New to me AT Pro

Only topics related to the Garrett AT Pro metal detector here.
geoff

New to me AT Pro

Post by geoff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:58 am

I get my machine tomorow,I fancy getting in my local streams, I bought the little coil as an alternative to the stock coil.
I have been using the etrac for years now, with great results, & will continue to use it, alongside my new machine.
No doubt I will be asking a few questions along the way, & hopefully showing my amazing finds! x;
First question, with the headphones provided, can I immerse the detector,as long as I keep the headphone earset out of the water?
Also, if using no headphones, is there a 'bung' to blank off the connector outlet on the machine to prevent water access?

Enough stupid questions for now, thanks for any answers. :)

Etrac & AT pro.

Titus Pantus

Re: New to me AT Pro

Post by Titus Pantus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 am

Morning Geoff. As far as I am aware, the whole unit including headphones are waterproof. Don't take my word for it mind, check and make sure. From what I have heard, the AT pro is a beauty of a machine, but as with them all, you must learn how they react accordingly. Let us know how you get on mate. Good luck!! ::g
Teknetics G2+ LTD
Garrett PP
Makro Waterproof Pointer
All the Evolution Gear

bammcon93

Post by bammcon93 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:09 am

The black land phones aren't waterproof but you can buy some that are (blue) the machine does come with a screw on bung but the speaker in the machine isn't very loud, this I found out a few weeks ago when my headphones went on the fritz and had to call it a day as I could hardly hear it best of luck with the pro and happy hunting ::g

Coxabeeper

Post by Coxabeeper » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:52 am

Had mine well over a year now and it's been great, had hammies gold sovereign, roman artifacts!!! The unit is completely water proof... At the end of a session I wash it under the outside tap!!! And it has never got water in it, ever! ::g
If ring pulls were currency, i would be a friggin millionaire !!

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:47 am

Thank you, that answers my questions on the AT. ::g

I joined the forum back in the early days of my computer literacy, & somehow scrubbed the computer of most of my links, only stumbling on the forum again in my search for info on this detector! rl;
Glad to be back on here, & will certainly get involved & show my new finds, ( had a few great finds in my interlude from here too).
I started out with a minelab Sovereign GT, which was a fine machine, had an exterra 705, a very good detector, & ended up with an etrac, which I'm sticking with.
Looking forward to the AT pro, both for the water detecting on my permissions, & some field work in certain areas that have produced the odd celtic, I'm sure the etrac has done a fine job, but firmly believe that a completely different detector will sometimes snag out missed targets, especially in difficult ground.
Etrac & AT pro.

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you TF, I had the machine out today, just going over some pasture that I have bashed hard over the years, I seem to be getting tuned in with it.
No great finds, but got to dig a few bits down to airgun pellets in size, so no issues with sensitivity.
Those headphones look rather nice! =P~
Etrac & AT pro.

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks TF, yes I was using pro mode, & ran some tests with the machine, very fast recovery, which is useful to me, I have some rather large spoil heaps from a large drain relief lake, full of iron, & with the etrac I pulled two celtic coins, along with a few roman.
As you can imagine, I have roasted these mounds, but did pull a few non ferrous fragments from amongst the iron with the At, the surrounding ground is ancient pasture, so little chance of getting much else from that, but the rabbit burrows get a good look when they are digging! :D
Etrac & AT pro.

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Here are the gold coins from the land I mentioned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Etrac & AT pro.

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:00 pm

I just ordered a small coil for the AT, I will have a look at the big coil. :)
Etrac & AT pro.

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:12 pm

So do I!
:D
Etrac & AT pro.

egon999

Post by egon999 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:06 pm

My headphones have had 2 proper soakings in bad weather (and I mean proper) and they still work fine.
::g
Veni Vidi Detecti!

deepdigdave

Post by deepdigdave » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:26 pm

On the subject of headphones for the AT Pro, you might find that the garrett phones that come as standard on the AT are really heavy and uncomfortable and the coiled cable coming from the control box tends to get in the way a bit, one solution is the Garrett adapter.
The adapter plugs into the control box and terminates under the armcup, it does mean that any headphones with a jackplug can be used, handy if the original phones pack up, you still have the Garrett patent waterproof connector into the control box of course so the detector is still fully submersible ( not the phones earpieces obviously. its expensive at £30 quid but well worth having.
All the best with your AT - happy hunting
Deepdigdave

geoff

Post by geoff » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:31 am

deepdigdave wrote:On the subject of headphones for the AT Pro, you might find that the garrett phones that come as standard on the AT are really heavy and uncomfortable and the coiled cable coming from the control box tends to get in the way a bit, one solution is the Garrett adapter.
The adapter plugs into the control box and terminates under the armcup, it does mean that any headphones with a jackplug can be used, handy if the original phones pack up, you still have the Garrett patent waterproof connector into the control box of course so the detector is still fully submersible ( not the phones earpieces obviously. its expensive at £30 quid but well worth having.
All the best with your AT - happy hunting
Deepdigdave
That is a great tip, thank you. :)

I have had a bit of a problem, & your tip might solve it. The blanking cap that you fit if you wish to use the machine in water without headphones was not in the box with the machine, I contacted the dealer, & they have the cap, but without the gasket to create a waterproof seal.
I bought this cap, realised the seal was missing, & contacted the dealer again to purchase one, to be told I would have to sort it out myself as they had none & could not get one.
I have searched high & low trying to find something suitable to no avail, I wanted to use the machine without the phones in water, & cant do this.
Maybe the plug adapter might give me a solution, any other suggestions are more than welcome, as I am stumped, & the supplier will not help. :(
Etrac & AT pro.

