First time detector, introduction & find

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
Evra

First time detector, introduction & find

Post by Evra » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 am

Hi all,

Joined up a couple of days ago, have a Garrett Ace 250, only been detecting a week or so.
Just wanted to say hi to everyone and post a picture or two of a coin I found in the garden!

I bought this house back in April, it's about 200 years old but has been rebuilt about 60 years ago so thought I'd start my metal detecting journey digging up the garden! Tons of fun when you get a good signal and start the dig!

Anyway, quite alot of trash, nails, horse shoes etc but I did find a coin, or what seems to be a coin (picture posted). It says George III and on the back "In memory of the good old days 1788". I also found about 30 complete (not smashed) bottles in the ground. Most of the bottles are beer bottles, from Googling the brewery's they're all closed down now and the last closed in the 30's. A few nice looking bottles with glass toppers too, will give them all a good clean and might pop up some pictures!

I have noticed with the Garrett that the signals jump alot, it'll say silver (top end of the scale) but also jump back to iron constantly. With these types of signals should I avoid digging them? I've just been digging everything but want to try to avoid digging nails all the time (dug about 40 nails in the past week).

Anyway, enough of the rant. Nice to meet you all in advance! Look forward to reading some of your posts and posting some more of my own.

--- if this is in the wrong "forum" I apologise!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thefiggis

Re: First time detector, introduction & find

Post by thefiggis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:20 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Great first post, and the content could suit any one of about sixteen forums so I've left it where it is :D

Sounds like you're having fun and have got the bug, right enough! Hope you continue to enjoy the hobby and look forward to seeing what else turns up for you. (Your "coin" is a George III Spade Guinea token and in decent nick, too ::g )
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 am

Welcome to the forums ::g ,I also have the Ace 250 and started in August I would recomend that you dig all targets at this time to get to know the machine and what each beep means as they do change depending on whats under it good luck with searching and learning the machine ::g

TheAndyA

Post by TheAndyA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:46 am

Great find!
Garrett AT Pro Intenational
Garrett Carrot

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 am

Hi
You're on the trail now!
Good first find-now for a real guinea ::g
All the best
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 am

Welcome to the "Newbs 'n Ace 250" club ::g
If it makes you feel better, after a year I've shedloads of agri-crud & one peasant's button :))

Keef

Evra

Post by Evra » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Haha, thanks for all the replies! Nice to see/feel a positive welcoming! :D

I'm going to head to the beach tomorrow, need to stop digging up the garden! I'll spend a few hours on dry sand (have read posts that wet sand is a nightmare!) and see what treasures I can find!

Awesome, I'll keep that token as a "first find" memorabilia! Look forward to seeing what you guys post and reading some good tips!

On a side note, do any of you guys have any good youtube videos to watch of how to "properly" detect? E.g swing, beeps, when to dig etc etc?

I'll probably keep digging up every hit but would like to watch some vids to speed up the learning process!

Thanks again to all who replied!

Cheers

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=108024
Too early for you as its planned for Spring, but this event will be aimed at newcomers like yourself. I am up at 5am tomorrow to travel down/across to Bristol area to check out the land etc and hope to post up more info later on tomorrow evening. Plenty of good videos around but also lots of unhelpful ones. The members here will guide you to the right ones to watch, best advice from me will be
Get used to your machine, do a little test bed of items and get to know the signals.
Go Slow and Low, don't rush around.
Use the factory settings first before you start to try more complicated ones.
Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:56 pm

That is a great find from the garden and I also started off in my garden using the Ace 250 , a great little machine which I still use from time to time . It took me a while to get myself a permission but to be honest the garden gave me plenty of time to get used to the machine and that really helped once out on the field and the more practice the better understanding of what to dig etc .

I managed some good coins , thimbles and a neat silver pendant as well as countless nails , screws , horseshoes and even part of an old plough ! I also found the cottage bottle tip and had quite a few nice bottles amongst the usual rubbish alongside plenty of clay pipe stems !

Would be great to see some photos of what type of bottles you managed to unearth , they can also give you a good timeline and history of the property .There is some great help on here from many members , newbies and seasoned detectorists , all willing to lend a hand .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

jondurandsilver

Post by jondurandsilver » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi welcome to metal detecting and good luck, when the weather cheers up you'll really enjoy being outdoors digging up old stuff.
jon [:)
Hammered silver coins:21 inc cut 1/2's and 1/4's
Gold coins :0
Saxon coins :0
Roman denari :0
Matrix seals :1

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Oooh another writer has joined our midst. I like those :D welcome and look forward to your next posts ::g
XP Deus !!£$

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”