Is a silver signal really silver?

Only topics related to the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector here.
shaggybfc

Is a silver signal really silver?

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi all, I have the Ace 250. When out on the pasture field on Sunday, I picked up a great silver signal - max bar on the scale, showing at 6" deep. So with excitement, I dug out the sod and located my silver item. My excitement soon passed when I saw what looked like a modern looking furniture knob or foot with some mortar stuck on it. Once out, it still returned a maximum bar - Silver signal.
So my question is, what other metal would return such a strong signal?

Andi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Newbie, December 2017. Garrett Ace 250.
Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare and Adjust.

smudge.g

Re: Is a silver signal really silver?

Post by smudge.g » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm

The 'silver' signal doesnt mean silver per se, just high conductance target. that could also be copper or bronze too. Even large iron can give a false high signal. Good luck.
As the Germans 'might' say:-

"SchvinginbleepindigginundFindenstuff!!!"

new XP Deus/11in coil: 1 silver sixpence 1 foot down!! most impressive.

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 pm

I’ve a deus and on this you get high tones for all the following so I imagine big lead, or 50cal bullets,Bronze etc will have the sound of silver on your Garrett. Unless it’s small silver.
2018 hammies. = 69(including quarters, halves and broken)
Saxon = 3
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold ring. = 0

Dom

Post by Dom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm

My Hammy came out an unimpressive 30 and have yet to have a silver come up as silver. Though I'm
new to this, mostly a large chunk of iron comes up as silver with iron undertones on the vdu. I wouldn't take too much stock to the vdu and use it as secondary consideration to the sound.
I am using a different machine however, but from what i gather no machine can accurately predict metal content.
It's a thing i've been struggling with too... and lots of iron later...

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 pm

The scale on the Garretts (and possibly other machines) are in my experience, along with target depth, next to useless. I used to pay attention to the number/readings on signals on the 400i as I was learning to use it but ended up merely going by the tones. I've subsequently done the same with the Deus.

Personally, I trust my lugholes more than any readout, but others prefer the numbers. Depends what suits you.
John

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks chaps. I've never had a signal that's was consistently so strong. It was such a clear 'ping'. With the likes of copper, aluminium and lead, the signal was strong but jumped a few notches.
But hey, it does go to prove - 'Dig everything'

Andi
Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare and Adjust.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Perhaps the shape contributes to the super strong sharp signal?
On my GMP a big round rusty as iron ring will sound incredible and sweet....
Or not.
Either way..get it dug up
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Dom

Post by Dom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 pm

Oh yeah :)) , an iron washer sings so sweet! Got quite the collection now and i'm only 4 days into this hobby.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 am

Dom wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 pm
Oh yeah :)) , an iron washer sings so sweet! Got quite the collection now and i'm only 4 days into this hobby.
One day the iron washer will turn out to be a gold merchants ring
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 am

thefiggis wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 pm
The scale on the Garretts (and possibly other machines) are in my experience, along with target depth, next to useless. I used to pay attention to the number/readings on signals on the 400i as I was learning to use it but ended up merely going by the tones. I've subsequently done the same with the Deus.

Personally, I trust my lugholes more than any readout, but others prefer the numbers. Depends what suits you.
Agreed.

Depth
Size
Orientation

A detector has no idea what's in the ground. It assumes everything a average coin size

The best discriminator is the spade.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:34 am

About the only thing that you can do with a silver id scale is to test whether a coin sized object actually out of the ground is likely to be silver. Even then most times your eyes will be much more reliable. 😁

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 am

Dom wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 pm
I have a great collection of galanized horseshoe nails. These give off a great signal and the double ding.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:22 am

Quite a learning curve, isn't it; and somewhat off putting to newbies?

I remember swinging my EuroAce over my regular beach and getting a nice top end double ding signal. Investigation of the target produced a lovely gold signet ring but five minutes later an identical signal produces a broken, copper jacketed, lead/antimony filled, 0.303 WWII projectile. You win some, you lose some!

After eight years of regular detecting, I no longer take any notice of detector depth indications and treat target id with a little scepticism. Some discrimination is to be welcomed though and if you doubt that try swinging a CS4PI, a machine that has no discrimination. The CS4PI is a superb beach machine, that is totally unphased by saline beach sand but will have you digging for the Olympics on a scrappy beach!

Stay safe, stay well, and if it rings dig it.

Chris ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 am

If it beeps dig it. Even on top end machines it generally means nowt. Got a 25-?? On 3030 which when got out turned into a 12-?? With no iron in the hole. With the dues with hf coil been getting 72 's that have been deep iron. The only time I take notice of no 's is on clean beach and then 86 woz generally old £1. BUT not always 100% I think most machines are calibrated for US coinage ?

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Junior wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 am
If it beeps dig it. Even on top end machines it generally means nowt. Got a 25-?? On 3030 which when got out turned into a 12-?? With no iron in the hole. With the dues with hf coil been getting 72 's that have been deep iron. The only time I take notice of no 's is on clean beach and then 86 woz generally old £1. BUT not always 100% I think most machines are calibrated for US coinage ?
The only real option is to dig them all unless you are one of the rare beasts who are comfortable leaving Roman gold in the ground. :D

As I keep banging on about the target IDs at depth (numbers or sound) are even more suspect than when targets are shallow. With the CTX if you take out a spit and the sound gets more irony then it generally is iron but if it improves then it is probably deep non ferrous. ::g

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Yep Fred on 3030 if it spits you have to go back over it slooooowly. It's an annoying thing doing it poss 2/3 times but it is what it is. Silver hammies on dues ive had from 38 up to 82 so far. There's been no coinage below 30 other than I havnt walked over it yet !!!! Prob missed loads by having what disc I do run.

targets

Post by targets » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:04 pm

quite common on many metals and minerals too ,,stainless steel bolts and washers are just like silver TIDs..
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Return to “Garrett ACE 250 Forum”