continual noise

Only topics related to the Garrett AT Pro metal detector here.
Post Reply
teignsaxon
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

continual noise

Post by teignsaxon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi just bought a 2nd hand garrett pro from Crawfords. Have just been messing around with it in the garden but seem to have continual noise all the time how can I get rid of this ?? any ideas. Also best settings for beach detecting wet salt sand. All ideas gratefully received, spike



chip
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: continual noise

Post by chip » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Have you ground balanced and maybe drop the sensitivity a few bars.

Boandtia
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: continual noise

Post by Boandtia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Make sure the coil plug is fitted properly and tight, same with headphone plug if you are using them.
Fit good quality new batteries, and the fit the holder properly and the holder is connecting properly with the contacts.
Check for power lines near you, causing interference.
Settings for salt water wet sand, 2 or 3 notches down on sensitivity, and ground balance carefully.
For me is around 15, I use Pro in coin mode, discrimination standard 35.
Hope this helps.
HH
Minelab Excalibur 11
Garrett AT Pro International
Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2
Garrett Propointer.
Makro Waterproof Pointer.
Flask of coffee / brandy
Plenty of fags
A lot of patience

teignsaxon
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: continual noise

Post by teignsaxon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 am

chip wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm
Have you ground balanced and maybe drop the sensitivity a few bars.
Many thanks for all that info lets hope that will solve the problem spike

teignsaxon
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: continual noise

Post by teignsaxon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am

Boandtia wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Make sure the coil plug is fitted properly and tight, same with headphone plug if you are using them.
Fit good quality new batteries, and the fit the holder properly and the holder is connecting properly with the contacts.
Check for power lines near you, causing interference.
Settings for salt water wet sand, 2 or 3 notches down on sensitivity, and ground balance carefully.
For me is around 15, I use Pro in coin mode, discrimination standard 35.
Hope this helps.
HH
many thanks for all that info will try it all and hope that works, many mnay thanks spike

User avatar
Blackadder43
Moderator
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: continual noise

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 am

Get out of your garden....
Think when your house was built, if on a new estate the filling of your gardens with rubbish before the top soil was placed.....services like cables, gas pipes, water pipes, think of all the wifi interference from every house
Think of bonfires in your garden from years past, al the metal items from the burnt rubbish
Soo many variables in a garden that unless you actually clear it yourself and make a pure earth test bed you stand no chance of getting the detector to settle down.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

User avatar
Blackadder43
Moderator
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: continual noise

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am

Boandtia wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm
I use Pro in coin mode, discrimination standard 35.
Hope this helps.
HH
Not sure if you know but "often" coin mode on detectors, especially USA make detectors have a metric tonne of discrimination already set in them, and think that Hammered coins are not found in the USA and they have a conductivity level that falls into the foil area so USA modes discrim foil out of the range, you could actually be missing hammered coins in the UK by using a pre set coin mode
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Koala
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 280 times

Re: continual noise

Post by Koala » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Is it a constant high pitch buzz?

teignsaxon
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: continual noise

Post by teignsaxon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Koala wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 pm
Is it a constant high pitch buzz?
no its just like a continual hum

User avatar
Blackadder43
Moderator
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: continual noise

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm

teignsaxon wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

no its just like a continual hum
Thats a threshold sound, which on the Pro is taken away by correctly ground balancing the machine.
And a cluttered garden will not allow a proper ground balance
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=97511&sid=1af7a8e8 ... 2dcb75e41b
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

teignsaxon
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: continual noise

Post by teignsaxon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm
teignsaxon wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

no its just like a continual hum
Thats a threshold sound, which on the Pro is taken away by correctly ground balancing the machine.
And a cluttered garden will not allow a proper ground balance
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=97511&sid=1af7a8e8 ... 2dcb75e41b
thanks for that I will try that in the morning, great help. spike

Wormdigger
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: Isle of Axholme
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: continual noise

Post by Wormdigger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm

I just traded my AT Pro into Crawfords just before Christmas. I wonder if it is the same one! It is a great machine and I found loads of stuff with it but like you, when I first bought it I wondered if I would ever make any sense at all of all the noise it was making. As previous posters have said...1, Ground balance, 2 Get out of the garden and 3, get rid of all the iron noises by turning the iron audio off. On some good grounds I had to waggle my spade in front of the coil occasionally to be sure it was still working it ran so quietly. Keep practicing and listen to the sounds that it makes and it will be a great machine.
Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokts Pointer and worm digging equiment.

