Garret ground hog metal detector issue

All other Garrett metal detectors that do not have their own relevant forum please post here.
gillybean0368

Garret ground hog metal detector issue

Post by gillybean0368 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:04 pm

Good evening. I am new to the forum. I am wondering if anyone can help..when I turn on the detector sounds like it comes on but doesn't pick up..I know it's not the batteries as when I disconnected it from the box the detector blurring out really loud as though I had it on full volume. I replaced the battery tray and that's not solved it either. Any advice would be appreciated..thank you

sweepstick47

Re: Garret ground hog metal detector issue

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi and welcome aboard the forum. In order that you receive help, can you please supply more information regarding the detector and the settings you are having trouble with. Thanks.
Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Arrgh!, It seems I missed the Ground Hog in your title! rl;

One of the problems regarding the Ground Hog was the alignment of the pins on the PP3 battery tray. Bearing in mind the Ground Hog is an old timer now being 40 yrs since it's release!

The battery tray pins, are prone to damage being quite easily bent or even broken. The most common fault lies with corrosion due to leaking batteries or over zealous replacement of the slide-in tray assembly so those would be the first areas I would be checking.

The next frequently experienced problem is the coil-cable to control box housing. The cable has an exterior silver grey covering (if it's the original) and it is very easily damaged by repeated unintentional knocks and also suffers from the effects of being repeatedly removed resulting in potential damage to the wiring within. Close inspection of the coil cable is a must especially at the point where the cable enters the coil.

These detectors were very good in their day but were very soon outgunned by the by the arrival of VLF Motion detectors. Hope this helps you identify the problem. Regards ss47

gillybean0368

Post by gillybean0368 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi Sweepstick.... Thank you for your advice. I will have a look at that and see what happens.

gillybean0368

Post by gillybean0368 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi People. Its working. I havent taken it out yet since I fixed it....so fingers crossed.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Good, Keep us informed about your first session with it. ::g Good Luck - Regards ss47

Return to “Other Garrett Models Forum”