Uses for a Dead Carrot!

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
fred

Uses for a Dead Carrot!

Post by fred » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:27 pm

My Garrett carrot expired recently aged 1 year. Not a great disaster as they seldom last me even that long so it's demise was half expected. Fortunately I had just bought a new Minelab 35 probe and I still had Makro the awkward but indestructible as a backup.

Today I took a day off from detecting to get on with some household chores, one of which was to plant out my onion patch. After carefully preparing the soil I needed a dibber and found the perfect one lurking in the back of my car. You should be able to spot it in the photo! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Equinox 800 x2

Phil2401

Re: Uses for a Dead Carrot!

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm

Now that's proper recycling. Putting something back in the ground after taking stuff out. Will probably be good for carrots in season too I guess..

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:03 pm

your carrot has a two year guarantee mate, i think regtons are the people to contact ::g
Just using the Force Image

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Mis-read that Fred, Almost consigned it to the 'Dead Parrot' forum!! :D Cheers ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Fred
Nice bit of lateral thinking there! Mind you, I'm sure I've seen carrots in major supermarkets that have lasted longer than your poor Garrett! Just about to invest in one and hope they last longer than 12 months - what are you using yours for thats brought on its early demise!
Must have spent more time in the ground that out.
Good luck with the dibbing.
Cheers
Len R.
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

fred

Post by fred » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Bootneck45RM wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:11 pm
Hi Fred
Nice bit of lateral thinking there! Mind you, I'm sure I've seen carrots in major supermarkets that have lasted longer than your poor Garrett! Just about to invest in one and hope they last longer than 12 months - what are you using yours for thats brought on its early demise!
Must have spent more time in the ground that out.
Good luck with the dibbing.
Cheers
Len R.
I detect several time a week, sometimes every day, in all weathers. In fairness I probably detect more in a year than most people do in two anyway. It would probably last longer if I actually looked after it! :D

I am in the process of writing a user report on my new Minelab Pro-Find 35 pinpointer and will probably post it later this evening. ::g

I can't be arsed with the guarantee periods and would rather just search for something that actually lasts. Anyway I have no idea where the original paperwork and packaging is.
Last edited by fred on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Dyb,Dyb,Dyb, =D> Dob,Dob,Dob ::g
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 pm

I can't be arsed with the guarantee periods and would rather just search for something that actually lasts. Anyway I have no idea where the original paperwork and packaging is.
[/quote]

Fred - your paperwork is in the same ethereal place as mine - receipts and guarantees carefully put in a labelled envelope at the time of purchase and then put in a safe place for future reference.....just can't remember where that safe place is....

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 pm

When we buy anything that has a guarantee the receipt goes back in the box and the box goes in the attic. Comes in handy if we buy from Aldi or Lidl as most items have a 3 year guarantee.

Pastseeker

Post by Pastseeker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm

I think you might be on to something there, shame it dosent water as well.

Jim [:)
XP DEUS
Put the coil to the soil
Dig a hole like a mole
And hope it's old or made of gold ::g

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Pastseeker wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm
I think you might be on to something there, shame it dosent water as well.

Jim [:)
Home made natural fertilizer does wonders =))

The Nokta Pinpointers (waterproof) are pretty solid and last quite awhile, i have had mine for a year and it still works fine. (Causes interference when using the 8khz)
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Just don’t try and crunch on it fred as it’ll do your teeth no favours.
2019 hammies. = 128 (including quarters, halves and broken)
Saxon = 1( broken sceatta)
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 5
Gold Roman = 0
Gold ring. = 0
Gold hammered .= 1😀

fred

Post by fred » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 pm
Fred - your paperwork is in the same ethereal place as mine - receipts and guarantees carefully put in a labelled envelope at the time of purchase and then put in a safe place for future reference.....just can't remember where that safe place is....

