The GP-Pointer

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
supersaint

The GP-Pointer

Post by supersaint » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi,

Has anyone got any information on the GP-Pointer. Looks like a Garrett.

I can't imagine that it is very good. Has anyone tried it ?

Thanks

Koala

Re: The GP-POINTER

Post by Koala » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Be careful. Some only work in motion mode the video isn't necessary the one you get.

Having said that some work just as well as the original. A bit of a lottery.

supersaint

Post by supersaint » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks Guys

That's what I thought

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Well I thought I would try one from Banggood

Works better than expected. Works in static mode. Sound and vibration is proportional.

Dug a hole in the lawn. Moved the pointer around the sides. No falsing. Tried a .22 bullet foil and shotgun centre primer. All easy to find the hole.

Came with holster and lanyard.

Not perfect. O ring too small to waterproof the battery compartment.
Speaker holes allows water to enter as per Garrett
Doesn't recalibrate as per instructions if you switch off and back on near metal.
Lanyard is very short

Having said that its still very usable but your mileage may vary. Chinese suppliers can be very variable with their quality control.l

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Hello all, I removed the reply made by the-roman as the site linked to something that downloaded an unsafe file when the url link was clicked.
Cheers all
mrix

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Koala wrote:Having said that its still very usable but your mileage may vary. Chinese suppliers can be very variable with their quality control.l
I guess the reverse engineering must be pretty straightforward, and that the performance should - in principle, and all else being equal - be much the same as the genuine article.

Leaving aside the build quality and any possible quality control issues, does yours have a range and sensitivity similar to the Garrett?

Barry
Primary: XP Deus
Backup: C.SCOPE CS6MXi
"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 pm

No idea but its adequate for me. Not got anything to compare with.

Just a quick test. Coin on the floor. Slowly sliding pointer down a ruler until first Beeb.

George V penny 55 mm
£1 43 mm
Tin 95 mm
1p copper clad 40 mm
1p copper 33 mm

What it will do is pick up a low charge 22 cartridge from a fair ground shooting stall which a genuine Garrett 1 would struggle with.

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Koala wrote: George V penny 55 mm
£1 43 mm
Tin 95 mm
1p copper clad 40 mm
1p copper 33 mm
That's very respectable, and within a few mm of what I get from my Pro-Pointer II. Might have to snap up one of those as a spare.

Barry
"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

Bradlo

Post by Bradlo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 pm

I bought one last week..as a newbie, I couldn't really justify the cost of an expensive pin pointer...tried it out this week and was pretty pleased with it ! I've never owned one before,so have nothing to compare it with.... but it seemed to do what it is supposed to !!!
::g

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:57 am

I took a punt on one of these in the end, and it's very impressive for the money (£32.99 all-in on a popular auction site), with a solid build and good sensitivity.

Barry

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 am

My main probe is the Pro Pointer also with a Whites Bullseye as well,but just bought one of the GP pointers as well for a backup,for the price i was most suprised at how good they are,i certainly dont regret getting one ::g
TDI Pro with 9x5 folded mono,14x9 mono,15x12mono,18''mono,20''mono
Deus as a backup
Crossbow Pulse
Mirage Pulse
Nexus MP
Nexus SE
Fisher TW-5 twin box

Jollyboy

Post by Jollyboy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:29 pm

I bought one of these about a month ago, Being new to detecting I was waving fist full of soil in front of the coil to pick out the targets, I found the GP helped me a lot and really speeds things up for me. I have no doubt that its not a patch on the leading makes of pointers however as its been mentioned earlier in the thread it works surprisingly well. I do think that at sometime I will be upgrading to a better pointer and may come back to this thread once I have had something to compare it too,

As a novice one thing I do know is that its better than not having one at all for the sake of £30

BeardedCountryman

Re: The GP-Pointer

Post by BeardedCountryman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 am

I too have bought one of these GP-Pointers. It was recommended to me by a friend who has had a <insert posh make here> a more expensive one. He bought it purely to see if it was any better/worse. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't used it under water so I cant comment on how waterproof it is, but it does exactly what I hoped it would do and performs as well as the more expensive models. I believe Garrett and other makes to a dust cover that fit it if you wanted to make it look a tad more professional. I have a link to where I got it, so send us a message if you want me to send the link to you. Happy digging!
Garrett ACE 400i

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 pm

just ordered one from flea-bay, will wait and see.
the Chinese are catching up fast with the west in many areas of production.
garret 400i "old faithfull" ::g
Quest Q40, The "coin hoover" awesome machine. ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 pm

BeardedCountryman wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 am
I too have bought one of these GP-Pointers. It was recommended to me by a friend who has had a <insert posh make here> a more expensive one. He bought it purely to see if it was any better/worse. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't used it under water so I cant comment on how waterproof it is, but it does exactly what I hoped it would do and performs as well as the more expensive models. I believe Garrett and other makes to a dust cover that fit it if you wanted to make it look a tad more professional. I have a link to where I got it, so send us a message if you want me to send the link to you. Happy digging!
There not waterproof. Water can enter via the speaker grill and the seal at the back not great.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 pm

dreadnought wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 pm
Hope it turns out okay. There are two versions. The latter ones that work in static mode are fine.

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Koala wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 pm
dreadnought wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 pm
Hope it turns out okay. There are two versions. The latter ones that work in static mode are fine.
hopefully ive got the latter one then. cheers.
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Well I got it. And I have to say it's flipping good for the money. No real difference in performance to my Garrett pointer. Came with a holster that looks identical to the Garrett one. Lanyard is pants, but other than that I can't recommend it enough. Found the stuff in the holes fine.

Jollyboy

Post by Jollyboy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm

dreadnought wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01 pm
Well I got it. And I have to say it's flipping good for the money. No real difference in performance to my Garrett pointer. Came with a holster that looks identical to the Garrett one. Lanyard is pants, but other than that I can't recommend it enough. Found the stuff in the holes fine.
I can only draw a comparison on what Ive seen on Youtube from top brand names and the 1 I have... I don't think the GP-Pointer has the range over the leading brands.... I like mine however next year it will be upgraded.... still beats waving fists full of soil in front of the coil

dep1699

Post by dep1699 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 am

I've got a GP-pointer. It actually does the job. I don't know how long it will last as I have used it only one in the field, but so far so good.

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”