pinpointer repairs?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
clint

pinpointer repairs?

Post by clint » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello all,
I have posted regarding buying a new pointer but after a Google I realise there may be a possibility I could get the Garrett fixed. The problem I have with it is constant falsing and / or sounding off which can drive you bananas! I found a youtube vid where the chap has the same problem and he finds out it's caused by two of the wires coming off the circuit board are not insulated and when the board is in situ they bend and make contact with the board causing falsing when the pointer is moved or knocked. He fixes it by removing the wires and insulating them and also says if you can't solder then placing a plastic guard over the board should work. Anyone have any experience of this? There is also the option of getting someone to do this..I once found someond on the net who repaired pointers but can't seem to find him again..I think he was based in Jersey but not sure..

regards

Clint

Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

sweepstick47

Re: pinpointer repairs?

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Cheers Clint, It's always good to know about these potential 'fixes' just in case ::g sweepstick47
A disservice is no service at all.

SteveAlan

Post by SteveAlan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:09 pm

I talked about this problem with my Garrett ProPointer with Regtons yesterday. Mine is also falsing sometimes and it drives me nuts. It's not all the time but often enough to be really annoying. The shop told me it could be repaired but for almost the same price you can buy a new one.

Are other brands more reliable eg the pro pointers made by Whites, Minelab etc?

It's a shame because I like the Garrett one a lot...when it works. :)]
XP Deus v3.2 with 13" coil.
Tesoro Silver Sabre Micromax.
Garrett Pro-Pointer.
Black Ada stainless steel spade.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter: @SteveDetecting
http://www.twitter.com/SteveDetecting

clint

Post by clint » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Nice one Glen on posting the link! I'm rubbish at that sort of stuff! It does seem plausible regarding the cause of the fault. I also think what's to lose? Mine is on the point of being ritually slaughtered! Wonder if putting some insulation tape around the wires would be ok?

regards

Clint

been Googlin found this..
http://www.tony-metaldetecting.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[email protected]

based on the Isle of Wight does detector and pp repairs
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Nice, just watched the video. Thanks for posting the link Glen, haven't had a problem with my pro-pointer but If i do get this problem it looks a very simple fix.
Clint , I see no reason why wrapping the wires in insulation wouldn't work, the man in the video also mentions putting an insulator on the board where the wires may touch should you not wish to insulate the wires. ::g

Tony

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:18 pm

clint wrote:Nice one Glen on posting the link! I'm rubbish at that sort of stuff! It does seem plausible regarding the cause of the fault. I also think what's to lose? Mine is on the point of being ritually slaughtered! Wonder if putting some insulation tape around the wires would be ok?

regards

Clint

http://www.tony-metaldetecting.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[email protected]

based on the Isle of Wight does detector and pp repairs
I can sort most things for you if you want only down the road at Crewe so can meet up ::g

Going to be away though till mid September ;;z

clint

Post by clint » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Yeah that sounds great cheers! I'm not in a rush so can sort something when you get time. Wonder if insulating the wires will fix it as looking on the net falsing can also be caused by the ferrite rod or coil breaking which is a bin job.

Regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Henrikras

Post by Henrikras » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:36 pm

If I can be any help just ask or PM. Did some small repair at my own Garretts PP. Just be carefull with the switch, there is not much room when you take then board out. Switch needed to pressed and hold down.
Henrik.

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Henrikras wrote:If I can be any help just ask or PM. Did some small repair at my own Garretts PP. Just be carefull with the switch, there is not much room when you take then board out. Switch needed to pressed and hold down.
Henrik.
Henrik Is the technique Guru here in Danish Detecting society.. Trust him.. ::g
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:31 pm

clint wrote:Yeah that sounds great cheers! I'm not in a rush so can sort something when you get time. Wonder if insulating the wires will fix it as looking on the net falsing can also be caused by the ferrite rod or coil breaking which is a bin job.

Regards

Clint
Yep quite likely to be the insulation breaking down causing shorting or wire moving about being detected by the coil. Most are quite easy repairs.

