Please Help a Struggling Ace 250 Newbie

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
Saffron

Re: Please Help a Struggling Ace 250 Newbie

Post by Saffron » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:32 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Hello again. I've been using the ACE 250 for a few weeks now. Mainly on beaches, dry sand, pebbly beaches, and even wet sand. I've made quite a number of finds, ranging from a mysterious 'silver' looking necklace with 'diamonds' on it (can't see any hallmark,) to very annoying black rocks that like to 'kid on' that they are metal.

Over the weeks, I've become more familiar with the machine's limitations, and have developed more realistic expectations. I am quite confident that my machine is not defective, and is performing as it should. I've also invested in a second hand pinpointer off Ebay, which has greatly reduced the number of abandoned holes I dig.

Once again, thanks for all the help. I really enjoy taking my metal detector out on a regular basis, even if I don't hit 'Viking Gold.'
That is great news, pleased that you have made "quite a number of finds". I suspect your detecting technique is now much better than when you started, and knowing the machine makes a massive difference.

Re the "mysterious 'silver' looking necklace with 'diamonds' on it", if you are not sure what it is then get it checked out, its probably a kids one and cheap metal and paste but you never know. Not all silver is hallmarked (it could be from overseas or low quality) - I found a signet ring the other week that I thought was silver but it was not hallmarked so got it checked out and they confirmed that it was (but as not stamped they could only call it "white metal" so only worth £10).

I find a pinpointer significantly reduces the frustration when trying to locate a very small target and makes the job so much easier, so well done on getting one.

Newcomers often think that every outing will produce great finds, it does not happen that way!, so initially you might have been expecting too much, but its great to see that you have now "developed more realistic expectations" but are still enjoying the hobby.
To put this in perspective I had an hour on the beach on Saturday and found £3.20, I consider this a good day as parking was £2.20 so I was a pound in profit ::g
On the down side early in this thread causes for "falsing" were given including renforced concrete from seawalls, at one point I did try to dig a slipway - I did not believe how far it stretched down the beach, nor how deep it was rl; ;;z

Evan

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:14 am

Hi again,
Very pleased for you ...
That viking hoard is out there somewhere!
It might be the next bleep.
The offer still stands if you fancy digging up some musket balls and iron in the borders.
All the best
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

slipper

Post by slipper » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:47 am

I would like to thank the OP and all the contributors for this thread. As a newbie still deciding on a machine for beach and a 250 was foremost, this thread has made me rethink (yet again) lol.
Thanks all, great thread and amazing help from everyone.
Red Racer

veryoldshep

Post by veryoldshep » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi my friend , as a 250 user my advice is go to the local park , and try differant coins , just get used to the tones, i used all metals ,sensitivity 4 just to ruleout some irons. discrim out the first 2 modes (iron)... play with the g250, get to know it, maybe finding a coin or 2 will help, And as you say central scotland mybe a farm or three around you, wont hurt to ask the land owner.Just dont give up. theres lots to found by you yet..spend time with your machine ,it does pay off.
Look to the future n dig the past.

ivortripod

Post by ivortripod » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Dear Sir :
My tip is don't bother with salt water beaches at all.
Anything down there is going to be corroded to hell...
Stick to freshwater fringes or pasture land and eventually you'll be better off ;)

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 pm

ivortripod wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 pm
Dear Sir :
My tip is don't bother with salt water beaches at all.
Anything down there is going to be corroded to hell...
Stick to freshwater fringes or pasture land and eventually you'll be better off ;)
Yes, I've noticed that several items I've found on the beach, look like they have been 'sand blasted beyond recognition.'

I've read that many people say the Ace 250 is not a 'beach machine.' I am just a beginner and can't comment on that. It certainly works fine on dry sand, my finds in the first few weeks, are mainly modern coins, lost jewellery (not valuable in my opinion,) children's toys dating back to the 60's, lost fishing tools etc, etc.

The downside I've found though, is that on most popular beaches, there is tons of junk; mainly ring pulls, drink cans, and foil. I am not at the level yet where I can I confidently rule these items out before starting to dig a hole. Another negative factor, is that on some beaches there are what is known as 'hot rocks;' stones with some sort of metallic content that set the detector off.

I recently tried a slightly less popular pebble beach, at water level (only a few cm,) and I was uncovering WW2 era items, a totally worn down coin (25mm by 25mm possibly silver,) and old house fittings (maybe Victorian.)

As for the 'silver' necklace, I'll need to get it measured/photographed, and posted on the ID forum here. It looks 'oldish,' Victorian type design, 20 small diamonds, and ruby in middle, but no hallmark.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

ivortripod

Post by ivortripod » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:04 pm

I was pleased to see that you found replies on here helpful, must say I regularly find a good many genuine 'posters' on this forum :;@

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”