What is it with pinpointers?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting pinpointers, probes here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Pinpointers
Arch Stanton

What is it with pinpointers?

Post by Arch Stanton » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am

Hi all, two weeks ago I bought my first 'expensive' pinpointer, having used one of the cheapo GP pointers for a year or so and finding it useful. In the end I got a bit annoyed that it would sometimes bleep continuously until given a bang against something, so I decided to take the plunge and went for a Minelab ProFind 35. I didn't get it from the MDF shop, as although listed cheaper, the postage would have been £5, whereas direct from the same supplier, it was postage free, so came in at the same price anyway - best part of £125. Anyway, having used it a few times, I notice that at power levels 4 & 5, it bleeps continuously every time I move or tilt it, which can't be right, although I have read of others having similar problems. When I emailed the shop, they replied to say I should contact their supplier to ask whether it's normal for that model, as they also had heard they could be troublesome! As yet I haven't heard from the shops supplier. Now surely it's obvious that it isn't right, and I should have immediately been offered a refund or replacement, especially as they acknowledge there's a problem with them! It seems to be the case with pinpointer's, and all the posts that I read about them, that we are expected to put up with their foibles and idiosyncracy's and the fact they die after a year! We wouldn't put up with it for anything else costing £125! I checked the shops return policy, and it says items can be returned up to 14 days after purchase if it is in 'as bought' condition. How can a pinpointer be tested properly and returned in 'as bought' condition?! I assume this is why we put up with them, because we feel we can't return a scratched, slightly used item? As it stands my new expensive pinpointer is no better than my £30 el-cheapo model, and I feel I've wasted £125! I have emailed Minelab direct and am awaiting a response. I apologise for the rant, but I do feel quite strongly about this.
Ps - this is in no way a review of this particular machine, I am sure others have had no problems whatsoever with theirs, and if it wasn't for this fault, I would otherwise recommend it!! Just interested to hear what other people think really!

I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

fred

Re: What is it with pinpointers?

Post by fred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 am

I had a similar problem with my first one, you've probably read the report on here. My new one can still takes a moment or two to settle down if left at the higher sensitivity settings though.

I find that my pinpointer works exactly as it should at sensitivity level 3 and the extra 2 levels are only used if there is no signal in the clod or hole. The ability to do this in two steps is actually proving to be surprisingly useful, especially on 'worked out sites' when I am using the CTX to winkle out very deep, iffy signals. Using the two higher sensitivity levels one at a time, combined with the sound and vibration, I can now make a reasonable guess at which direction and how far away an elusive target is. It sound a bit complicated but it is actually a very quick one handed operation once you are used to it.

For me the analogy is with a full scale metal detector. Some people back off the sensitivity to run quiet and have an easy life while others crank the power up full and put up with a bit of chirruping and instability to achieve maximum depth. There is no right or wrong way it's just a matter of temprement and personal preference.

I have actually grown to like this pinpointer a lot but Minelab should have made the instructions a lot more comprehensive so people would know exactly what to expect and how to get the most out of it. :D

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

Consumer Law.......the seller is responsible not supplier

They have to repair, or replace or give your money back if it is sold not fit for purpose

How long is the garantee period, anything should be expected to last a certain amount of time regardless to 14 day returns policy

If respectable seller wants to keep reputation they should think about the bad PR it could get

Worse case scenario, Small Claims Court online, £25 fee and it worked for me with a very large high street retailer for a TV that was 6 months after garantee period

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Albert Einstein

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am

Steve_T wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am
Consumer Law.......the seller is responsible not supplier

They have to repair, or replace or give your money back if it is sold not fit for purpose

How long is the garantee period, anything should be expected to last a certain amount of time regardless to 14 day returns policy

If respectable seller wants to keep reputation they should think about the bad PR it could get

Worse case scenario, Small Claims Court online, £25 fee and it worked for me with a very large high street retailer for a TV that was 6 months after garantee period

Regards Steve
Absolutely second what Steve T has said, was writing same as he posted. Consumer rights Act 2015 replaced sale of goods act should give you all the details you want, seller not supplier is responsible.
Equinox 800
Quest Q40 (blade & Raptor coils)
Garrett Ace250 (Nel Hunter coil)
HD stainless steel sand scoop with long handle
Garrett Pro Pin pointer 2
Quest Diamond Digger
Spitfire digging tool
NCMD Registered

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 am

If it is faulty then just return it to the shop for replacement or refund, simple.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:19 am

As a customer you are contracted with the seller not the supplier . The seller should take responsibility of any goods that are faulty .

fred

Post by fred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 am

My defective first one was replaced after a fortnight with no questions asked. ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

There does seem to be a lack of quality control.

There was a post on here a few weeks ago about a Garratt the fail from new

The cost bugs me. I have the original Aldi stud, metal and electricity all in one detector that has a large LCD to represent how far away you are. Not ideal as you have to look at the display and it's the wrong shape.

But come on. It does 3x as much, has an LCD, work fine for 2 years and at the time was under £15.

For the limited function and inflated price the manufactures should at least make pinpointers reliable.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

Hope you get yours sorted soon. Good luck and happy hunting

Arch Stanton

Re: What is it with pinpointers? Update

Post by Arch Stanton » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:03 am

Hi all, not been around for a spell, due to other commitments, but thought for fairness, I would post an update to this little saga!
Basically I was told by the shop I bought the pinpointer from, to contact their supplier, which I found a little odd, as I thought my contract was with the shop I bought it from, and should be their job to deal with their supplier?! However I did contact them, and to be fair they were fine and said to send it back for them to check, to see whether a repair or replacement would be appropriate. I told them as it was brand new, I would only accept a replacement, to which they replied they would have to assess it first. Anyway, at the same time, I contacted Minelab directly by email, and they replied the next day, very apologetic about my experience, and said they would get a new one out to me and let me know where to send the faulty one back to. I decided I would take this option, and although the new one only arrived last weekend - over a month later, it arrived with a minelab finds pouch and baseball cap as a token gesture, along with a return envelope for the old pinpointer! The new one works far better than the old one did, which gives me peace-of-mind that I hadn't imagined the problem in the first place. It still very occasionally bleeps on it's highest setting when waggled, but nothing like the original one did. Overall I'm very happy with the service I received from Minelab, and would certainly deal with them again - even if I feel silly wearing a minelab hat and finds pouch, whilst swinging my Laser detector ;) Cheers all - Arch
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Return to “Metal Detecting Pinpointers”