Garret ace 400i

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
mrcheeky

Garret ace 400i

Post by mrcheeky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 pm

hi all Noobie here from south London been looking to get a half decent detector for myself so after scouring a few places online made a decision to go for the garret ace 400i. ill be picking it up satuerday and do some detecting on sun . Im like a lil boy excited with santa coming i cant wait.i had an ace 250 3 yrs ago but stopped detecting for no reason.and since ive come on this site n you tube he bugs come back . anyway im naggging .if i get anything ill keep yer posted.good luck everyone

thefiggis

Re: garret ace 400i

Post by thefiggis » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:13 am

What ho.

The 400i was also my choice and one I've not regretted. It's simple to use and at 10mhz the standard 11" DD coil punches quite deep. A great starter machine and I'm sure you'll be successful with it.

Good luck.
John

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 am

They've not been out long so there won't be many on the forum who've tried this model is suspect. it's a Garrett though so you can't go far wrong as they are well made, reliable and do the job. Good luck and look forward to seeing the fruits of your first detecting session ::g
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Thank you so much ill be ordering it online tommrow from regtons http://regton.com/garrett-ace-400i-metal-detector.html i think there a pretty reputable place to order from . i think ive seen em on here to

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Mention MDF and you should get a discount. Think Crawford (who sponsor this forum) offer one too. Good luck ::g
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm

hiya all thank you got me ace 400i coming in the morning so ill be out haveing a lil mouch around .ill let you know if anything goood pops u p thanks all ..dulwich south london if anyones local n fancys a beer n a wonder :) btw ty hun ..got it from regton guys are awsome there

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Good luck with the 400i, I have one and enjoy using it. I added a Nel Tornado to it but a mate has one and he got the Nel Hunter. He says it's a fantastic coil for the 400i. He's had loads of detectors over the years, and he's impressed with the 400i.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Garrett 400i + Nel Tornado coil

Jedi Master button finder

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Just a heads up that our very own MDF Shop does a reasonable deal on the Garrett ACE 400i that comes with extras and Free UK delivery ::g Direct link here - Garrett ACE 400i

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 pm

I went from an ace 150. excellent. to a makro racer, and quite frankly didn't get on with it. and have since bought a 400i, and i cant recommend it enough. i wont be buying anything else in a hurry. very good with decent features and excellent pedigree. the chap i bought it from even said that it found a hammered on ground where the dues had been immediately before. (cue the deus owners :)) ). it has since found a few bits and pieces, including some coins at good depth. the best thing is the adjustable frequencies, had a lawn tractor nearby and it was playing havoc. but quick adjust and all was quite again.the only downside is no volume control on the machine. i know most headphones have them but sometimes i like to go without and this thing can be heard in the next village, lol.
everyone says "good starter machine" but its SO much more than that.
happy hunting my friend and like every machine, bury stuff in your garden and GET USED TO IT. before you're out swearing in a field. youll hear this a lot and you may think stuff that im off, but it really is very good advice. and it makes the wife stare out the window in pure disbelief.
garret 400i "old faithfull" ::g
Quest Q40, The "coin hoover" awesome machine. ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

thefiggis

Re: Garret ace 400i

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Have to agree with Dreadnought regarding the bird-startling volume, but I get around that with some gaffer tape over the speaker when not using headphones.

It's a highly versatile machine and will tell you about targets both deep, tiny, and sometimes a combination of the two.

Do let us know how you get on with it.
John

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 pm

The lack of volume is often commented on, but personally I find the easy stow headphones that come with the 400i to be excellent. Garrett are not daft, those headphones are very good quality.
Xp Deus 11" coil

smudgertoo

Post by smudgertoo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 pm

I've had the 400i for just on six months now and have to say it's a very good machine for the money, I'm still running it on the factory coil and it has found me roman coins, medieval jettons and hammered coins and a host of other stuff, some good some only worthy of the hedge lol.
Put it in no discrimination mode (all metals) and notch out the first four bars and away you go. Once you get a good signal just push the iron audio on and it will give you a good idea if it's worth digging or not but to begin with dig everthing that gives a good bell tone :)

