Whats going on ?

Only topics related to the Garrett Euro ace metal detector here.
Fatpants

Whats going on ?

Post by Fatpants » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:28 pm

I am new to the hobby and loving it. I was out yesterday and found two sixpence. One silver. All went well apart from 2 signals. I was in a bog standard farmers field. Both times I had a strong signal saying 20cm or deeper. I dug about a foot and a half deep before giving up. I was still getting a good signal directly over the hole but nothing with the hand pin pointer.
Can the euro ace even detect this deep ? should I be prepared to go deeper ??
I may have to buy a JCB !.

Any advice would be great thanks.

Oxgirl36

Re: Whats going on ?

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Ok you can sometimes find big iron can be detected at considerable depth but as a responsible detectorist you should not be digging below the plough line (the depth the plough reaches).

So the answer should be no.
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

Fatpants

Post by Fatpants » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Awesome. Thanks. I made sure it was well filled in. ::g

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm guessing that the signal was coming from the side of the hole. Even though it was indicating over the centre of it, that's pretty deep so I'm thinking it may have been pinpointing off to one side.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Fatpants wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 pm
Awesome. Thanks. I made sure it was well filled in. ::g

Welcome to this amazing hobby, and well done on getting a great starter machine that is fantastic value.

Regarding never digging below plough depth its nothing to do with filling in the holes, which should always be done even if shallow (although deeper ones need more attention to ensure that they are filled in properly and will not leave a hole after they settle). The reason is that if you go deeper there is a chance that you could inadvertantly damage archeology.

Imagine if this hole that you had dug had been in the middle of an unknown Roman villa. After a few more sessions you start to find a load of Roman coins and other items, as a responsible detectorist you report them to the FLO. Due to the number and quality of you finds they decide to do a geophysical survey of the site and it shows a possible villa which they then excavate and find a wonderful mosaic ... undamaged apart from a hole in the very centre where you tried to dig this unknown target rl; rl; rl;

These days detectorists and archeologists are trying to work better together, hence the need to ensure that as responsible detectorists we do not risk damaging any buried archeology.

But as said in previous posts your target was probably either:
1) A very large chunk of rusty iron (hence giving a good "dig me" signal due to the rust - if in "all metal" you should have also seen iron) which can be detected at surprisingly deep depths.
2) At the side of the hole and pinpointing a bit off (this can happen especially if a target like a large coin is at an angle, rather than flat or vertical).

Evan

Fatpants

Post by Fatpants » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:10 am

Hi. Thanks for the great reply. I have read all the stuff about reporting finds etc. I Didnt know about not digging that deep though. Most of my finds have been within 5 inch so far. I will have to experiment at home and see if I can replicate the signals with coins at different angles.
The two signals in question where right over towards non ferrous and thick. This sometimes means a can on lynx though ha.

Count de Washers

Post by Count de Washers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 am

Fantastically strong signals that you dig for and never find, where the response is almost overwhelming is usually huge deep iron. For instance, on a beach it will be a disused Victorian sewerage pipe of cast iron. Always walk away and don't think 'What If'. ::g

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 am

hello, what setting are you using on the euro ace ?? i term these as ghost signals, but these detectors can go deep and can pick up a large plough shear so that might be some thing to consider, also air pockets can give false signals. with my euro ace i only use the sounds to determine most finds and the depth indicator, the ace pinpointer is not so accurate and often found items to the side of a hole, do you detect on your own??

Fatpants

Post by Fatpants » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:17 am

Hi. Yeah I am detecting alone atm. I have found the pinpointer to be pretty accurate so far. For the settings I am using jewelry and one step back on sensitivity. Stated off digging all the targets but got loads of junk. I now mainly dig anything towards the right that sounds good. I also need to put myself on better ground. I am just on some random farmers fields atm. The only places I have permission. The next field along has some interesting history though so i will be trying to get permission on that one next.
Thanks again for the advice. much appreciated.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 am

Fatpants wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:17 am
Hi. Yeah I am detecting alone atm. I have found the pinpointer to be pretty accurate so far. For the settings I am using jewelry and one step back on sensitivity. Stated off digging all the targets but got loads of junk. I now mainly dig anything towards the right that sounds good. I also need to put myself on better ground. I am just on some random farmers fields atm. The only places I have permission. The next field along has some interesting history though so i will be trying to get permission on that one next.
Thanks again for the advice. much appreciated.
hello, i only use in 1 setting, custom mode/ take out first black squares up to the non ferrous leaving 8/ Sense on 6 bars. even randon fields can bring up good finds, good luck

