Vallon vmh3cs ex mine detector

Please post your personal metal detecting review here for the all other brands of metal detectors.
Barbossa76

Vallon vmh3cs ex mine detector

Post by Barbossa76 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Here is a quick review on these vallon vmh3cs military metal detector . They are definetley rain proof , very solidly made being military, i have only used mine on land so far, i used mine on long wet grass field, where my ace had been going bananas with the wet grass brushing the coil, with sensitivity on its lowest setting this vallon is as deep as some of the well known brands of vlf, very easy to use with manual ground balance, auto ground balance, normal and mineral mode, interchangeable coils available, along with military vallon headphones.
They come with a military back pack which the detector fits in perfectly, no cable hanging off shaft to worry about either, it sits inside shaft, i over tightened one of the cam locks which is something to watch out for, but the whole thing is unbelievably well made. Its great on coins relics and so on.
And runs for ages on three D cell batterys, (im buying rechargables to see how well it does on those) apparentley holding down certain buttons gives surf mode and land mode. Pinpoint is great too, it can be proggramed via a data cable on a laptop or home computer as well, its unbelievably deep when sensitivity is cranked up, being a p.i. machine. At £140 pound delivered, i cant see this being beaten, i bought another one this morning! Hope this review is of use to someone

Ferrett

Re: Vallon vmh3cs ex mine detector

Post by Ferrett » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Been looking at the Vallon for a while it looks very sturdy ,if you try it in the wet sand let us know how it performs,
as I mainly do beach's these days , thanks for the review ,

Jonogroats

Post by Jonogroats » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:30 pm

I nearly brought one before I brought my 4pi as I’d watched a few vids of guys using them on beaches on YouTube. The only reason I didn’t get one was the fact you obviously get no warranty with it and if it gave up the ghost straight away I’d of been £150 out of pocket. I probably would get one though if my 4pi dies

Ferrett

Post by Ferrett » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Jonogroats wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:30 pm
I nearly brought one before I brought my 4pi as I’d watched a few vids of guys using them on beaches on YouTube. The only reason I didn’t get one was the fact you obviously get no warranty with it and if it gave up the ghost straight away I’d of been £150 out of pocket. I probably would get one though if my 4pi dies
I agree having no warranty and also not being able to use standard headphone put me off a bit ,,,

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:09 pm

I can see why people would be put off by the quality but consider this this was a mine detector if it failed you wouldnt .miss a coin or waste money youd be killed, so they were made with someones life in mind, so you can imadgine the build quality, .mines and explosives sometimes are made from plastic with minimum metal quality so small coins and jewellery are easy, some of the vids on you tube show them to be deep and sensitive on wet sand although i cant coment on that personaly, honestly cant recomend it enough i hope yous give it a go, i live close to beach so will be giving it a try there at one point, it has excelled on land so far!

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Ps i meant put off by warranty not quality the quality is probaly unbeatable!

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:19 pm

hello, what is the weight of these X Army detectors ? interesting that there are so many for sale when there are still 1000s of land mines still buried in certain countries

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello garrettoldboy they are a bit heavy, probaly a pound or two more than my old minelab sov
As for why their being sold,
The army wont send away for repairing that i suppose even a detector slipping off your arm is enough to get someone killed i a minefield, and i suppose its like a old army surplus truck or jeep their sold because the army consider them to old for warfare or theres a defect that could cost a life but because of the superiour build quality theyd last for years n years to come under civilian use, i think they based the garrett atx on the vallon i cant see military equiptment being based on hobby stuff, but i can see someone basing a new model as close to military grade as they can get,

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Barbossa76 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:55 pm
Hello garrettoldboy they are a bit heavy, probaly a pound or two more than my old minelab sov
As for why their being sold,
The army wont send away for repairing that i suppose even a detector slipping off your arm is enough to get someone killed i a minefield, and i suppose its like a old army surplus truck or jeep their sold because the army consider them to old for warfare or theres a defect that could cost a life but because of the superiour build quality theyd last for years n years to come under civilian use, i think they based the garrett atx on the vallon i cant see military equiptment being based on hobby stuff, but i can see someone basing a new model as close to military grade as they can get,
thanks
Last edited by garrettoldboy on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:21 pm

For the price they go for , I'm sure if beach detecting is your thing and you can get there often enough, it will pay for itself within no time,.

mikee657

Post by mikee657 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm

I have just bought one mainly for beach detecting. I am just getting back to detecting after a long lay off and by all accounts it takes a bit of getting use to but works a treat. There are a few older threads on Vallons on the forum if you have a search around. Will be off to do a run along the coast next week and will post an update on how I get on. ::g

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello mikee667 im loving the vallon got two of them ive been on land the whole time with mine its great, had couple of learning issues with mine and a forum member kindly helped out im a all metal dig it all detectorist any way, so its main machine i keep sensitivity low when i just want to dig shallow 6/8" targets turning it up turns it into a power house, just bought a cammo control box cover for it , didnt really need it because its weather resistant and built like tank but it does make it look smart, hope you have some great finds with yours

