Only topics related to the Garrett ace 150 metal detector here.
chlorinator

Post by chlorinator » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi everyone. I`m a total newbie. I bought a Garrett ace 150 some time ago, in the hopes that my nephew who has aspergers, and lives with myself and my wife, would enjoy the hobby. After one outing to our local beach and finding only trash, he never agreed to go again, until recently when he agreed it would be good exercise for us both to scan the beach, but this time take waste bags with us to remove the trash we find. ( happy to perform a public service). I can almost guarantee he will be into it, after we have a few decent hits. I hope so. If not, I guess I`ll be going it alone. Gonna wait till its a bit warmer tho.

gizzard

Re: newbie

Post by gizzard » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Welcome and good luck with your beach hunt.
Garrett AT Pro Int
Garrett Euro Ace
Garret Pro Pointer II
Spade, Bag, Hat and Gloves
Ring pulls..... lots of ring pulls

Owain 1405

Post by Owain 1405 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Welcome to the forum ::g
History is never black & white, just shades of grey

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:47 pm

Hello 'chlorinator' Welcome aboard to you and your nephew ::g Hope the next outing proves to be a success and brings an added and active interest to your nephew. Be lucky. ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

dexters shed

Post by dexters shed » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

chlorinator wrote: I can almost guarantee he will be into it, after we have a few decent hits. I hope so. If not, I guess I`ll be going it alone. Gonna wait till its a bit warmer tho.
also having a stepson with learning difficulties, would it be wrong to drop a few £1 coins as you walk, treading them into the sand, then telling him to check "these" areas,

chlorinator

Post by chlorinator » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks for advice. Sadly he has had years of being tricked and deceived . He knows I would not do that. I couldn't betray his confidence. Though he does deal with facts very well. He knows for a fact that he does need to loose weight. I'm sure he'll be fine with it once we dig something cool. PS. I love this forum. Thanks to all. ::g

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi Chlorinator and welcome to the forum.
I have a fair bit of experience with Asperger's and also the Autism Spectrum in general as my wife and myself make the Sensory weighted blankets and lap pads.

I fully understand the not wanting to deceive, but maybe turn it around another way.
You mention your nephew likes and deals with facts well.....So instead of trying to drop coins in the ground in the hope of finding them, why don't you put it another way.
Maybe mention to him that it would be a good idea to find out exactly how the machine works so we can get the best out of it.
Gather some modern coinage, maybe some jewelery (but dont bury in wet sand, you may not find it again lol) some old pre decimal coins etc...
Then maybe your nephew could have his notebook and write down the responses you get when you go over the items that are buried..
No deception involved, facts needed to be recorded and it may spark an interest once you both learn and see how the machine acts on different items...
Either way good luck....
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

chlorinator

Post by chlorinator » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks for that. As I say tho, when it gets a bit warmer. It gets pretty windy at the beach, and cold at the moment. Will give it a go though.

Return to “Garrett ACE 150 Forum”