ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Pin-pointer, tip protector Required ?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
Metallica

Pin-pointer, tip protector Required ?

Post by Metallica »

Hi all
Just grabbed myself a bargain Nokta Pointer off a guy who I think ordered it by mistake as he said it felt too chunky in the hand , I like it as I have big hands and it is brand new unused . I have a question ...I have noticed on you tube etc people often using them without the plastic tip protectors and I'm wondering if it's because it reduces effectiveness at all ?
Cheers ...

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood »

Hi. I've got one, they're great.

As for the protective cover - I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't use it... It would be like not having having your coil cover on.

Does NOT affect performance in any way.
::g
Nokta/Makro Multikruzer
Nokta pointer

Metallica

Post by Metallica »

Roughwood wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:08 am

As for the protective cover - I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't use it... It would be like not having having your coil cover on.

Thanks for that Roughwood , just goes to show how clueless I am at the moment ! But popping up questions on here seems a great tool and hopefully one day I will have more to contribute than just beginners questions about equipment . Cheers ...

haggz

Post by haggz »

Metallica wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:56 pm
Roughwood wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:08 am

Thanks for that Roughwood , just goes to show how clueless I am at the moment ! But popping up questions on here seems a great tool and hopefully one day I will have more to contribute than just beginners questions about equipment . Cheers ...
still dirty from Saturday. the covers are worth using if you have them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
equinox 800
makro pinpointer

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood »

Blimey! I thought mine was dirty!

Metallica - you're welcome! At first, everyone asks things that later might seem obvious.
You'll find that folks are more than willing to help. Good luck with your detecting. ::g
Nokta/Makro Multikruzer
Nokta pointer

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

My pin-pointer didn’t come with a tip protector. I used one once with a garrett and found it very annoying after a few trips. It still needs cleaning and pin-pointers are made of hard, tough plastic so don’t need protecting.

Well, unless you are going to use it as a digging tool (yes some people do!) x;
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

JBM

Post by JBM »

I have a Nokta pin pointer to use with the Simplex.

That way I can keep the MI6 for my Xp Deus set=up.

Keep safe,

Jerry.

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:19 am
My pin-pointer didn’t come with a tip protector. I used one once with a garrett and found it very annoying after a few trips. It still needs cleaning and pin-pointers are made of hard, tough plastic so don’t need protecting.

I've actually worn two holes in my garrett pinpinter and have successfully filled them with epoxy resin glue (the araldite two pack type). Had to clean it thoroughly, make sure the surface was dry and then leave it for 24 hours after the filling bit. Works a treat too.

fred

Post by fred »

Mancave-man wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:39 am
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:19 am

I've actually worn two holes in my garrett pinpinter and have successfully filled them with epoxy resin glue (the araldite two pack type). Had to clean it thoroughly, make sure the surface was dry and then leave it for 24 hours after the filling bit. Works a treat too.

Well done on having one which has worked long enough to require body repairs. ::g
Well worn Equinox 800 x2
Nice (temporarily) shiny new one x1

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

I have the Makro pinpointer (basically the same as the Nokta) and always use the cover, it just gives the tip of the pinpointer extra protection, and have noticed no difference in performance.

Same as with a coil cover it gives the "sensitive internals" extra protection.
As I said ages ago when somebody asked about coil covers, "If you accidently hit a stone hard what do you want to replace?. A £100+ coil or a £20 coil cover?".

Evan

Bors

Post by Bors »

Originally they never came with or had covers available for them .
I must be using mine wrongly all these years. I`ve never found a need for a tip cover or worn a tip out. Surely the idea is , they are pinpointers ,not scrapers as I see lots using them for x;
All I do with mine is give a light rummage in the spoil heap brought onto the surface but some look like they`ve been used to gauge the soil away in holes as you`d use a knife in a hole .
If you need to use them for that, I think your pinpointing skills need sorting out. :))
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

I've worn through the casing of my original Garrett Propointer, I could see the shinier black potting resin showing through. I cut off the pointless 'sifter blade' so the tip was round, and glued on a 40mm length of heatshrink sleeving over the end. It works well, lasts over 6 months before I replace it, and it's been going for 4 years like that.
So YES, tip protectors are a good idea, but they don't need to be anything fancy to be effective.

I've had other people's Propointers in for repair, and they all had some tip wear. One was severe, I was expecting to see copper wires showing, but the heatshrink protector saved it, for a while, anyway.

( and no, I don't use it for 'digging' , but I do use it a lot, and when using it in a hole I definitely rub the tip in among the loose soil, and will lightly rub the hard soil to get maximum range. Do that enough, and it will wear, it's only plastic. )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”