XP Deus initial Review

Please post your personal metal detecting review here for the XP brand of metal detectors.
Hampshire Hound

XP Deus initial Review

Post by Hampshire Hound » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Here are my initial thoughts of the Dues. Let’s start from the very beginning.

When the detector arrived I rushed in and unpacked it, plugged the 3 way charger in and charged the coil control box and headphones until they all registered full. In the mean time I took the time to study the manual and learn what I could about the various features and modes of operation.
Being used to the goldmaxx power for the last few years I suddenly found myself a little overwhelmed with all the terms and options offered by the Deus system, before I decided to buy I had read many reviews and talked to current owners on the forums, they had often spoke of things such as reactivity settings, tone settings and tx power and until it actually arrived I had not given it much thought. This was going to be a long learning curve! :(

Once assembled I stood for a while and looked at my new detector, the first thing that popped in to my head was “this looks like a kids toy” it looked very flimsy and it was very light! Well like many others I could not wait to try this thing out, so I reached for my pocket and pulled out the bit of paper with some custom programs I had pinched from various sites and forums deleted the “pitch” program and put my own one in, I also deleted custom 1 and 2 to enable me to put further custom programs in and saved them I think 2 were 18khz programs and one was an 8khz.

Off the field I went! It was a ploughed field that I knew had produced a lot of Georgian finds in the past and was fairly worked out, the ground balance number stayed at 90 with no mineralisation so I cracked on and did a random pattern over the field, just going with the flow. After ten minutes of finding nothing much I decided to change to a different custom program, this time it was a two tone program and again nothing much, to be honest I was getting a little frustrated so I thought maybe I should up the sensitivity to try and get a little more power, this made it a lot more sparky and very lively but after twenty min’s I had dug lots of small bits and bobs close to the surface and the tones were not making sense to me and nor were the numbers it just felt so different to what I was used to and I was losing faith so called it a day!.

Next trip out was my weekend break to Devon, it was a small wooden fishing lodge by the side of some lakes, I took the Deus as I always do when I go away and upon arrival asked for permission to detect, the owner gave me permission to go around the lakes and footpaths but not in the fields as his cows were in there and he did not want me in with them. I had some more time to read the manual and a few more reviews and also some time to sit quiet with some targets to try and suss out the tones. I decided to start again and set everything back to factory settings, from the information I had gathered I decided as this was going to have lots of junk and iron I would just stick with Deus fast and change nothing ells, so I tested all that I could on the table by waving targets over the coil and at last some familiar tones!

I compiled in my head groups of targets and this helped when I got outside. I started swinging and the thing came alive, it was picking up the smallest targets from between the iron, I am talking tiny lead shot at 4 inches down! :D
I went on that day to find a whole range of modern coins fishing weights and a silver sixpence, my confidence was growing!
My next major outing was a SDG club dig at a roman site, this was very different from Devon and it was rotted stubble with quite a lot of mineralisation, this was indicated by the bar on the right hand side of the screen being three quarters full and the GB number in the top right reading 75 as a pose to 90. This meant I needed to Ground Balance the Deus, This time out I decided to try the GMP mode and switch to Deus fast if things got very busy.

To ground balance the detector I decided to go with pumping, so I pressed GB button (top right) and selected pumping, pressed ok and followed the instructions pumping the coil up and down away from the ground until it said it was ok. The Dues had now set the number in the bottom right to match the number in the top right, which shows the actual ground reading as you walk along, so off I went. I spent most the morning digging small bits and bobs, a few buttons and lead, I found the detector to be very lively and sounding off lots nearly every sweep, it seemed to be picking out tiny things that I could not find when I dug as they were so small, also I dug some hot rocks and coke, some iron seemed to be a challenge too, I remembered from testing that the G-maxx program was good for iron identification so when I had iffy loud signal that sounded like a good tone but with a whisper of iron tone I switched to G-maxx and tried it again, I checked at 90 degrees and with the very front edge of the coil every time this told me to dig or not to dig, if in doubt dig it out! You can also try dry beach as this will suss out large coke!

After lunch, for some reason decided to try the basic 1 setting. Again I set off and ground balanced, the same old story lots of small signals and hot rocks, I was unhappy with the ground numbers as the pre-set was 90 and 73 was quite a way off, I know that was equal to the ground that day but I decided to go for 80 which was in between the two, immediately the Deus calmed down it was quiet and only sounding on good targets, I found a large roman coin on the edge of the iron so decided to work this patch, I switched to Deus fast when it got heavy and found another coin, both were over 8 inches deep and all signals were clear and precise.
The heavens opened so I called it a day! Some valuable lessons learned that day, stick to factory pre-sets as they work well. Always add a few numbers on to the ground reading when you are a beginner it helps to stabilise the detector and check iffy signals with G-maxx or dry beach at 90 degrees and with the front edge of the coil.

The detector comes to bits easily to enable you to clean it, I find it ok with the large coil but maybe a straight shaft would balance it better for a long days detecting, the control box I found was best in a waterproof pouch designed for an ipod touch the one supplied is a little awkward to change settings as the plastic is very stiff, it also does not protect it if it is raining all day, I also found that when mounted to the shaft I knocked the control box out of its slip as I bent to dig or use my pin point probe which incidentally drives the Deus mad in the 18khz setting (garratt pin pint probe).

All in all this is a very precise versatile detector, the more you use it the more you can make the most of the different features. I would not part with my Deus and now have every confidence to take it on any ground.
My help guide for beginners is on the forum this lists all the things I found useful when learning the Deus, and I hope it may help some of you to get confident with your Deus when starting out, please feel to download it.

The link is here: Deus/DeusNewUser.pdf

Thanks Hampshire Hound ;)

SDG Southern Detectorists Group
Xp Deus
Minelab Sovereign XS2 Pro
Minelab Sovereign Ellete
Garret Pro pinpointer
Detector pro P.I. Probe

Return to “XP Metal Detector Reviews”