Minelab Sovereign GT Review

Please post your personal metal detecting review here for the Minlabe brand of metal detectors.
stephenbeetleman

Minelab Sovereign GT Review

Post by stephenbeetleman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey Folks,

I’ve had my Minelab Sovereign GT for about 3 months now so I’m going to share with you my experiences on owning it so far. Hopefully this will help any of guys that are thinking of purchasing one make the right decision based on your needs. I primarily bought the Sovereign GT as they are renowned for being a good beach machine and that is were I do most of my searching. They are said to be good on pasture too and in any of the searches in this environment I have done so far it certainly hasn’t disappointed me. On the beach I have definitely pulled pound coins at 12 inches plus and in pasture I have had similar depths with Georgian pennies I picked up with it. As the Sovereign is multifrequency it is good in wet and dry sand too offering good depth without a reduction in sensitivity.

The sovereign is all about learning the tones ... iron nulls then returns with a buzz type threshold, the machine sings high tones for coins, medium for silver and gold and the lows for finer band rings and the foil. In any of the cases I have found foil to date it has had a bouncy pitch in the signal with fluctuation up and down as you sweep from side to side across the target. I leave the disc turned off and judge each signal on its own sounds.

To help with target ID I purchased an American made Sunray DTI 2 meter which complements it quite well. It’s calibrated to 180. To set it I simply adjust its calibration screw so that a pound coin or similar reads at 180. Everything else comes in below this then. Foil comes in at 80-110 but the numeric reading jumps around a lot more than on a good target where the number will lock to within 3 digits. Fine to thick gold bands come in at 85- 140 respectively. Pull tabs are in or around 148. Silver coins I have had between 115-135.

My sovereign doesn’t like coppers made after 1988. Apparently the copper content changed after this year in the coins with the result that it will give just an odd blurp when passing them one way but it will then stay silent unless I want to go ahead and pick them up in all metal mode. Anything from a 5p and up is fine though! It also does the same with most bottle tops which is handy.

It still picks up on aluminum cans but the signal is often bigger than coins and as you get closer to them the signal spits and breaks up. Pull tabs can still be a bit of a problem but I don’t ignore them as there is always a chance it could be a gold ring! The reason I went for the sovereign is because it is very easy to setup with only a few controls and it’s a real boot and braces machine that when setup correctly will perform well in most places.

The settings that I use for my machine are as follows:

Volume
Maximum

Sensitivity
12 o clock position, as high as 10 o clock position should ground conditions allow

Threshold
Just Audible in Threshold mode

Noise Cancel
Band 1

Discrimination
Off

Notch
Off

Iron Mask
On (Disc Mode)

Fixed ground mode set.

To achieve the best results with the above settings set in All Metal mode first, set ground mode to track, pump the coil to stabilise threshold then switch it over to fixed. I also found that when running the Sovereign GT at a high sensitivity it would quite often on the beach pick up on items just outside of my sweep. When I backtracked to investigate them they would always turn out to be good targets that I otherwise would have missed. This was very useful as it obviously meant I didn’t miss as much good stuff when searching!

Disadvantages of the Sovereign GT are its recovery speed and weight. The recovery speed is quite alot slower in more iron infested sites in comparison to something like an XP Goldmaxx Power but it all comes down to which sites you most favour for detecting. To compensate, where I hear the machine null a lot on iron, I sweep the coil as slow as I can and listen for the faint whispers or blurps at the end of nulling which helps. If I find something interesting I narrow my sweep to avoid the iron, give the machine a chance to pull out the good signal, then dig!

In comparison to the C Scope R1 I have used before, the Sovereign GT is quite heavy but I hope to get a bungee harness shortly which will help me with this problem. Belt mounting the control box is also another option. All Sovereign GT machines released on the UK market come with an S shape stem which can wear your arm out quicker whereas the American market have straight stems with the control box put to the back to balance it better. It is possible to change stems should the user choose to do this. Sorry to bang on a bit in this review but I’ve included info I think will help anyone make an informed decision before purchasing. Any questions I’d be only to glad to help so send me a PM. [:)

Cheers

Stephen

Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

Return to “Minelab Metal Detector Reviews”