handheld detector

Please feel free to post topics about all other metal detecting accessories here.
MDF Auction - Other Metal Detecting Accessories
ssimo

handheld detector

Post by ssimo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum. Forgive me for my possibly unorthodox writing style but i'm italian and i'm used to speak american english more than british english. Anyway, i'm looking for an handheld detector, i wouldn't use it as a pointer (it wouldn't be its primary function), i'd use it to search ww1 relics in the alps when i take a break from the hike (it has to be light and compact). Recovering war relics is completely legal in Italy, as long as you do not dig into the terrain and as long as you declare to authorities if you find live ammunitions/grenades/firearms or corpses. I know it is an unusual way to use a metal detector, but this is what i'm looking for. now some questions:

1)do you know any detector wich could serve me well? (maximum depth needed 3-4 inches).
2)the garrett propointer at would be usable for such a work or is the captation too much directioned towards the point of the detector for a general ground scanning?

thank you everyone, Simone.

Wansdyke44

Re: handheld detector

Post by Wansdyke44 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Simone,
Not sure about handheld, but the XP Deus is certainly light and compact.

W [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

ssimo

Post by ssimo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:54 pm

thanks for the answer! do you think the garrett propoint at could fit the role?

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:00 pm

I can't imaging searching at all with just a pinpointer but if you must then a Scuba tector may cover the ground a bit better. A Deus would be vastly more efficient for ground coverage with the 11" coil. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

ssimo

Post by ssimo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 am

i fully understand yor concerns. in the places where i am going to scan, in the ground there are way more targets than you can check, lot of bullets/shrapnes/spent cases/metal fragments everywhere..
having a small detector will be very prolific in any case, with the big advantage of being small, light and easy to use on steep terrain on the side of the trail!

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Something like a Fisher F2 or Garrett ACE150/250, with a small coil (Fisher have a cheap 10cm concentric) and custom-make your own shaft assembly. Use a single earpiece, so you don't have the bulk/weight of headphones.
:(

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 pm

I use a old Tesoro Compadre on a cut down shaft with a small 4'' coil on,works a treat,although i can mount the control and coil on a full length shaft,its mainly on the short hand held and used as a pinpointer when using my Pulse machines on deep pasture sites.By using a VLF machine with a very small coil it offers full discrimination and only about 15'' long so can be carried around with you.

Works very well,of course it not my everyday pinpointer as its a specific use one.

ssimo

Post by ssimo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm

thank you for the suggestions, guys. I'm looking for something smaller, anyway: something i can keep in a holster or in my pockets, so i can use it while climbing/hiking in difficult places (pin pointer size)! ww1 italian front is really different from the occidental one

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 pm

ssimo wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm
thank you for the suggestions, guys. I'm looking for something smaller, anyway: something i can keep in a holster or in my pockets, so i can use it while climbing/hiking in difficult places (pin pointer size)! ww1 italian front is really different from the occidental one
Not an expert in hand held detectors but the "The garret CSI pro pointer" or "Garret superwand" or "Garret THD Tactical Hand Held Metal Detector" seem like they could be used for what you want, there is also a few hand models for detecting metal in lumber (wood) that detect over 6 inches and also might work.

Lumber wizard 3 or 4

hope this helps a little & good luck ::g
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

ssimo

Post by ssimo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 pm

wow, i'll consider your suggestion. thank you very much ;)

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Check out the Detector Pro Pistol Probe Metal Detector. It's supposed to be the most powerful pinpointer depth wise. ::g
1219-25025_1f.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Your future adventure sounds very fascinating.
Look forward to seeing some of your finds on here in the future.
Good Luck ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 pm

The security wand suggestion is definitely worth considering. The large coil they have gives them more range than you might expect. They can be hacked easily, too: reshape the coil, change the housing/case. Even the really cheap ones ( under 15 Pounds) seem to actually work OK, based on things I've read ... though I've no personal experience.
:(

geomorphicmat

Post by geomorphicmat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 am

Ciao Simone, benvenuto al forum. Sono inglese, ma parlo abastanza bene italiano. Per la maggioranza, continuo nella mia lingua.

Simone, although it doesn't fit in your pocket, i would go for the Quest/Deteknix Scuba Tector.
Light weight, compact and sensitive with good coverage.
When you are not in the Alps and on the beach it's also great fun to snorkel around with this detector!

Happy hunting.
CTX3030
Profind 25

Return to “Other accessories”