whats the best mode?

Only topics related to the Garrett ace 150 metal detector here.
baggy

whats the best mode?

Post by baggy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Will I still find coins on jewellery mode, I started on all metal but nails and shot gun cartridges keep coming up.

Jewellery mode found the musket ball but is this the best mode to be on.

Have read somewhere that Jewellery mode and sensitive level 3 is ideal :-/

GARRETT ACE 150
1 old number plate
3 horse shoes
1 musket ball

usarfireman

Re: whats the best mode?

Post by usarfireman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I used to use all metal and notch the first three bars out to reduce the iron, everyone digs up shotgun cartridges though ;;z
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro International, Xpointer, Makro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer, Minelab Sand Scoop, Deteknix Rechargeable LI Wireless Headphones for Garrett AT Pro

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:56 pm

All Metal mode would be the best option,if you use Jewellery mode you will strangle your detector,you will still dig shotties it makes no odds what detector you use,most of them have brass ends and you still want too dig all brass items,iron should give a different sound but depending on how big it is once again it will still fool any detector.

This is why its best when you buy any new detector to put a few common items including iron on the ground and pass your coil over them and try and learn the various tones they give off ::g
Last edited by Mega B on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trident11 http://www.hideones.info TDI Pro

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi mate ,as above, I use the AT Pro and a shot gun cartridge is in the same range as some roman
coins just like those Ring pulls can be the same as a thin gold ring. so you are cutting down your chances the more you discriminate. we all dig rubbish its all part of detecting.
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:32 pm

I had a 150 used her in all metal, cant do much about the cartridges, jewellery mode as has been said you will miss stuff, good luck
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Nails are a nuisance because they can ring out as silver sometimes, but generally they tend to jump about the range a bit. Dig the good two way signals, ignore the iron grunt sounds as they will be trash. Shotgun caps and ring pulls, dig them all as you might get a surprise once in a while. Coil nice and low to the ground and slow sweeps.

Good luck!! [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

stevieB

Post by stevieB » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:11 pm

I used to notch out the first three also and one off sensitivity, should help you to dig less iron.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 pm

I don't have your detector but a whites Classic but had the same problem when first starting out.
You have to learn your detector.

If you turn the disc up you will loose genuine targets.

You always get a few nails. Depends on the ground size of nail orientation if they are galvanized and how corroded they are.

As you see there are a lot of variations for the metal detector to cope with.

Sometimes you get a good signal sweeping down the nail (or long iron object) but broken signal if swung at 90 degrees this will nearly always junk.

One mistake I was making was sweeping too fast in iron infested areas. This puts lots a targets under the coil and confuses it.

Best tip I can give you is take your junk home and use them to practice on and try different settings on. Don't just try one at a time scatter some on the floor the try and identify them from a good target.

Nothing you can do with shot gun cartridges and ring pulls. It's part of metal detecting. Just counted up the last couple of trips I have 22 ring pulls ;;z but any one of them could have been a ::g target.

justinbell

Post by justinbell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:44 pm

You will have to dig up shotties and ring pulls in order to be in with a chance of good finds. From my experience, some hammies and gold appear in the same region.Yes, you will get hacked off with shot gut cartridges, ring pulls, foil and medicine tubes but one day it will be a good find when you turn the sod over. Believe me!
Every field has a coin and a story
http://www.youtube.com/user/justinbell1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Garrett AT Gold with Nel Attack coil

Garry Corbett

Post by Garry Corbett » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Well said justinbell you never know what is going to turn up next, patience is a virtue and all good things come to thoese who wait Lol cheers Gaz :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

A Quatermain

Post by A Quatermain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 pm

usarfireman wrote:I used to use all metal and notch the first three bars out to reduce the iron, everyone digs up shotgun cartridges though ;;z
Eh up mate,i have read my 150's manual back to front a few times and was wondering how you notch out the first three bars? I only know how to use the three preset modes,i didn't know you could custom ise the modes on this machine. ;p
The past is behind us the future is to come but now is a gift thats why its called the present.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi

ELIM can also be used to modify the Notch Discrimination Scale to reject a specific type of trash while detecting all other metal. When a trash metal is audibly detected while hunting, simply push the ELIM button to create a notch where the Target ID cursor signaled the presence of the trash.

A Quatermain

Post by A Quatermain » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Am a little confused here.Is this not the Garrett Ace 150 forum? Only there are some members mentioning functions and buttons that aren't on the 150. :-L
The past is behind us the future is to come but now is a gift thats why its called the present.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:19 pm

A Quatermain wrote:Am a little confused here.Is this not the Garrett Ace 150 forum? Only there are some members mentioning functions and buttons that aren't on the 150. :-L
Sorry my mistake I was quoting from an online 150/250 manual as the question had gone unanswered. Should have checked.

Return to “Garrett ACE 150 Forum”