Really confused and frustrated

Only topics related to the Garrett ace 150 metal detector here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Anubis
Posts: 1672
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: Classified Location near Norwich, Norfolk
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Really confused and frustrated

Post by Anubis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Ive been using my 150 at my parents today as I still have no permissions, their house is quite old and has a shingle driveway.

I was using the 150 in jewelry mode and getting mixed signals so I lowered the sensitivity to 2 bars, instantly it identified pull tab, I dug and it's a pull tab, great I'm thinking, next I get a solid coin signal I dig and it's a £1 coin.

At this point I think I've got it figured, wrong, another solid coin shows up I dig and it's a chunk of lead, then mixed signal nickel and coin, I dig but can't locate the item.

I figure back to the drawing board so I put the £1 coin on the grass to try and identify where on the coil the coin is locating, seems like its the whole coil, the coin was on the surface yet the 150 shows the death to be 2" to 4"

Right now I am in a state of confusion I'm finding stuff but it is really random, at times I get a jump between iron, rings, coin, and it's quite frustrating.

Any experienced 150 users who could help me with some advice?

Thanks in advance guys


Minelab CTX 3030 6" Coil.
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Makro Pro Pointer.
Stainless Steel Digging Tool.
Stainless Steel Sand Scoop.
Minelab Deluxe BackPack.

https://m.youtube.com/user/searchforlosthistory

pinkypixie
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by pinkypixie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:26 pm

You will get used to the sounds your detector makes and what it's telling you. Give it time.

I have the ace 250 and only ever use it in all metal and all sensitivity. You will miss stuff if you discrim. A silver hammered coin can come under the ringpull tab. Also, knocking off any bars in sensitivity makes the detector not as deep.

The reason it was between 2" and 4" when it was on the suface was probably because you'd got it in the air above. It will always show as 2" even when on surface because it hasn't got any less thatn 2" on you machine

Hope that helps ::g

Grifftron
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Grifftron » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Lead gives a cracking signal on all machines mate. The 150 doesn't have a pinpoint function so it will be more difficult to zone in on a small target like a coin.

The depth indicator is not massively accurate as it depends on the size of the object.

Try moving around any dodgy targets by 90' see if the response firms up to a good one.

Also if you really want to pinpoint get a garret pro pointer, this will stay with you for any detector you ever get.
ETRAC
Garrett Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Cider
http://griffsmetaldetecting.weebly.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.somersetmetaldetecting.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonmotion
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: yapton west sussex

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by nonmotion » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:49 pm

I have a 150 and have the same problems. Wish i never got it. depth meter never right, it hates the beach. never pinpoints the target to less than the size of the coil, sometimes finds things that are never found, its heavy and makes my arm ache, its loud and its yellow. ;;z
One pound coins for 2012 so far = 180! 2013 =6

pinkypixie
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by pinkypixie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:08 pm

nonmotion wrote:I have a 150 and have the same problems. Wish i never got it. depth meter never right, it hates the beach. never pinpoints the target to less than the size of the coil, sometimes finds things that are never found, its heavy and makes my arm ache, its loud and its yellow. ;;z
The 150 doesn't have a pinpoint function ;)

nonmotion
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: yapton west sussex

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by nonmotion » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:30 pm

pinkypixie wrote:
nonmotion wrote:I have a 150 and have the same problems. Wish i never got it. depth meter never right, it hates the beach. never pinpoints the target to less than the size of the coil, sometimes finds things that are never found, its heavy and makes my arm ache, its loud and its yellow. ;;z
The 150 doesn't have a pinpoint function ;)
Mine does, its called waving it about in all directions over the target and hope you dig in the right spot. ::g my nephew had the 250 which was better at pinpointing as it has pinpoint button but was still loud heavy and yellow. =))
One pound coins for 2012 so far = 180! 2013 =6

pinkypixie
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by pinkypixie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Haha! I'll agree it's loud and yellow, but it's not at all heavy it's very light weight, one of the reasons I had the 250 ;)

excavator
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by excavator » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:46 pm

The Garretts are good starter machines, you've just got to learn them the same as you would for any other machine.

Don't take too much notice of the depth guide, they give a rough indication of depth for coins lying horizontally under ideal conditions. If it's lying on it's side, or isn't a coin at all, then the depth guage is likely to give a false indication. Don't try to become too reliant on it.

As for the actual coin, don't forget British coins are different compositions of metal than the American coins for which the Garrett is calibrated - that doesn't mean it's no good, it just means you've got to learn by experience where British coins will show up on the scale. Metal detectors don't identify coins, they measure conductivity, and lots of different metal objects will have conductivities that are the same or similar to the specific coins or other objects you're looking for. Which means you'll frequently dig up things you don't want, or you can choose to discriminate them out and then you'll miss some of the things you do want. That's something you'll have to learn to live with, and it's no different than for any other machine.

