Disappointed

Only topics related to the Garrett ace 150 metal detector here.
Whitestar1235

Disappointed

Post by Whitestar1235 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Had my 150 for almost a week and bit dishartened because I've only found tin cans foil and pie tins. Although I've found a 100 year old horse shoe, an old light bulb and a penny!

Please advise
Whitestar

lord lovell

Re: Disappointed

Post by lord lovell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:39 pm

keep you head up fella the next signal could be a hammered the more you go out the more you will learn what machine is telling you it take years to master ::g

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:40 pm

anyone can use a detector but not everyone can be a detectorist ::g

DAVYBFAST

Post by DAVYBFAST » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:42 pm

a friend of mine found the find of the year with an ace

you just got to walk over it m8.

and get out more ::g

f8met

Post by f8met » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:47 pm

Don't be too worried. I was out for 3 hours today on what should be a fantastic site but it has nothing in it but modern trash. I too was fed up of hitting foil, tin cans, ring pulls and big iron. I found 1 modern 2p in the whole day.

Trust me, it is not you, just the site you are on.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:52 pm

keep swing you got to dig bad to dig good ::g

Jason5223

Post by Jason5223 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:58 pm

You will get a lot of days like your first week. I don't mean to sound nasty but here is the honest truth. If you have come into this hobby with ideas of finding treasures galore or piles of medieval, saxon and roman finds then please give me first refusal on your machine as I will have it as a backup.

If however your willing to accept the fact that you may have many more weeks or perhaps months of finding rubbish then I would suggest that you re-read the manual over and over and learn how to use the machine properly and all its settings.

Find more permissions as the land you have may be quiet for decent finds but somewhere on the land there will be interesting finds, like they say, you have to walk over it to find it.

Good luck for the future and here's hoping your finds rate gets better and more interesting ::g
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."

robr

Post by robr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:01 pm

What I have recommended to a few I have met doing detecting for the first time is, to give you confidence, locate your nearest sledging slope, walk up and down the hill, fill your pockets with coins + the odd bit of jewellery.....this will get you used to your new machine.....hope this helps ::g don't forget though, you will still find some junk as well as lot's of coins.
I took a newbie to our local slope in Feb this year, I had over £30 and he got £20 + all in under 2 hours.....give it a go!
Deus
WS4 Headphones
JCB for digging

ifindbuttons

Post by ifindbuttons » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi I started with the 250 the first time out all I was digging was foil and large iron been detecting for 3 years now and totally hooked If you have some land you can always put a post in the find a buddy section someone will come and help you out with the settings on the 150 and show you the ropes its not all swing and dig there is a lot of field craft as well happy hunting and all the best chin up and keep at it kev ::g ::g ::g ps hope this helps

Whitestar1235

Post by Whitestar1235 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Although looking on the bright I've only been on my land around my field and garden

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:20 pm

We only tend to post up our good finds, I have been out many times and come home with not one single coin or good find, all is forgotten when you find something nice ::g

Dave &*(
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Collman

Post by Collman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Ive had my 150 for 10 months now and most of the time i find very little stuff but ive had some great finds including a couple of hammy's. i know the 150 can be frustrating at times and i know that i miss alot but when i eventually replace it for a better machine i will be able to go over the same spots again and it will be like starting from virgin fields again...( or what i hope). Also my 150 has given me some amazing finds with some pretty old items and to be honest i just cant wait to get out with it every time... I just love detecting and you just never know what might pop up!! Good luck ::g
Garrett AT PRO International + NEL TONADO
ACE 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
Draper Mini Spade + Blackadda Spade
PERSEVERENCE..!

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:25 pm

hi m8 it normally takes more than a week to get to grips with a new machine ,at least you are digging some signals ,just stick with it ::g
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

omegamike

Post by omegamike » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Disappointed! :-L you ought to try my fields..... 3,000 acres of not much at all x; still looking though, just the odd (and I mean very very odd) hammy or Roman to keep me interested but mostly 99.9% of 'tat' 8-| We all have bad days, weeks and months although I have to say I'm getting on for 2 years now :-O Keep at it, one day you will walk over something that will bring the faith back and keep you interested...... until the next find ::g
If in doubt...... DIG IT!

ironage

Post by ironage » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:28 pm

keep goin , you'll find something in the end , stay focussed ::g ::g ::g don't give up.........
you've got to go over it.........

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:31 pm

I ONCE and only once took someone out with me new to detecting they had your machine and all they kept saying was how many gold ring bracelet etc will i find today i said listen you will find more rubish than good if you find somthing its a bonus they had seen my collection and thought it was easy forget it ::g

Scott T

Post by Scott T » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Stick at it Whitestar ::g . It's a learning curve ( had my 250 since easter but i have been sidelined by a hernia for a while, getting back out now), every time i do get out i find i'm getting more used to my machine. I've dug so much iron and foil, but i'm recognising the sounds now. That's not to say i've dug some very interesting iron finds, 17th century horse shoe, old axe head (prob late 18th/19th c), little lead battle ship and the biggest nail i've ever seen!

Finds will come ;)
Just enjoy yourself :D
Happy hunting ::g
Last edited by Scott T on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donington Mudman

Post by Donington Mudman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:44 pm

You have to dig a lot of holes and walk a lot of miles to get the results you see on this forum, keep at it ::g :D ::g
DEUS
See my finds here https://imgur.com/a/Ya63r?s=sms

PDAquinas

Post by PDAquinas » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 pm

The 150 will find you things mate. It isn't a top end machine by any means but it is a good machine.

