Viking VK30 Review

Please post your personal metal detecting review here for the Viking brand of metal detectors.
Rover45

Viking VK30 Review

Post by Rover45 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi.I have owned metal detectors for many years starting with a very basic C Scope swan handled motion detector with no discrimination if I remember correctly. After this I bought a second hand C Scope CS4ZX motion/non motion detector which I had for many years and was a fine detector.I thought I would have a change so after much internet searching decided on a Viking VK30 motion/non motion detector as I didn't want to spend lots of money and prefer something easy to operate.It arrived at Christmas and I did some air testing which showed decent depth on modern coins and some of my old finds .I tried a bit of rusty iron with it and just needed to turn the discrimination up to 26 to eliminate the signal completely which is good.On my C Scope i had the discrimination set to 3 and if i had no signal for a while,would pass the detector over my spade to get a beep to make sure it was still working! I did that with the VK30 and nothing happened as the iron discrimination set at 28 completely ignored it! I had to put a 2p piece down if i wanted to check the signal.So absolutely excellent iron discrimination on this :-) I went out to my favourite ploughed field,set the sensitivity to about 75 and discrimination to 28 and spent about an hour and a half searching.I was very pleased to find a musket ball in the first 10 minutes and various bits of lead and other small items in that time.I found more than I usually do and a couple of large bits of iron which I was going to ignore but thought I'd dig anyway until I get used to the sounds of the machine. Good items beeped whichever way the head was passed over where as the big iron just seemed to beep once so discrimination seems great.the items I dug were showing between 45-90 on the display so the higher the number the less likely it is to be rusty iron.So very pleased with the performance so far in motion mode.the pinpoint button is accurate.I will post more updates once I've done a bit dry beach detecting and grass field detecting ::g below is a pic of my finds fro first time out.The 10p piece is just for size comparison and the musket ball is the white circle to its left!
viking vk30.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rover45

Re: Viking VK30 Review

Post by Rover45 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:03 pm

GRASS FIELD..... Took the VK30 to a grass field today for a practice and it worked well. Unfortunately their is a lot of coke/coal in the fields here which tends to cause a bit falsing. I set the sensitivity to 80 and discrimination to 28 which great for ignoring rusty iron.The field I was in did give a bit falsing on my old detector and I did have some today.it shows up on the Viking by it just making a single beep,so easy enough to ignore and carry on.Double beep is obviously worth digging :) I also tried it out in Non Motion mode which is all metal and this stopped all the falsing from the coke/coal.Any signal it gives can be checked by looking at the display panel and if its showing more than 40 its worth digging,or a couple of times I changed it back to motion mode with the discrimination on and if it passes over silently then its not worth digging.I did dig a couple of times when it did this just to check and each time it was just rusty iron.I didn't find much worthwhile today but its not the most productive of fields at the best of times.So top marks for the Viking today for showing it can cope well with coke/coal simply by using non motion mode.next stop the beach!

Return to “Viking Metal Detector Reviews”