deus Lite 11" Coil
Minelab Equinox 600
Garret Pro Pointer
1x Hammered

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

The MI-6 is great when wirelessly paired but I hated it as a stand alone as vibrate was clunky like a jack hammer and it seemed a bit quiet. I don't know if the MI-4 is any better? I sold mine with my Deus and bought another Garrett carrot which does exactly what i want it to do and how I want it to do it. It's tough and very reliable. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER »

Down the beach I still use the Vibra probe 580 which I have been using for nearly 10 years.
It's robust and is waterproof to 100ft.
Don't know if it's still available in the UK but may be available if you know someone who is going to the US.

Staggie

Post by Staggie »

Im thinking about this too, im wondering about garrett At or xpointer pro a bit cheaper but needs a good or maybe the similar spec nokta which i know nothing about.

Need waterproof to 10m at least, cos of our anti-grav rain and inevitable drop in the surf/Loch

Cheers
Garrett AT PRO
GP-Pointer. Yes i know...!
3 year old son in tow.

"Oh look another A-hole with a tiny lump of trash"
"Always look on the bright side of life"...

silverfox

Post by silverfox »

I bought a cheap Chinese pointer for £8.49 and it's been great, it does everything it should and I have no complaints. ::g

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

I have been using the Makro pinpointer and its "ok" but nothing exceptional for the price.

The one thing I have noticed is that it does not seem to detect small pieces of foil very well, but for coins ect it works decently enough..

I would add that a mate uses the Garrett carrot and I would say in general, it picks up most targets at least an inch or so deeper.
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Northerndigger83

Post by Northerndigger83 »

i'm also looking for a new pointer and have narrowed it down to the MI4 or the Minelab pro find 35.

Both look good, as does the Fisher. I use an Equinox 800. Would the detector used make a difference when selecting a pin pointer?

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc »

XP MI-6 is a great pin-pointer. It does have a manufacturing fault - the board can fail and prevent it staying on. This is fixed under warranty without any issues.
Garrett pin-pointers are also very good.
I once had the GP Pointer, it did a job, in a fashion, but nowhere near the same performance as the more expensive machines.
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

silverfox wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 am
I bought a cheap Chinese pointer for £8.49 and it's been great, it does everything it should and I have no complaints. ::g
I'm pleased that you are happy with it, but what you've never had you will never miss! x;
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

Northerndigger83 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm
i'm also looking for a new pointer and have narrowed it down to the MI4 or the Minelab pro find 35.

Both look good, as does the Fisher. I use an Equinox 800. Would the detector used make a difference when selecting a pin pointer?
Some pinpointers can cause detector interference. I find that the Garrett carrot works great with the Nox 800. ::g
White's TDI SL

geoff

Post by geoff »

I have the garrett carrot, it has been reliable over two years or so, andbit works well.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Steveo1973

Post by Steveo1973 »

I have the Nokta Pointer. Great PinPointer, no concearns here and comes in a great display case. Best Pinpointer for under £100
Steve
Minelab Equinox 600

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Hello all, as we can see by this thread there are so many different pinpointers that do a very good job ::g
For anyone interested to see what pinpointers are available here is our very own MDFShop Pinpointer Category - Metal Detecting Pinpointers

staters quo

Post by staters quo »

I had a Garrett Carrot for a short while and it was absolutely terrible. After half an hour's use it started pulsing uncontrollably and even refused to switch off. I ended up having to remove the battery to switch it off. It did this repeatedly until I threw it in the dustbin. Never again.

I then got something called an XPointer which has been completely faultless, although it does get my Deus a bit overexcited if I'm in the 12K sort of range - which I usually remember to sort out by bumping the frequency up a bit.

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

staters quo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:46 pm
I had a Garrett Carrot for a short while and it was absolutely terrible. After half an hour's use it started pulsing uncontrollably and even refused to switch off. I ended up having to remove the battery to switch it off. It did this repeatedly until I threw it in the dustbin. Never again.
Ha ha! Yes, they do that on the original completely rubbish "Black cat" battery very shortly after bought, so it's best to swap the battery out for a decent one from new. Even the Dealers have requested that Garrett supply a decent battery with them. When the carrot's start to pulse or act differently it is just telling you that it is time to change the battery, likely the same on most. I always carry a spare battery though and usually get 3 months plus out of one when only using vibrate and very highly rate the carrot. So rather than just changing the battery you threw it in the bin! Have they emptied it yet? Where do you live? :D
White's TDI SL

staters quo

Post by staters quo »

Yes well throwing undesirable things in the bin is something I seem to have inherited from my 87 year old dad. Had I known it was just the battery I might have done things differently! Especially as it did seem to have a better range and sensitivity curve to the XPointer but you live and learn.

I do have an MI6 as well but it has a hamstery sound which weirds me out

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

The simple fact is there’ll be good or bad batches for every type and make of pin-pointer. If it’s a good make, and the two you are looking at are both great makes, then it’s a case of what functionality best suits your needs, then it’s looks and price.

If all else fails do ‘ip dip’ or toss a coin :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

staters quo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 pm
Yes well throwing undesirable things in the bin is something I seem to have inherited from my 87 year old dad. Had I known it was just the battery I might have done things differently! Especially as it did seem to have a better range and sensitivity curve to the XPointer but you live and learn.

I do have an MI6 as well but it has a hamstery sound which weirds me out
Hey ho! onwards and upwards, I couldn't get along with the MI-6 as a stand alone, but they are awesome when wirelessly paired up with a Deus. I am just trying to imagine what a hamstery sound is? :D ::g
White's TDI SL

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

Had anybody used either the Fisher or the newer Whites pinpointers and if so, would they recommended them?
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

BlackBridgeBoy

Post by BlackBridgeBoy »

I've used a Mars Pinpointer for the last three years, and it's never let me down. It's tough, water-resistant and costs only £70.
A G**gle search will bring up details of the UK Supplier.
BBB.
Yorkshire Born & Bred

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”