As for the pinpoint, there is none on the 150, there is on the 250 I use, but it's crap, and I don't use it. Instead I've learned to do small swings from side to side over the target while moving slowly back & forth, and then turn 90 degrees and do the same, until I can visualise the precise point on the ground where the target is. With practice you can use this method to pinpoint very accurately, as I do.

Finally, again with practice you'll learn the signals your machine gives you - not just differentiating the iron grunts from the higher notes, but by watching the display, by differentiating 'good' solid signals from jumpy, inconsistent ones, that may not be worthy of digging.

It's a learning game, you can't just pick up a detector and expect it to make you rich, you have to use it lots and learn how to interpret what it's telling you. Just stick with it, and good luck ::g

User avatar
Anubis
Posts: 1672
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: Classified Location near Norwich, Norfolk
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Anubis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks for the comments, I have no problem with the weight it just seems very inconsistent to me but that may be down to my inexperience. Guess time will tell.
Minelab CTX 3030 6" Coil.
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Makro Pro Pointer.
Stainless Steel Digging Tool.
Stainless Steel Sand Scoop.
Minelab Deluxe BackPack.

https://m.youtube.com/user/searchforlosthistory

pinkypixie
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by pinkypixie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm surprised you've found the pinpointer useless on the 250 excavator, I've found it a godsend, works every time :-/

User avatar
Anubis
Posts: 1672
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: Classified Location near Norwich, Norfolk
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Anubis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 pm

My finger is hovering over the proceed to checkout on the pro pointer, really must resist. :D
Minelab CTX 3030 6" Coil.
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Makro Pro Pointer.
Stainless Steel Digging Tool.
Stainless Steel Sand Scoop.
Minelab Deluxe BackPack.

https://m.youtube.com/user/searchforlosthistory

Maximuswarks
Posts: 8811
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:50 am

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Maximuswarks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:57 pm

i use the 250 and find the pin pointer to be very accurate as long as you find the sweet spot on your coil there was a section on the sweet spot on the coil on here somewhere.Once you have found that spot on the coil it makes life easier, i found mine to be towards the back of the coil ::g Also the pro pointer is amazing but you still really need to pin point the find down as much as possible before you pop your pro pointer into the hole :))
What we do in life echoes in eternity

nonmotion
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: yapton west sussex

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by nonmotion » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Anubis wrote:My finger is hovering over the proceed to checkout on the pro pointer, really must resist. :D
Do it. i know its expensive but you wont go without once you have one. ::g
One pound coins for 2012 so far = 180! 2013 =6

Sheriff
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Sheriff » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:37 pm

excavator wrote:The Garretts are good starter machines, you've just got to learn them the same as you would for any other machine.

Don't take too much notice of the depth guide, they give a rough indication of depth for coins lying horizontally under ideal conditions. If it's lying on it's side, or isn't a coin at all, then the depth guage is likely to give a false indication. Don't try to become too reliant on it.

As for the actual coin, don't forget British coins are different compositions of metal than the American coins for which the Garrett is calibrated - that doesn't mean it's no good, it just means you've got to learn by experience where British coins will show up on the scale. Metal detectors don't identify coins, they measure conductivity, and lots of different metal objects will have conductivities that are the same or similar to the specific coins or other objects you're looking for. Which means you'll frequently dig up things you don't want, or you can choose to discriminate them out and then you'll miss some of the things you do want. That's something you'll have to learn to live with, and it's no different than for any other machine.

As for the pinpoint, there is none on the 150, there is on the 250 I use, but it's crap, and I don't use it. Instead I've learned to do small swings from side to side over the target while moving slowly back & forth, and then turn 90 degrees and do the same, until I can visualise the precise point on the ground where the target is. With practice you can use this method to pinpoint very accurately, as I do.

Finally, again with practice you'll learn the signals your machine gives you - not just differentiating the iron grunts from the higher notes, but by watching the display, by differentiating 'good' solid signals from jumpy, inconsistent ones, that may not be worthy of digging.