Phil
[/quote]

That's the one! ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 pm
Just don’t try and crunch on it fred as it’ll do your teeth no favours.
Particularly if it started working again suddenly ..... no wait that's a different joke
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:37 am

My first carrot also died within one year, but at least I did have the receipt. :)) The replacement works so much better than the first one ever did, think I just got a bad one. :D
The funny thing is that they say that the brand new replacement only has the remaining warranty of the first one. x; I just can't imagine that to be quite right somehow. :-/
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 am

Easylife wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:37 am
My first carrot also died within one year, but at least I did have the receipt. :)) The replacement works so much better than the first one ever did, think I just got a bad one. :D
The funny thing is that they say that the brand new replacement only has the remaining warranty of the first one. x; I just can't imagine that to be quite right somehow. :-/
I believe the detail is the key. You would think that you have a brand new item therefore you have a brand new warranty. In fact if you buy a car and you have something replaced on it it has a one year warranty usually. But .... a warranty is an offer as part of the purchasing contract with you and the seller. Because it is their offer it falls under their rules. So the answer is .... it depends on the small print each company states about their warranty. It isn't a law. You would have to look at their warranty statements and see what they say. The company who make it not the supplier that is. But it is usual to link the warranty to the sales point as that was when the contract was made between you and the seller ...

... as I understand it.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 am

All goods should be fit for purpose and regardless of many customer services trying to fob you off with the old “It's only got a one year warranty” or maybe even two.
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 – now the Consumer Rights Act 2015– provides that consumers are entitled to a repair or replacement or refund where goods are faulty.
If the fault occurs after six months, the consumer has to prove that the problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse. In accordance with a law known as the Statutes of Limitations, consumers have this right for six years in England and for five years in Scotland.
The simple quoting of this act often brings on the otherwise reluctant goodwill of a shop to suddenly offer to replace the item. So don't be shy. :D
Last edited by Easylife on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:17 am

Easylife wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 am
All goods should be fit for purpose and regardless of many customer services trying to fob you off with the old “It's only got a one year warranty” or maybe even two.
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 – now the Consumer Rights Act 2015– provides that consumers are entitled to a repair or replacement or refund where goods are faulty.
If the fault occurs after six months, the consumer has to prove that the problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse. In accordance with a law known as the Statutes of Limitations, consumers have this right for six years in England and for five years in Scotland.
The simple quoting of this act often brings on the otherwise reluctant goodwill of a shop to suddenly offer yo replace the item. So don't be shy. :D
Spot on Easylife. ::g I've lost count of the times this law has worked for me. It's always fun to witness 'customer service' people crumble when confronted with someone that clearly understands the law. As far as receipts go, the recent trend of the retailer sending them by email makes them accessible with a quick email search. I know this gives the retailer your email address, but it's easy to deregister afterwards. With the early demise of Fred's carrot, I'm glad I bought a GP pointer for £32 - which is workng perfectly for me.
The harder I try the luckier I get.

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:17 am

Hmmmmmm no ... it is up to the consumer to prove etc .... ambiguous and tenuous ... what you want is categorically hemmed in by the law .... specifically the part that pertains to Warrenty. ... and that will encompass the companies policy on warranty .... the terms of which you legally accepted at point of purchase .... didn't like it don't buy it from them etc .... so not as cut and dry as that but may work in your favour .... if you look.

Point of purchase can be proven as stated with an email copy .... PayPal if used will probably drag your money back .... as they've upped their cut and dry date to 90 days now for a complaint to be raised .... or longer if circumstances arise .... and then the carrot has a unique serial code on rear which my receipt referenced.

And if all else fails CAB which seems to have swallowed Trading Standards who are unreachable it seems unless you speak to some random at CAB

Then you have resolver which act as a go between but have no teeth what so ever. But all of these tactics can lean heavy on companies who can't be arsed.

However it seems it's all a moot point in this case cause Freds apparently loaded and buys them like I buy bin bags LOL.

targets

Post by targets » Sun May 13, 2018 6:23 pm

regtons advertise a vibrating motor replacement for a fiver if you can solder 2 wires together.plus a few other parts to rebuild em
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”