Real diamonds!

Please feel free to post topics about all other metal detecting accessories here.
MDF Auction - Other Metal Detecting Accessories
edge1255

Real diamonds!

Post by edge1255 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Folks, does anybody have any experience of using a diamond tester? They're on sale through the usual suspects, but seem VERY inexpensive, eg £7.50, including postage. Seem to consist of a very fine tip like a needle, and lots of LEDs. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile picking one up. :-/

Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

fred

Re: Real diamonds!

Post by fred » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:11 am

I have a damn expensive professional one and it has been very useful. It paid for itself simply by identifying a blue diamond that I initially thought was a pale saphire. No idea if the cheap ones actually work very well though.

Unless you find feedback to the contrary at that price it's probably worth buying one on spec, especially if you have lots of stones to play with. :D
Equinox 800 x2

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:31 am

I've had a £30 one for about five years and it works fine. If you have a lot of stones to check may be worth buying one. Similar to mine on amazon at about £27.99. Very easy to use.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

edge1255

Post by edge1255 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:24 pm

I've just ordered one of the cheapo testers, so I'll let you know how it goes. If anybody would like to donate some large diamonds to me to try it out please don't hesitate.... ::g
Minelab Excalibur II
Makro Multi Kruzer

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:24 pm

take your stones to any jeweller and they will check them for free ::g
lots of MD related stuff ;))

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm

And all these years I thought all you needed was a piece of glass !

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

If only! :) Window glass generally has a hardness of 5 on the Moh's hardness scale, so anything over that will scratch it. eg. any of the quarts family.

Shaz

Post by Shaz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:30 pm

A few things to watch out for with diamond testers. The little probe measures the thermal conductivity of the stone you are testing (how quickly the stone takes away the heat from the tip). In freezing conditions stones like white sapphires/rubies could register as diamond. Likewise on a very hot day, it may not register a diamond as diamond.

Try and hold tip at right angle to the stone surface and press slightly, avoid touching the metal.
Happy testing.

Iced Tiger

Post by Iced Tiger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:16 pm

I bought one a while back, seems to work well on the jewelry we already had.
Primary, Equinox 800 (still learning) ):=
Secondary, SWMBO with her Go-Find 60
Or should that be reversed. ;))
Thirdly, X-Terra 705

bigbeepbeep

Post by bigbeepbeep » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:24 am

I bought one of those electronic testers very cheaply. It seems to work. *It's all about the speed of reaction rather than whether or not the led's light up; I'd use it in conjunction with the variety of other free tests you can use eg. scratching lines into glass, and the more discerning graphite pencil mark light-bending test is often used by jewellers to identify DIAMOND; Checking through a loupe for imperfections (invariably absent in fake gems) is another Test. Today Im still 100% certain that the bangle I found on my 3rd day out with my Fisher F2 ARE genuine diamonds as they were set in secure individual mountings, NOT glued in as the Jeweller wrongly claimed(!) They were silvered at the back *which is what they used to do with old jewellery as solid bangles don't let light through like a ring does*, the stones weren't size matched (another giveawy of fakery) nor were they perfectly matched in colour, ditto. Jewellers will not always tell you the correct answer at all, the guy I took my 48 stones to didn't even use a loupe to inspect them he just said "they're not real" because the backs were silvered. The bangle was found deeply buried under a 100_yr old tree in a forest, it took 5hrs to excavate it. See a Gemologist who will likely also assess them for free and be faar more likely to give you a correct answer. If you woant a certificate confirming authenticity you'll have to pay for that.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:36 pm

bigbeepbeep wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:24 am
The bangle was found deeply buried under a 100_yr old tree in a forest, it took 5hrs to excavate it.
Wow that's some going, imagine the disappointment if it was just a bit of scrap. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:47 am

fred

Post by fred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:08 am

That is a well written and very informative article on diamond testing. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

fred

Post by fred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:10 am

bigbeepbeep wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:24 am
I bought one of those electronic testers very cheaply. It seems to work. *It's all about the speed of reaction rather than whether or not the led's light up; I'd use it in conjunction with the variety of other free tests you can use eg. scratching lines into glass, and the more discerning graphite pencil mark light-bending test is often used by jewellers to identify DIAMOND; Checking through a loupe for imperfections (invariably absent in fake gems) is another Test. Today Im still 100% certain that the bangle I found on my 3rd day out with my Fisher F2 ARE genuine diamonds as they were set in secure individual mountings, NOT glued in as the Jeweller wrongly claimed(!) They were silvered at the back *which is what they used to do with old jewellery as solid bangles don't let light through like a ring does*, the stones weren't size matched (another giveawy of fakery) nor were they perfectly matched in colour, ditto. Jewellers will not always tell you the correct answer at all, the guy I took my 48 stones to didn't even use a loupe to inspect them he just said "they're not real" because the backs were silvered. The bangle was found deeply buried under a 100_yr old tree in a forest, it took 5hrs to excavate it. See a Gemologist who will likely also assess them for free and be faar more likely to give you a correct answer. If you woant a certificate confirming authenticity you'll have to pay for that.
What was the bangle made of? :-/
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Other accessories”