AlwaysHopeful

Post by AlwaysHopeful » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Fatpants wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:10 am
The two signals in question where right over towards non ferrous and thick.
My sons Ace 250, which is essentially the same as the Euro Ace, gives signals in the upper end of the non-ferrous range when its large chunks of iron (the display is different on the 250 so it shows as silver for us). Its always frustrating when you think you've found some silver and it turns out to be a large rusty bolt or similar!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:59 pm

AlwaysHopeful wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:44 pm
Fatpants wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:10 am
The two signals in question where right over towards non ferrous and thick.
My sons Ace 250, which is essentially the same as the Euro Ace, gives signals in the upper end of the non-ferrous range when its large chunks of iron (the display is different on the 250 so it shows as silver for us). Its always frustrating when you think you've found some silver and it turns out to be a large rusty bolt or similar!
I started with the Ace 250 (a good machine and fantasitc value IMHO) which is very like the Euro Ace. Even with more expensive machines I think that new "clean" iron will always show as iron, however once its been inthe ground a while and starts to go rusty (which is the normal case) is when it gives a much higher "dig me" signal. If you discriminate out the iron you will then only see the good "dig me" signal, but often by running in "all metal" will also show the iron and let you walk away.

An iron item with a large hole in the centre will also confuse most machines (as my scap box confirms) ;;z ;;z

Evan

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Just a point.....most of the best finds ever are found on 'random farmer's fields' with no recorded history. Just because the next field has something recorded about it doesn't mean it actually has any more history to it than the one you are on (or any less junk come to that) ...it simply means it is recorded somewhere. (On a map, a plan, a written record or the result of subsequent archaeological surveys)
Most of my best finds have come from sites where I have discovered the history for myself and there was nothing in the historical record.
So take your time with that field you have permission on and don't be in too bigger hurry to stray to greener pastures. :)
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm

In reply to your comment about a JCB , a remark oftimes passed by detectorists, especially on a beach.
Look what’s been in my back garden for two days. I’ve eyed it up a few times and thought ‘I wonder if they’d miss it ‘ :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Ladybird re u;@ u;@

The problem here is that the object is likely to be a massive chunk of iron, so if you use the JCB to dig it just think of the size of "finds pouch" you will need and the problem of trying to get it back home ..... or is there a nice little trailer parked just out of sight that you could also "borrow"?.

Evan
Last edited by Saffron on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 pm

=)) =)) =)) =)) ::g

Fatpants

Post by Fatpants » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:01 am

Ha ha ha ha. Does anyone else drive by a building site and think hmmmmmm I could detect all that digging they have done or is it just me ??
rl;

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:05 am

No Fatpants, it isn't just you. I have almost driven off the road several times because I notice things like that.

I suppose it is silly to ask if you have thoroughly detected in the wake of that digger LadyB? Hubby can't dig as much as a fence post hole without me insisting on detecting it before he finishes the job. :))
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Ferrett

Post by Ferrett » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:17 am

When I get down to around 15" and still getting a strong signal I usually fill in the hole and move on,
I'm thinking it could be a UXB ,,, :-SS

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 pm

littleboot wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:05 am
No Fatpants, it isn't just you. I have almost driven off the road several times because I notice things like that.

I suppose it is silly to ask if you have thoroughly detected in the wake of that digger LadyB? Hubby can't dig as much as a fence post hole without me insisting on detecting it before he finishes the job. :))
Hazard of the hobby I think. Just can’t help myself and worse being a passenger. Every field has a possible treasure trove hiding in it somewhere :D
I have a little personal dig on the horizon. Western Power are re-routing some power lines. One is to a brand new pole they’ve planted in my field hedge. They’ve told us they will trench and bury a line across the field opposite (not mine) use a mole to go under the lane and into the corner of my field, trench along the hedge & bury to the new pole, job done.
Now that could be interesting.

LB. No, I didn’t bother scanning, too close to the house. I could see what came out. Why are builders such messy workers. There were even off-cuts from the original windows plus the usual crap they leave behind.

Return to “Garrett Euro Ace Forum”