Anyone Tried ACE250/NEL Tornado on Beach?

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
detectorman5050

Anyone Tried ACE250/NEL Tornado on Beach?

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi

I quite like watching the videos of '180 Felixstowe Hunter' on Youtube. He uses an ACE250 with Nel Tornado coil:

Beach Detecting with ACE250/NEL Tornado

He seems quite happy with the ACE250/Tornado setup, and it inspired me to try the same on the beach. However, I have to say I just cannot get used to it. The ACE is constantly going off, and it's more like torture than metal detecting.

I tried notching out the junk stuff, lowering sensitivity etc, but just could not get used to it, and went back to the standard coil.

I have to point out that on the beaches I detect on, I don't get significant problems with 'falsing' using the standard coil. The only 2 issues I experience are 'hot rocks' and the ACE standard coil not reaching deep enough in soft, water logged sand near the tide mark.

I also have to say that I reckon my NEL Tornado is working correctly, because when I took it to the woods, it worked as you would hope for.

So has anyone else out there tried the above setup on beaches, and if so, what was your experience?

Koala

Re: Anyone Tried ACE250/NEL Tornado on Beach?

Post by Koala » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 pm

All beaches are different

The more testing the beach the small the coil the better.

The more the machine false the slower you have to swing

Lowering the sensitivity to a lower level will often give better results than trying to pick a signal from the chatter

At the end of the day its not a beach detector. Some beaches you just not be able to tame.

sweepstick47

Re: Anyone Tried ACE250/NEL Tornado on Beach?

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello 'Detectorman5050' Quite simply put, I think you are asking the large coil to perform
to it's full potential in conditions that prevent it. It's widely accepted that the main advantage of using a larger than standard coil, is improved ground cover. On rare occasions, and in ideal conditions, if the detector is set-up correctly for the prevalent conditions, it is possible to gain a slight improvement in terms of depth penetration.

It's necessary to realise that when beach detecting, once salt water enters the equation, the negative minerals contained in the sand become positively charged which the detector circuitry 'sees' as a positive target, so produces a positive indication (in this case a 'spurious/false' signal. If the distance between the wet sand and the coil varies with your swing, there will be false signals galore so it's very important to maintain constant search coil height.

To some limited extent, the situation can be improved by minor reductions of the sensitivity control setting and where applicable, accurate ground balancing. However, sensitivity reductions will also reduce the depth potential of your searching, not a good thing if the reason for buying a large coil was to gain more depth. Hope this helps. Good Luck ::g Regards ss47

Note: My references to 'large coil' means any make, not just the one quoted. Of course FBS coils and large coils on PI machines and are not included in the observations above. :D
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”