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:20 pm

I will just add that I'm renaming mine "the coin hoover" every outing gets at least one coin. Very underated machine.
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:11 pm

smudgertoo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 pm
I've had the 400i for just on six months now and have to say it's a very good machine for the money, I'm still running it on the factory coil and it has found me roman coins, medieval jettons and hammered coins and a host of other stuff, some good some only worthy of the hedge lol.
Put it in no discrimination mode (all metals) and notch out the first four bars and away you go. Once you get a good signal just push the iron audio on and it will give you a good idea if it's worth digging or not but to begin with dig everthing that gives a good bell tone :)
Very interesting. I had quite a few good targets that crackled with iron audio, especially if they had a bit of depth, so I never use it now. I tend to wonder if it's more for coin shooting and identifying bottle tops, like the USA Garrett video suggests. I always worry that if there's 2 way high tone it could be something good, and often it has been. The other night I was running all metal, my favourite, and I had a good tone but it was jumpy with some iron cutting in. I dug a pasture plug and flipped it over. Because the target was nearer the surface it was now further from the coil as I waved over the upturned earth, pure iron tone. It was high conductor. I had the same thing happen quite a few times through the evening, has anyone else had this experience in all metal?
Xp Deus 11" coil

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:39 am

Can't say as I've had the exact same experience as you, Max, as I rarely use all-metal. However, I usually check a promising signal with the iron audio. If it's honking away at me I'll move on, but if it's only a slight scratchy edge to the tone I'll allow for ground mineralisation or nearby iron and dig it. Yup, it's often a bottle top but sometimes it isn't.

I'll switch to all-metal next time I flip a plug to see if I get the same response as you.
John

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:39 am
Can't say as I've had the exact same experience as you, Max, as I rarely use all-metal. However, I usually check a promising signal with the iron audio. If it's honking away at me I'll move on, but if it's only a slight scratchy edge to the tone I'll allow for ground mineralisation or nearby iron and dig it. Yup, it's often a bottle top but sometimes it isn't.

I'll switch to all-metal next time I flip a plug to see if I get the same response as you.
i agree with figgis, slight scratchy iron audio either side of the main tone and its worth digging. every Georgian coin ive had has had this tone. its purely experience, lots of iron audio and i leave it.
get your custom setting right and you will really get the most from the 400.

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi All,
I am new to metal detecting and I have had my 400i a couple of weeks now, and love it.

I have been out several times, and over those times I have found a gold ring, modern money, and some old money like George ii, and others, along side several relics, don't get me wrong I have dug loads of junk, but it's all part of the excitement I think.

I agree about the volume control on the device itself which it lacks, but I find by putting the headphones in and just sit them round my neck works too.

I'm looking forward to the at max. Got a bit of saving to do first though. ..
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Home made Sand scoop, aluminium sand scoop
NCMD Registered member

Appointed First Aider - QA level2

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm

thefiggis wrote:

I have also had bottle tops, ring pulls and fag box(foils) that have not given any grunt or crackle, I thought I was onto a winner but was very disappointed haha.

I usually follow a saying a have read on here - from central searchers I think, - - if in doubt, dig it out!!
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Home made Sand scoop, aluminium sand scoop
NCMD Registered member

Appointed First Aider - QA level2

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:32 pm

dreadnought wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 pm
thefiggis wrote:

i agree with figgis, slight scratchy iron audio either side of the main tone and its worth digging. every Georgian coin ive had has had this tone. its purely experience, lots of iron audio and i leave it.
get your custom setting right and you will really get the most from the 400.

Without a doubt in my mind the iron audio is only an indicator. I have had many good targets with a crackle. I would only use it to confirm certain iron, and if there is any good tone it's coming out. This is one of the reasons I tend to run all metal most of the time and rarely bother with iron audio. This also tells me if the area is heavy iron as I am hearing everything.
Xp Deus 11" coil

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:26 am

To illustrate the point, I had a scratchy 67 signal, complete with iron grunt. Got to be foil, right? But there was something about the tone which said "dig me", so I did and this popped out:
Saxon brooch.jpg
As you can see, there is some ferrous encrustation on it so the machine wasn't telling porkies. As Max says, iron audio is an indicator and once you've got to know your machine you'll develop an instinct over what to dig when the crackle cuts in.

On the subject of numbers, 90 for me is invariably tin can territory but has to be dug, usually with the thought "why am I wasting my time here?" But be aware there are some highly conductive old coppers out there and on the same day as above a 90 signal turned out to be a late 17th century Scottish sixpence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”