Cool3water

Post by Cool3water » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 am

Hi guys i have jumpped right in with out research and gone and got a Vallon
The vallon seems really good and was recomended by a military mate
I am using it on the beach wet sand and dry and seem to be finding little bits . But
My learning is slow as i find myself digging massive holes and sand piling in on itself.
Do i stick with the vallon ?
Or do i go buy another detector and start again .
I acualy like the looks and feel on this machine and i think i have seen every video and article written
On the vallon but nothing ecplains the machine
I have down loaded the manual but it contradicts its self
Thanks for adding me to this forum its brilliant for in formation as learned alot so far about the vallon
On here any information would be awsome guys
Cool3water

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:56 pm

How high have you got the sensitivity mate, too high and it will punch down deep all depends on where on beach you are as well

Cool3water

Post by Cool3water » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:07 pm

I am on port talbot beach amd have used in both wet sand hard sand and soft sand
My settings i been putting on about 6 and half to 7
Today i gonna try 3 and half .
See how i go
Thanks for feed back

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:27 pm

No worries hope u get some good finds itll probaly get 6 inches on its lowest setting if th
ats any help,

Cool3water

Post by Cool3water » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Had it on one and went on to wet sand had a load of finds includong fishing swivell and a copper strip loads of iron ore and nails . And the deapth was about two to three foot down . So happy with this machine other than there is no descrimination other than that its a good one and good to go
Ha kyou

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:43 pm

I know what u mean i havnt seen depth like it, theres a bigger coil that can be bought from vallon, but i dont think its even needed, theres even a probe attatchment that fits on so can search in hedges or hard to get places, a data cable so it can be upgraded, not bad for 130 quid ::g

Cool3water

Post by Cool3water » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 pm

Yeah i want bother witb any attachments i have used this 4 times and since turning
Signal right diwn to 1 i have had better luck going to practice the bleeps now the signal picks up the soade from just under half a meter away radius on number 1 and depth about 2 meters on the same setting .
Shame its a PI machine and no descrimination but i just like finding stuff .
Cheers guys.

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 pm

As said i bought two because im eccentric i keep my sensitivity low on land because i dont want to be digging too deep on land every few steps, will be doing some beach work soon hope you find your gold ::g

Cool3water

Post by Cool3water » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 pm

I am thinking of getting a second one for the misses to use
On wet sand and settings on one still going off every twenty yards
Cant wait to go on land with it .
Kids gonna love the weekend away. They hold the pin pointers lol
And finaly find the treasure

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:30 pm

I really think i did the right thing buying two because they will eventually dissapear, they were doing cammo covers for them i got one great quality their army issue too

jarrett

Post by jarrett » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Barbarrosa,
At present have an old c scope that i was going to send for a service but that will cost about 50 quid with postage so was thinking about getting a Vallon from the auction site, it has a broken arm rest as a lot seem to have and would be about 150 quid with case and earphone etc.
I only do fields and dig everything anyway so do you think i should bite the bullet and get one

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 am

Hello jarret everyone has a personal way/style of detecting, it all depends on your own preference.
I like the vallon because of ruggedness and depth capabilities, but having no discrimination isnt for everyone, it is my main machine, but i do have others with discrim, although i now rarely use them.
Digging every signal is not for everyone, although the way the machine sounds off does give both an idea of size of target and depth, cans become really easy to i.d. for example, but if you want to be able to turn discrim on occasionly there are also loads of great machines out there,

jarrett

Post by jarrett » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks for that,i dig everything already so no worry about lack of discrimination plus the simple led display is fine for me as i am used to the meter on the c scope along with the high and low tones which i guess this does not have.

ICENI

Post by ICENI » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I only detect on wet sand in normal beach mode with sensitivity at 12 , the Vallon is an awesome machine but if you don't like digging don't buy one ::g
Garret Seahunter mk 2. with 10" x 14" Elliptical Coil.
Vallon VMH3CS
Nox 600 with 15" coil

jarrett

Post by jarrett » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Well as i dig 95% of targets it will not make a lot of difference although i will be using it on fields rather than beach and from what i have read to keep the sensitivity down at 1.

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Well your enjoy the machine anyway, and i hope you have many great finds ::g

jarrett

Post by jarrett » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 pm

It turned up today and cosmetically is in a lot better condition than i expected,it has the field instructions but i downloaded the manual and will print off when i get a chance to get an idea whats what but will have to go to the field and experiment as the house is full of signals along with the garden so may be interference.
Having given it a good look over all that appears to be missing is an O ring from the clamp that holds the coil to the upper shaft and the obligatory broken armrest, but i have a question and no doubt a lot more and that is how do you reduce the tension that holds the coil to the shaft as it is very tight, is it the black plastic screw or the small triangular thing underneath? tia.
PS managed to turn the vibrating alarm off it was terrible.

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:18 pm

Not too sure what 0 ring you mean, if anythings wrong with it send it back and get replacement if its sold as fully working it should be just that,

Return to “Other Brand Reviews”