Time not a problem just on my way to Norfolk

Want be long back then its the forum dig if your going I could see you there

clint

Post by clint » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Hello all,
after another diabolical performance from the GPP this morning and me being impatient and fed up with it I decided this afternoon I would have a look at it. Taking it apart is easy, remove the battery and the tiny screw inside the battery compartment. Next pull the rubber cover off the on/off button then press the button to the ON position, this is to enable the circuit board to slide out, the switch gets in the way otherwise. Next grab the battery compartment and GENTLY pull, at the same time ensure the on/ off switch passes cleanly into the pointer housing. Slide the board out until the three wires, two red, one black, are visible. Apparently the cause of most falsing are the uncoated red wires touching the board. Originally I tried to cut a plastic cover to isolate the wires instead of removing and covering, as I can't solder. This was a palaver so I got some plain old electricians insulation tape and wrapped it round the wires, a bit fiddly but can be done. ENSURE POWER SWITCH IS IN ON POSITION BEFORE STARTING REASSEMBLY.Replacing the circuit board is a pain as the three wires connect inside the pointer housing into one thick stiff wire, this needs pushing down as you feed the board along the runners it sits in. After a lot of messing about I found the easiest way was to push a stiff strip of plastic through the switch hole to hold the wire down while gently pushing the circuit board into position. As the board moves into place remove the plastic strip at the same time. Ensure the on switch is in the correct position then before final assembly test it. If ok replace screw in battery housing and rubber switch cover. My pointer use to sound off for no reason or after locating a target would keep sounding even when no where near metal. Waving or knocking it would set it off. After fiddling with mine initial tests seem encouraging. I have tried many times activating the pointer on various metal around the house, it works as it should. The only falsing I can get it to do is to really shake it like a mad man and then it's only the odd pip which is probably due to my cheap fix. Time will tell but it does look like those bare wires are the culprit.

regards

Clint
Last edited by clint on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Nice one Clint. Keep us posted re performance over the coming weeks.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Cheers Clint. I'll give that a go before I finally bin it. :))

I've got three here..Garrett, Minelab & Whites TRX. They all sound off for no apparent reason at times. The worst offender by far is the Garrett. The first one was carp straight from the box, the second one was better but, not usable now.
The minelab is good but, it's a tad quite & lacks oomph imo :)) I'm now mostly using the TRX....blows tothers into the weeds regarding depth of detection & I can hear it! :)) ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Speaking as someone who has done plenty of pinpointer dismantling, hacking, etc, getting the flipping thing back together is by far the hardest job.
When I read this line: "After a lot of messing about I found the easiest way was to push a stiff strip of plastic through the switch hole to hold the wire down while gently pushing the circuit board into position."-- I though I'd describe my solution to this problem. I found looping some medium-strength string around that short length of wire during assembly allows you to pull the wire backwards as you push in the circuit-board, creating the necessary loop. Slip out the string when the board is 90% home.
Last edited by Fusion on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
:(

clint

Post by clint » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:12 am

I did try that but ran out of hands and willing children!

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Redcap

Post by Redcap » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:57 am

Hi Clint,
I have been having the same problems with my GPP. I phoned Graig at Regton and he was most helpful. If the pointer out of warranty than it can cost either approximately £51 or £61 depending on which of the two possible causes are making it erratic and falsing. Plus seven pounds return postage.

Mine is still under warranty so I immediately posted it back to Regton and am now awaiting their findings.

I have been using my brothers for the past month as mine was driving me round the twist so I decided to contact them to see what could be done. I wouldn't pay that amount to have it repaired and would rather purchase a new one.

I will keep you posted.
Regards
Les x;
Nothing is more special than today.

Minelab E Trac :D

Minelab X Terra 505.
Deteknix wireless headphones.
Member of FID.

Garrett Propointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade ::g
Evolution Extreme Blade ::g

clint

Post by clint » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:48 am

£60 is a lot for repair in relation to the original cost..
IMPORTANT..I forgot to mention if you decide to have a go at your pointer make sure the power button is in the ON position before attempting to replace the board. I'll add it to my repair post..

Regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:30 am

it always amuses me the vast sums quoted to "repair" things ,in the vast majority of cases they dont have the brains or time to "fix" them so quote high hoping you will just buy a new one and leave them alone as theres more profit in new.
In the case of the Garret the Schematic is "out there" (as most circuits are if you look hard enough or belong to forums with an interest in such things),the components are over the counter and cheap the only bit worth more than a few pence is the case.

you could even knock up a new board its single layer and breathtakingly crude.

