USB Microscope

Please feel free to post topics about all other metal detecting accessories here.
MDF Auction - Other Metal Detecting Accessories
norfolkbill

USB Microscope

Post by norfolkbill » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:59 am

Can anyone recommend a USB microscope that will work and take pictures on a mac computer .The ones i look at seem to only work with windows ,or with a mac won't save pictures .Trying to get one for identification and pictures ,can't afford expensive below £40 would be good.

pakeha

Re: USB Microscope

Post by pakeha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:06 am

I have a usb microscope which I bought from Maplins some years ago ,it's called " Microcapture "not sure if it's compatible with ac but works great with my windows system,mislaid the accompanying literature,anyway good luck on your quest. p.s as I recall cost about £35

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:13 am

I use the Microcapture USB microscope on a MacBook, it works fine taking videos but does error sometimes when taking photos. Really pleased with the results. It is an excellent resource for examining coins and bits close up on screen, often reveling dates and details that a normal magnifying glass or jeweler's loop would not.

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Thank you both ,its the problem with owning a Mac ,some say they work on mac but don't capture a picture ,funny i got in touch with Maplin who wouldn't commit themselves on picture capture with a mac .Can get what i want for around £200 but not got that sort of money to spend .Thanks for the help.

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:02 pm

PM sent.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Any webcams were you can screw the lens out can be turned into a microscope
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/22600308

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi Bill, below are a couple of shots of a sixpence, taken straight on to macbook pro with the software supplied with microscope, no enhancing and the light is supplied by the ring of 8 led lights that are situated around the lens. lighting and magnifying can be adjusted.
Hope this is helpful
JCImageImage

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 pm

theres this one for the mac,

http://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-200x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which to me looks no different than this but using the mac driver that can be downloaded from the first link ;) don't really see why it wouldn't work

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neil.
Just using the Force Image

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Koala wrote:Any webcams were you can screw the lens out can be turned into a microscope
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/22600308
That is something i didn't know,thanks

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:27 pm

They are lovely clear pictures John ,you say yours came from Maplins ,they didn't say they wouldn't work but didn't say they would but that looks promising thanks.

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:29 pm

THE MOLE wrote:theres this one for the mac,

http://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-200x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which to me looks no different than this but using the mac driver that can be downloaded from the first link ;) don't really see why it wouldn't work

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neil.
When you go on there auction sites they don't have any ,don't seem to sell direct ,will keep looking see if i can find them thank you.

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm

JamieET wrote:On a certain online auction site, there's a Plugable USB microscope with stand that is listed as being compatible with Mac for £42.53 including postage.
Yes i have been looking at them but some of the Chinese ones for mac say won't capture picture ,with it being there new year can't get any answers back to a question either so stuck at mo .Thanks for looking.

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:19 pm

JamieET wrote:
norfolkbill wrote:
JamieET wrote:On a certain online auction site, there's a Plugable USB microscope with stand that is listed as being compatible with Mac for £42.53 including postage.
Yes i have been looking at them but some of the Chinese ones for mac say won't capture picture ,with it being there new year can't get any answers back to a question either so stuck at mo .Thanks for looking.
The one at 42.53 is the Pluggable one mentioned in the previous link though. Isn't it just the Maplin ones that struggle with stills?
If you read the description of some of the chinese sellers ,although they are mac compatible they say won't capture picture .I have just bought the Veho vms-001 which has 20 and 200 magnification and will work with mac sells at £49 just found them £21 inc delivery ,will let you all know how i get on .Thanks all for the help .

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Got the Veho usb microscope today and with photo booth on mac computer works fine ,no download ,problem i have everything is in mirror image i.e. back to front ,will have to do some research find out the problem or maybe need to download software from Veho site ,but takes pictures ok using the on screen camera.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:41 pm

try this matey ;)

http://www.macworld.com/article/1133088 ... ipped.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neil.
Just using the Force Image

Return to “Other accessories”