The key to it is to enjoy what you are doing- the fresh air, the exercise, the solitude, the anticipation.
You will dig plenty of rubbish and you have to be prepared to dig rubbish. All the better if you can narrow your definition of what is rubbish and find interest and enjoy researching whatever you find. I've got a little collection of 'junk' that I've spent hours researching. I also really enjoy researching things for people on here. That means I am never desperately disappointed and can usually make some enjoyment out of the day detecting wise.

If it makes you feel better i am certain you would probably have dug even more rubbish on your first time out with a high end machine! The beauty of the 150 is it is simple and you will learn quicker what to ignore. And believe me and the others on here- it is more than capable of pulling out the good stuff. As I say though try and widen what you count as the good stuff and you will get much more out of the 150 and the hobby in general.
Cheers

Phil

JBM

Post by JBM » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Whitestar1235 wrote:Although looking on the bright I've only been on my land around my field and garden

Give it time and if possible get out with a experienced detectorist.

You may be surprised at what a little practical help can do for you. ;) Jerry.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:20 pm

you should have been with me 2 weeks ago. i was out for 6 hours and apart from the iorn signals i had none at all not even lead and thats usually everywhere, had to keep putting my spade to the coil just to make sure i was on ;;z

neil.
Just using the Force Image

shoveller

Post by shoveller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Keep going mate, where abouts are you from?

janner53

Post by janner53 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:15 pm

In situations like this a wise old man told me something once that I'd never forget.

.... but as i have forgotten what he said I always wonder in situations like this what it was the old fart said.

Chin up, your turn will come ::g.
Last edited by janner53 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XP Deus 3.2
C.Scope CS4PI
Garret Ace 250
I dig, you dig, we dig, he digs, she digs, they dig. ......
...OK, It's not a beautiful poem, but it's very deep.

cord74

Post by cord74 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Your time will come whitestar ::g ::g

Just keep your head down and put in the time ::g

Its hard work sometimes but the rewards can be great ::g ::g

All the best

Dave
ctx3030
Garret PinPointer
Nokta Rs pinpointer

George 1 Gold Guinea
1958 10k Gold ring
9k Gold ring
9k Goldlocket
13 Silver Hammered
7 x Halfcrowns
15 silver shillings
3 Silver spoons
8 Silver rings
5 Roman

rugerrog

Post by rugerrog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Mate its like most hobbies, you go through good and bad patches and at the start it all seems to be bad patches ,don't look at trash as a bad thing try to get as much "feel" for the signal before you dig it and when you do dig it up and it turns out to be a fray bentos tin ( or a gold stater) learn from your machine.
Every signal tells you something and over time you will become tuned in to what the machine is telling you.

The other thing is you have to pass over an object to find it and sometimes it just aint there !!! :D

Im running a CTX and one of my permissions has loads of lead bits on it trust me you think you dig some rubbish but every now and again a bit turns up interesting, I also dig ring pulls and tin foil, trouble is mine are 10 inches down in clay and pebbles ~x( still makes the heart race though
Keep at it and view the rubbish as training
Good luck
Rog
CTX3030
Minelab Pro Finder
Loads of enthusiasm

stevieB

Post by stevieB » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 pm

A week is nowt mate to learn the ins and outs of your machine. Keep at it andf the finds will come, i promise you.

Nomis

Post by Nomis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 pm

not much i can add to whats been said to you buddy ....we all dig rubbish the fields are not paved with gold at all . ;) ...but there are finds out there waiting to be found by yourself ..it will take
time to learn the sounds/tones .....if you can bury a few bits in your garden do some test
runs over them to get an idea of what a coin/silver gold sound off at ...make sure your
wearing headphones as your hear odd scratches in the tone to say if good or bad.

also try to find a local club to join ...and even try a rally ...ok rallies are not guaranteed to find
but you get some very good advise and get to see how its done.

keep at it mate
Deus.v3.2 :Garrett euro ace:Vista Smart: Garrett pro-pointer:ss spade:

hauntedqueen

Post by hauntedqueen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Don't lose heart, it can be frustrating at times, I thought I was never going to find anything decent, I tried a new field and started to get nice stuff, and today I found my first hammy, do don't give up, keep practising and think positive, you're time will come!

Michelle
XP Deus 3.2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Joan Allen Hercules Spade
Evolution Extreme Blade & Camo Sheath

StoneFace

Post by StoneFace » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:55 pm

Whitestar1235 wrote:Had my 150 for almost a week and bit dishartened because I've only found tin cans foil and pie tins. Although I've found a 100 year old horse shoe, an old light bulb and a penny!

Please advise
Whitestar
Hi Bud,
I'm fairly new to the scene and had my Ace 150 for several months.

I'd say the most important thing is location really, if it aint there you aint gonna find it. The 150 has found plenty for me including; silver jewellery, musket balls, lots of modern coins and a handful of older from 1900-1966 plus recently I found a german jetton circa 1600s.... so there's hope for you yet ;-)

I mainly use my detector on Jewellery mode which picks up everything but iron and using sensitivity 3, unless i'm on a public path which i detected recently and sensitivity 2 is perfect as the depth of mud on the path is shallow. Swing speed is important too... not too fast and not too slow so you get more covered ;-)

Find a 'dead cert' area if you can and if you put the time in, the rest will come.

Cheers
Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pin Pointer.

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:01 am

A week is NOTHING ... Man up and get out there!!

You won't find anything at home!
Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

Return to “Garrett ACE 150 Forum”