at pro ground balancing query

Only topics related to the Garrett AT Pro metal detector here.
jon_boy

at pro ground balancing query

Post by jon_boy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:40 pm

hi all,

im not too sure if i have an issue or if its something im doing wrong! when i do the auto ground balance the read out barely moves if at all sometimes! if i set it up at gb99 it will go down slightly. When on the beach it just wont balance at all on the wet sand. this is my second at pro as i sold the first one, no fault of its own just that i gave the hobby up for a while.

when you do the pump action while in ground balancing mode i remember my old machine used to settle until silent and balanced (gb60-70 on fields and gb10-20 on wet sand).

my problem is, when performing the auto GB action the machine wont settle and continually has that GB sound(fellow at pro users will know this sound, i hope!!) i then have to manually guess what gb level to set it at, and am worried i have this wrong, and also have a faulty machine?

i have taken off the coil checked all connections, cleaned the machine, changed batteries, factory reset, changed the frequency, tried the goliath coil i have, unplugged headphones, removed mobile phone from the area and had a nice clean part of the field

thanks in advance guys

GARRETT AT PRO INTERNATIONAL
GOLIATH 15" DD COIL

2018 HAMMERED -
2018 ROMAN - 8

"The life given us, by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal"

chip

Re: at pro ground balancing query

Post by chip » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Another thing you could try (which Nel advise when using there coils with the AT Pro) is to turn the sensitivity down halfway when ground balancing and then turning the sensitivity back up afterwards.

Hope this helps. ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

jon_boy

Post by jon_boy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 pm

chip wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm
Another thing you could try (which Nel advise when using there coils with the AT Pro) is to turn the sensitivity down halfway when ground balancing and then turning the sensitivity back up afterwards.

Hope this helps. ::g
ive never thought of this! nice one i will try it out tomorrow ::g
GOLIATH 15" DD COIL

2018 HAMMERED -
2018 ROMAN - 8

"The life given us, by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal"

jon_boy

Post by jon_boy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 pm

i tried reducing the sensitivity down and still no joy. i set the GB at zero then it steadily went up to 54 bu this took a good minute of pumping to get to that? any idea on the process of returning for testing/repairing?

also is there a rough guide to what the GB is for wet sand/pasture/ploughed/and woods in the uk?

thanks
GOLIATH 15" DD COIL

2018 HAMMERED -
2018 ROMAN - 8

chip

Post by chip » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Try sending regtons an email, I think they are the importers/representatives of Garrett in the uk.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

deepdigdave

Post by deepdigdave » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi - yes I think that you have a problem there, thre readings on your first AT Pro sound to be the same as mine , 70 to 80 on average grassed or ploughed fields and on the beach on wet sand the reading on mine is somewhere around 19 or 20, higher on damp sand and a lot higher on dry sand.
I hope that Regtons can help you out.
Cheers -- Dave

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 am

Yup not tried mine at the beach but when I press ground ballance and pump the coil it has the echoy sound which gets quieter. Mine ballance at 81 to 84 on wet soil with clay at about a foot and a half sown with slate running through it. Sometimes it still chirps afterwards dn turning sensitivity down one notch or two max and it corrects it. Use it for a few seconds then bring up the sensitivity to full again and it's fine.

I'd check the coil to control box connection and that it's tight. It took days to get mine to fully tighten until it stopped slowly undoing itself.

Other recommendations that I watched were:

Make sure it's clean inside coil cover protector.
New batteries.
Coil lead is tight to stem not flapping round coil

Big one and this is really important .... phone off. Mine does make mine go ape if it's connected to the Internet even if it's in a breast pocket and in a call it's unusable.

Keep spade well away from.coil. it'll chirp if it's 2 feet or less near it.
Wearing waterproof trousers .... zips in kegs will make it chirp as will press studs
Near under or over powelines or phone lines
Engines running without inhibitor nearby ... our boiler causes chirps.
Smart wrist watches make mine go ape.
There are a few others but I can't remember them all I'm afraid.

Good luck though
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

jon_boy

Post by jon_boy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 am

thanks everyone, i have sent an email off to regtons lastnight so will wait to see what they say. I have tried everything stated above and have no problem with chatter etc when using the machine on solid ground. The problem is only when auto GB on land. Also it wont settle in the water when trying to detect.

Will update when i get a reply from regtons ::g
GOLIATH 15" DD COIL

2018 HAMMERED -
2018 ROMAN - 8

jon_boy

Post by jon_boy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:34 pm

still haven't got round to sending off, does it matter that the receipt is not in my name? (it hasnt been registered yet)

when i do the gb test in my garden or on the field outside my house it works straight away, but then once i get onsite it sticks again? so im not sure if its the ground thats doing it? on 99 it wont budge, then on 00 it slowly moves up????

other than this it works fine, when i was out friday i just had this sense that im missing targets for incorrect GB setting!
GOLIATH 15" DD COIL

2018 HAMMERED -
2018 ROMAN - 8

jon_boy

Post by jon_boy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Bump
GOLIATH 15" DD COIL

2018 HAMMERED -
2018 ROMAN - 8

Return to “Garrett AT Pro Forum”