geoff

Post by geoff » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:45 am

It is a superb machine TF, just the grommet/ gasket thingemybob, thinking about all the hassle of sending it back, & having also bought a second coil for it, it might be easier to machine up an alloy cap with a tap washer to fit, or use ptfe tape, just a bit concerned that if it did leak I would get left 'high & dry' so to speak! x;
I'm going to talk again with the importer/ dealer & give them another opportunity to help out, these things happen, & it is a little frustrating, but hey ho, I feel like the old monarch who in desperation shouted out, ( slightly changed for my purpose), ' My kingdom for a grommet'! :D
Etrac & AT pro.

ukglyn

Post by ukglyn » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:45 am

Try speaking to Regtons in Birmingham to see if they can sort you out with the grommet. Always been more than helpful when I have spoken to them. Got to be worth a call ::g
Garrett AT Pro
Garret Pro Pinpointer
Lots to learn

geoff

Post by geoff » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:40 am

ukglyn wrote:Try speaking to Regtons in Birmingham to see if they can sort you out with the grommet. Always been more than helpful when I have spoken to them. Got to be worth a call ::g
That is where I got it from, word is now it is on order, but has no part number, so it's ptfe tape, & off to get wet with my fingers crossed. :)
Etrac & AT pro.

ukglyn

Post by ukglyn » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:44 am

geoff wrote:
ukglyn wrote:Try speaking to Regtons in Birmingham to see if they can sort you out with the grommet. Always been more than helpful when I have spoken to them. Got to be worth a call ::g
That is where I got it from, word is now it is on order, but has no part number, so it's ptfe tape, & off to get wet with my fingers crossed. :)
Good luck ::g
Garrett AT Pro
Garret Pro Pinpointer
Lots to learn

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:49 am

if all else fails mate contact garrett direct im sure they will send you one ::g

[email protected]

neil.
Just using the Force Image

bammcon93

Post by bammcon93 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:15 pm

just go to a car spares and get one they're just a rubber sealing ring take the cap with you to get the right size measures 18mm and will be a fraction of the cost ::g

geoff

Post by geoff » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:59 pm

I taped it up for now with ptfe plumbers tape, seems to work as I have been in the river for a test run & all went well.

Very good little machine in fresh water, nice sharp signals in a very heavily iron infested stretch of water, I am very impressed with the performance. ::g
Etrac & AT pro.

Petey1231

Post by Petey1231 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:13 pm

Get the gray ghost amphibians I use them and only them now
Makes the machine very versatile - great comfort better sound and
Volume control - cost £120 but worth it

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:37 pm

I love my pro but it was designed by an leprechaun... the headphones aren't waterproof (but the rest of the machine is :)) ) , and the headphone cable is too short, so pulling your headphones off when you put the machine down.. Also it is possible for the lead connector screw fittings to work loose, so advise tightening them securely before every submersion...
Hope that you have some more cracking finds...
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

geoff

Post by geoff » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 am

I agree on the headphone cable being too short, I continue to use ptfe plumbing tape on the headphone thread, & so far this has been ok.
The at pro overall, is a great little machine, waterproof, sharp & fast are the good points for me. :)
Etrac & AT pro.

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:05 am

Merry Christmas to you and yours Geoff.

I don't know if any would be suitable but earlier this year I needed an "O" ring for a plumbing job but in order to get one I had to buy a box full of assorted sizes. If you think any would be of use please contact me with the diameter and I can send you some.

With your drainage relief site I think the potential is so good that you need to search in all metal, as even with the fastest recovery machines around you will miss good finds. You don't need to try and clear it in a day, just do as much as you can bear and I'm sure you'll be rewarded. I've done it when voluteering on archaeological digs and it's not as bad as it seems.

Hope 2014 is going to be a great year for you and look foward to seeing your finds.

atb, Mark

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:36 am

Thank you Mark, very kind offer, I have now sourced the grommet, Regtons took one off a display machine & posted it.
I continue to use the tape, as it seems to prevent the the cap coming loose, & in my opinion offers a better seal too.
Great advice on the detecting too!
Wishing you, & everyone else on here a joyful Christmas. :)
Etrac & AT pro.

pat c

Post by pat c » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:31 pm

have a look for o ring kits on flea bay -not expensive and handy to have around ..

geoff

Post by geoff » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks Pat, I'm all sorted now, rivers round here are too full to get in, but when the levels drop I will take the plunge again! ::g
Etrac & AT pro.

Tankerd

Post by Tankerd » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 am

geoff wrote:It is a superb machine TF, just the grommet/ gasket thingemybob, thinking about all the hassle of sending it back, & having also bought a second coil for it, it might be easier to machine up an alloy cap with a tap washer to fit, or use ptfe tape, just a bit concerned that if it did leak I would get left 'high & dry' so to speak! x;
I'm going to talk again with the importer/ dealer & give them another opportunity to help out, these things happen, & it is a little frustrating, but hey ho, I feel like the old monarch who in desperation shouted out, ( slightly changed for my purpose), ' My kingdom for a grommet'! :D
Hi mate try a washer for a tap as a gasket.

geoff

Post by geoff » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:13 am

Great idea!
Etrac & AT pro.

Return to “Garrett AT Pro Forum”