It's a learning game, you can't just pick up a detector and expect it to make you rich, you have to use it lots and learn how to interpret what it's telling you. Just stick with it, and good luck ::g
I agree with Pinky - Excavator - your pin pointer broke if you think its crap or your using it wrong, I locate my targets really easy to about a half foot plug. I dont want to sound patronising but watch youtube there are videos that shows you a technique to pin point succesfully.
ace 250

roadwarriormax
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:36 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by roadwarriormax » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 pm

all machines do this ,for instance a signal that says coin on the detector , does,nt always mean it will be coin :) its just a rough guide ,same goes for the depth indicator ,the depth indicator is only accurate to coin sized targets ,so usually when i get a depth indication of 6 inches ,chances are if the target is twice as big, it can be anything upto 9 to 10 inches even thou the machine says 6 ,the display on most machines, is only to give you some information about the target , but its no way a 100% accurate ,and should not be taken as gospel ::g ::g
roman coins=79
roman brooches=12
rings=5
roman mounts=8
denarius=7
silver coins=87
you lucky,lucky :)

whites4900/d pro plus gb/max blackbox version
fisher f75SE+GSXR750 98 + rucksack = happy camper :)

User avatar
Anubis
Posts: 1672
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: Classified Location near Norwich, Norfolk
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Anubis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks to everyone for their reassuring comments, I feel a bit better about it now, guess its a case of practice makes perfect. :))
Minelab CTX 3030 6" Coil.
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Makro Pro Pointer.
Stainless Steel Digging Tool.
Stainless Steel Sand Scoop.
Minelab Deluxe BackPack.

https://m.youtube.com/user/searchforlosthistory

User avatar
Anubis
Posts: 1672
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: Classified Location near Norwich, Norfolk
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Anubis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:43 pm

On compacted gravel should I turn my 150 down to 2 bars to eliminate conflicting reads?
Minelab CTX 3030 6" Coil.
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Makro Pro Pointer.
Stainless Steel Digging Tool.
Stainless Steel Sand Scoop.
Minelab Deluxe BackPack.

https://m.youtube.com/user/searchforlosthistory

excavator
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by excavator » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:32 am

Anubis wrote:On compacted gravel should I turn my 150 down to 2 bars to eliminate conflicting reads?
No matter what sort of ground you're on, use it on as high a sensitivity as it will let you, otherwise you just lose depth. And keep it in all metal as much as poss, otherwise you risk missing good bits as well as bad. Only start discriminating if the iron grunts get too annoying.

The biggest problem you'll have is 'falsing' from large, irregular shaped, or rusting bits of iron in the ground. With time you'll learn to recognise these and avoid digging them if you choose. Read up about the halo effect, if you get one way signals or ones that chop & change around, stick your trowel in the ground and wiggle it around and then try again - if it turns to an iron grunt then it's probably not worth digging.

Just keep at it, watch the display every time, and you'll soon get the hang of it ::g

excavator
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by excavator » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 am

Sheriff wrote: I agree with Pinky - Excavator - your pin pointer broke if you think its crap or your using it wrong, I locate my targets really easy to about a half foot plug. I dont want to sound patronising but watch youtube there are videos that shows you a technique to pin point succesfully.
Tbh, it's probably me, I haven't given it a fair chance, though it doesn't bother me as I've perfected my own technique - you say you can pinpoint to a half foot plug, I can do better than that without it - I'll dig a circular plug the diameter of my trowel width, no more than 4", and 9 times out of 10 it'll be in the plug or sitting right in the side of the hole.

My lad also has a 250 & we always detect together, he uses his pinpointer and is happy with it, maybe we should swap detectors and he can check if mine's OK, but as I say, I'm happy doing it my way now, personal preference I suppose :D

Fishermansam
Posts: 4926
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: South Hams, Devon
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Fishermansam » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:50 am

pinkypixie wrote:but it's not at all heavy it's very light weight, one of the reasons I had the 250 ;)
If you think thats lightweight you should hold a deus :-O
After using my deus for 4 months then holding on to my friends 250, i thought god blimey this weighs a ton :))
Image

If a robber ever breaks into my house looking for cash, i'll just laugh and look with him

Biglol
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:35 pm
Location: East Devon
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by Biglol » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:33 pm

roadwarriormax wrote:all machines do this ,for instance a signal that says coin on the detector , does,nt always mean it will be coin :) its just a rough guide ,same goes for the depth indicator ,the depth indicator is only accurate to coin sized targets ,so usually when i get a depth indication of 6 inches ,chances are if the target is twice as big, it can be anything upto 9 to 10 inches even thou the machine says 6 ,the display on most machines, is only to give you some information about the target , but its no way a 100% accurate ,and should not be taken as gospel ::g ::g
The machine says 6+ at max so if the target is 9 inches it will still say 6+ as it cant go higher :)
so it is not a false reading

Biglol
Biglol

Garrett AT PRO, Ace 150, Pro Pointer

User avatar
liamnolan
Moderator
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland
Has thanked: 1035 times
Been thanked: 717 times
Contact:

Re: Really confused and frustrated

Post by liamnolan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Must be a bit of a record, this topic started off in July 2012! Good to see that you are still around Simon and also that you are a member of the new club in Poringland! Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Post Reply

Return to “Garrett ACE 150 Forum”