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 5946
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: continual noise

Post by oldartefact » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 pm

I commiserate ... as I have an innate distrust of technology..
But hopefully they included an instruction manual.. and am sure will be very willing to discuss any issues via their helpline ... I would be calling them at 9am prompt.
I never let suppliers ... of any product or service .... off the hook, its your money after all.
The good thing is that you made the purchase from a supplier you can trust... unlike me when I did a private purchase and got stung, but thats another story.
The best find of all is happiness

teignsaxon
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: continual noise

Post by teignsaxon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:04 pm

I think I have sorted it out thanks to all the people who posted replies to me. Crawfords were brilliant and I would use them again for used or new machines, many thanks to Black adder and all the others spike [:) [:)

tigerseeker
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: continual noise

Post by tigerseeker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am
Boandtia wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm
I use Pro in coin mode, discrimination standard 35.
Hope this helps.
HH
Not sure if you know but "often" coin mode on detectors, especially USA make detectors have a metric tonne of discrimination already set in them, and think that Hammered coins are not found in the USA and they have a conductivity level that falls into the foil area so USA modes discrim foil out of the range, you could actually be missing hammered coins in the UK by using a pre set coin mode
Ooooh now I'm a bit worried. I run my Euroace on modified coins mode - first 4 off discrimination only and all others in. What would you suggest (if anything)?
Thanks
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Propointer II
Determination

User avatar
Blackadder43
Moderator
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: continual noise

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 pm

tigerseeker wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm


Ooooh now I'm a bit worried. I run my Euroace on modified coins mode - first 4 off discrimination only and all others in. What would you suggest (if anything)?
Thanks
Your mission should you choose to accept it is:
Spend some time looking through our Euroace forum and see what the general concensous is on settings.
If it were me i would be putting it into an "all metal" mode
This means i will hear every signal the machine sees
This forces you to do some digging and learn what type of signal goes with what find, you will soon learn the iron grunt and learn to ignore it if it is not accompanied by a decent high tone that can be isolated
It sounds complicated, it sounds like hard work, but in my opinion the rewards later down the line will be worthwhile
Just to add i have never owned a Euroace, but have been out with a couple of people who did, they always ran all metal with either a tickle of discrim or none at all

This message will self destruct in 5----4----3----2---1----Boom!!
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

tigerseeker
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: continual noise

Post by tigerseeker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 pm
tigerseeker wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm


Ooooh now I'm a bit worried. I run my Euroace on modified coins mode - first 4 off discrimination only and all others in. What would you suggest (if anything)?
Thanks
Your mission should you choose to accept it is:
Spend some time looking through our Euroace forum and see what the general concensous is on settings.
If it were me i would be putting it into an "all metal" mode
This means i will hear every signal the machine sees
This forces you to do some digging and learn what type of signal goes with what find, you will soon learn the iron grunt and learn to ignore it if it is not accompanied by a decent high tone that can be isolated
It sounds complicated, it sounds like hard work, but in my opinion the rewards later down the line will be worthwhile
Just to add i have never owned a Euroace, but have been out with a couple of people who did, they always ran all metal with either a tickle of discrim or none at all

This message will self destruct in 5----4----3----2---1----Boom!!
::g
Many thanks - mission accepted!

Hopefully this psycho weather will calm down and I can give it a run this weekend.

Agent All Metal signing off....
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Propointer II
Determination

Post Reply

Return to “Garrett AT Pro Forum”