The biggest problem is getting the board in and out without busting a few more pence worth of switch.

not saying the machine is rubbish but its vastly over priced to the material cost .As they say if you dont buy it (supply and demand)the price will plummet to its real price ,they dont want a warehouse full of unsold goods

one of the circuits the students build in their first year is a basic detector with a ferrite coil,this works better than any pinpointer but ofcourse to fabricate a probe type case impossible without a 3D printer (we have 2 but they couldn't work fast enough to cater for 30 odd students one day a week) so the board stays unhoused and most probably 99% gets chucked in the bin after the initial thrill of making something that works :))

a couple of students put the PCB in a project box and poked the ferrite core out the end covering it in tape and it resembled the lower end machines out there.
you could shrink the board right down but first year electronics students may have brains but their soldering skills are basic and would spend much more time looking for solder bridges than getting on with their work so in this case big is better ::g

in the case of UNI's money is short (so they tell us) so the whole board and components is under a fiver each

the manufacturers also have the cost of design which inflates the material cost ,in most cases after the cost is retrieved the price drops but as i said if they can sell it for £XX then they sure wont sell it for £X if the demand is there

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 am

Quote:"you could even knock up a new board, it's single layer and breathtakingly crude"
It's actually 3-layer plated-through hole, still not that exotic by modern standards, but not something you're going to "knock up". Thankfully, it's not likely to be necessary, nearly all faults are related to on/off switch faults, dirt/damp ingress, or faults in the wires joining the coil/ferrite rod to the pcb.

And as for the sale price of the Garrett probe, I've commented before (with some details) on a similar thread, I think we get it discounted heavily here, it sells for the same price here as it does in the USA. Not +40% like other US gear.
:(

Redcap

Post by Redcap » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Just heard from Craig at Regton and he told me that they are replacing my faulty Pro-Pointer with a brand new one. Cracking after sales service again from Regton. I will receive it tomorrow via courier. Happy days. ::g ::g ::g
Nothing is more special than today.

Minelab E Trac :D

Minelab X Terra 505.
Deteknix wireless headphones.
Member of FID.

Garrett Propointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade ::g
Evolution Extreme Blade ::g

Tinopener

Post by Tinopener » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Redcap wrote:Just heard from Craig at Regton and he told me that they are replacing my faulty Pro-Pointer with a brand new one. Cracking after sales service again from Regton. I will receive it tomorrow via courier. Happy days. ::g ::g ::g
Nice one Les lets hope you find something to use it on =)) that battery in he old one was fully charged =))

clint

Post by clint » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Just a quick update on my repair incase anyone missed my earlier post and comments. Out this morning with the GPP and apart from a couple of chirps it was fine!

regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Henrikras

Post by Henrikras » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:25 pm

One solution to avoid the Falseing by the cable inside..
This allso makes is fare more easy to reassemble...
Silicone and the piece of plastic will close it again. Or araldit.
Henrik.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:45 pm

I just repeat Henriks Photos - hopefully littel larger if clicked..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Henrikras

Post by Henrikras » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks John... You Allways so helpfull to everybody. ::g
I just finish this PP at the pictures and made this video..
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just aks If I can help with anything...
Henrik.

clint

Post by clint » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Open heart surgery! Radical solution! Thanks Henrik and thanks John.

regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Henrikras

Post by Henrikras » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi
I was out two hours today with the improved Garrett PP (coil cable shorten up) and it was silence calm and stabile.... ::g Keep't it turned on and no chattering at all.
No doubt about that this cable close to the board inside, is the reason that some got problems.
Henrik.

Trotboy

Post by Trotboy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Another easy way to solve such a problem rather than electrical tape or a piece of plastic is with a hot melt glue gun, if you have access to one. A blob of hot melt glue will hold the wires in place and keep them apart whilst insulating and providing waterproofing.
Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.

nalag46

Post by nalag46 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 pm

[email protected]

Hi
Sorry about that.
Working on the website. Will soon be back online
Cheers
Tony

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:53 pm

This is an interesting thread, even if it is old.

I have noticed my Garrett PP sometimes (not always) starts chirping at me when I switch it on for no reason. The solution I've found is to wipe the end of it with my left hand; my wedding ring sends it nuts for a moment, and then it seems to settle down and behave properly. I had assumed it was the battery running down, but perhaps I need to consider opening it up at some point and "fixing" the wires. For now it's only mildly annoying, we'll see how it develops over time!

Anyone else have similar issues with the Garrett?

Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”